Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I've got my Drama exam looming in the next few days, and am playing a kid. He is 3 years old and therefore is energetic, and at the moment am finding it particularly difficult to do the character justice as such a young child.

And, the fact that my voice doesn't exactly reach a very high pitch doesn't, too, help.

Does anyone have any tips surrounding voice (the pitch, tone and kind of language I could use), movement (body language, posture, gestures?) and energy?

That would be so so so greatly appreciated!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    A 3-year-old BOY by the way

ReputationRep:
    I regretfully inform you I'm not an expert on three year old boys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yepthatsme)
    Hiya,

I've got my Drama exam looming in the next few days, and am playing a kid. He is 3 years old and therefore is energetic, and at the moment am finding it particularly difficult to do the character justice as such a young child.

And, the fact that my voice doesn't exactly reach a very high pitch doesn't, too, help.

Does anyone have any tips surrounding voice (the pitch, tone and kind of language I could use), movement (body language, posture, gestures?) and energy?

Thanks
    just play childish, and extremely affective (emotional). I'm sure you'll do fine!

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you try and watch the musical 'Blood Brothers' - Maybe you can find it on Youtube? (Stage version, of course. I don't even think there's a film of it.) If you don't know of it already, long story short it's about two twins who were split apart - and it shows their whole life span, including childhood. Instead of getting child actors, the adult actors be children in it. I'll leave some links : P

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help guys

Will have a look at those links, thanks!

Any more tips? SPecific things i could do with my hands feet/voice?

ReputationRep:
    be really expressive with your face and maybe if your character is listening to somebody for a while then start to fidget because children get bored pretty quickly - either that or stare off into space with an open mouth
    in terms of voice: if your character is sad/angry, really emphasise it with making their voice low
    and if they are happy or excited be quite loud and talk fast
    and if they are explaining something, speak quite slowly and fidget abit and say alot of "and um" 's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yepthatsme)
    Hiya,

Thanks
    the voice can be solved by letting someone punch you in the family jewels
    movement just drink a ton of sugary drinks and be hyperactive for the next few years of your life

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.