Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiaaaaa

Next year I'm gonna apply for uni and I want to do PPE/ Politics and Philosophy anyone who can give me some advice what uni to choose?

atm I'm thinking:
    Oxford - I'll probs have the necessary grades but apart from that I dont expect to have chances but yeah still worth it a try

Manchester - absolutely love the city and they have the option of a year/term abroad which I loved to do!

Edinburgh for Politics and Philosophy - the city is great and its cheaper to study there as a EU citizen plus the reputation is good, but as a downside ill be really far away from my boyfriend

York - beautiful city and good reputation, but rather quiet?

Bristol for Politics and Philosophy - great nightlife and city and close to lots of friends

I haven't considered Warwick bc its in the middle of the nowhere and no uni in London, I really can't afford that...
    So what do you think, any uni I have forgotten and which is worth it to consider, or any thoughts on my choice?
    Btw, my grades will easily be good enough for Oxford but as I am German currently doing the German Abitur I expect my language proficiency to be a problem which is why I don't just settle for Oxford. Plus I don't know if I am actually that kind of person who can cope with that much stress, so I've chosen it mainly because of its reputation and I wouldnt be too sad if they dont take me.

Thanks for replies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elnino1.0)
    Hiaaaaa

Next year I'm gonna apply for uni and I want to do PPE/ Politics and Philosophy anyone who can give me some advice what uni to choose?

atm I'm thinking:
    Oxford - I'll probs have the necessary grades but apart from that I dont expect to have chances but yeah still worth it a try

Manchester - absolutely love the city and they have the option of a year/term abroad which I loved to do!

Edinburgh for Politics and Philosophy - the city is great and its cheaper to study there as a EU citizen plus the reputation is good, but as a downside ill be really far away from my boyfriend

Bristol for Politics and Philosophy - great nightlife and city and close to lots of friends

I haven't considered Warwick bc its in the middle of the nowhere and no uni in London, I really can't afford that...
    So what do you think, any uni I have forgotten and which is worth it to consider, or any thoughts on my choice?
    Btw, my grades will easily be good enough for Oxford but as I am German currently doing the German Abitur I expect my language proficiency to be a problem which is why I don't just settle for Oxford. Plus I don't know if I am actually that kind of person who can cope with that much stress, so I've chosen it mainly because of its reputation and I wouldnt be too sad if they dont take me.

Thanks for replies!
    I would definitely consider Essex! Its (i think) the most international University in the UK.
    Its one of the best for political degrees
    Ranked top for research
    Free year abroad
    Genuinely a nice community university
    Its also an hour away from London, not really expensive and good transport links
    The modules for PPE are good and the grades are quite low for somewhere so good! (BBB)

ReputationRep:
    Hiaaaaa

atm I'm thinking:

Thanks for replies!
    Oxford is easily the best, do try your hardest to get into oxford

ReputationRep:
    I'd say apply to Oxford, no matter if you think you will stand a chance or not.
    I am German too and I applied for Oxford PPE for 2016 entry and I got an interview, but finally got rejected by them. Still, I think the experience is worth it and I actually want to try again this year (for 2017 entry) because I enjoyed being there so much.
    I don't know much about the other unis you listed, though I heard that York is very good for PPE.
    I applied to Warwick, Durham, LSE and UCL apart from Oxford and I ended up getting offers from Durham and Warwick. But tbh I didn't think much about where to apply so it's definitely good that you are thinking about your choices much more than I did, my choices were quite risky and stupid I guess.
    What do you expect to get as a final grade in the Abitur? I know that you can't say for sure at that point but you have to remember that you'll have to make the conditional offer of the unis. Have you considered Durham? It's a beautiful place (and they are a little known for taking "Oxford Rejects" if that doesn't bother you). Their grade requirement for the Abitur is quite high though, it's 1.2 overall.
    I guess you know that the Oxford requirement is a 1,5 but I l'd say that you stand a better chance if you plan to exceed that. But there's no guarantee for anything, they might take you with a 1,5 prediction and also reject you with a 1,0 prediction. The interview performance and the TSA score are the most important factors they take into consideration.
    And you don't really need to worry about English language requirements, first of all, you don't have to have them at the time you apply but only until the end of Juli in (in your case) 2017. So there's time for preparation and for somebody having English at school in Germany the IELTS isn't that hard (I really recommend IELTS over Cambridge). I did hardly any preparation and scored 8.0 and I know people who scored even higher. The requirement is "only" 7.0 btw and if you aren't too bad in English at school (which you probably aren't if you apply to Oxford) you will easily make that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lhabte)
    I would definitely consider Essex! Its (i think) the most international University in the UK.
    Its one of the best for political degrees
    Ranked top for research
    Free year abroad
    Genuinely a nice community university
    Its also an hour away from London, not really expensive and good transport links
    The modules for PPE are good and the grades are quite low for somewhere so good! (BBB)
    Thanks for the reply, I've actually considered Essex too as it's close to Cambridge where my boyfriend goes to uni, but I have to honestly admit that I don't really like the area, plus I'm aiming for a much grade than the equivalent of BBB...
    Thank you anyway for the suggestion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scblx)
    I'd say apply to Oxford, no matter if you think you will stand a chance or not.
    I am German too and I applied for Oxford PPE for 2016 entry and I got an interview, but finally got rejected by them. Still, I think the experience is worth it and I actually want to try again this year (for 2017 entry) because I enjoyed being there so much.
    I don't know much about the other unis you listed, though I heard that York is very good for PPE.
    I applied to Warwick, Durham, LSE and UCL apart from Oxford and I ended up getting offers from Durham and Warwick. But tbh I didn't think much about where to apply so it's definitely good that you are thinking about your choices much more than I did, my choices were quite risky and stupid I guess.
    What do you expect to get as a final grade in the Abitur? I know that you can't say for sure at that point but you have to remember that you'll have to make the conditional offer of the unis. Have you considered Durham? It's a beautiful place (and they are a little known for taking "Oxford Rejects" if that doesn't bother you). Their grade requirement for the Abitur is quite high though, it's 1.2 overall.
    I guess you know that the Oxford requirement is a 1,5 but I l'd say that you stand a better chance if you plan to exceed that. But there's no guarantee for anything, they might take you with a 1,5 prediction and also reject you with a 1,0 prediction. The interview performance and the TSA score are the most important factors they take into consideration.
    And you don't really need to worry about English language requirements, first of all, you don't have to have them at the time you apply but only until the end of Juli in (in your case) 2017. So there's time for preparation and for somebody having English at school in Germany the IELTS isn't that hard (I really recommend IELTS over Cambridge). I did hardly any preparation and scored 8.0 and I know people who scored even higher. The requirement is "only" 7.0 btw and if you aren't too bad in English at school (which you probably aren't if you apply to Oxford) you will easily make that.
    Thanks for your reply, it was genuinely helpful and encouraging! Are you considering to do a gap year when reapplying for oxford or are you gonna start uni in Warwick or Durham? Btw, yes I was thinking to consider Durham as well, I just don't know anything about the city and I really don't want to end up being at a good uni, but hating the area around... Nightlife and stuff is important, too
    It is a bit annoying though that loads of people say that PPE is only worth it to study if its in Oxford... :/ I will definitely try and if I actually end up getting a place I'd be sooooooo happy, but I will make sure to not be too disappointed if I don't
    What was your tsa score btw if its ok to ask? I'm quite concerned about that and I already bought "Think you can think" as preparation, do you think this is helpful?
    Tbf though what I am scared about most is the interview... But that shouldn't prevent me from applying!
    So I can do a language test after I applied to uni??? This is absolutely amazing, I didn't know that! I was thinking to do the IELTS too as it's accepted by all unis and it's not in american english which I hate and don't understand like the TOEFL hahaha Cool to hear you got such amazing scores as well, I was worried about that bc I just don't know what is expected... Is it helpful to prepare for that? It's ridiculously expensive though, about 200 euro!
    And I really don't know, I got 1.1 in my first semester but I was just really lucky! I find it generally hard to predict that, which I have to do as well when I apply for uni :/ Just out of curiosity, where are you from in Germany? Its quite cool to hear about someone else going to study in the uk, everyone else in my area finds that rather weird haha

ReputationRep:
    So now I've changed my mind a bit... I'm not considering Edinburgh anymore, I still love the city soooo much but it is just too far away from where my boyfriend goes to uni :/
    But - I've ended up considering these 9 unis (I know I can only apply to 5 in the end):
    Oxford, Manchester, York, Bristol as before...
    And:
    Exeter
    Durham,
    Leeds,
    Sheffield.
    Nottingham

What do you think about these? Apart from Manchester and Oxford I am not sure about any of these unis yet!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply, it was genuinely helpful and encouraging! Are you considering to do a gap year when reapplying for oxford or are you gonna start uni in Warwick or Durham? Btw, yes I was thinking to consider Durham as well, I just don't know anything about the city and I really don't want to end up being at a good uni, but hating the area around... Nightlife and stuff is important, too
    It is a bit annoying though that loads of people say that PPE is only worth it to study if its in Oxford... :/ I will definitely try and if I actually end up getting a place I'd be sooooooo happy, but I will make sure to not be too disappointed if I don't
    What was your tsa score btw if its ok to ask? I'm quite concerned about that and I already bought "Think you can think" as preparation, do you think this is helpful?
    Tbf though what I am scared about most is the interview... But that shouldn't prevent me from applying!
    So I can do a language test after I applied to uni??? This is absolutely amazing, I didn't know that! I was thinking to do the IELTS too as it's accepted by all unis and it's not in american english which I hate and don't understand like the TOEFL hahaha Cool to hear you got such amazing scores as well, I was worried about that bc I just don't know what is expected... Is it helpful to prepare for that? It's ridiculously expensive though, about 200 euro!
    And I really don't know, I got 1.1 in my first semester but I was just really lucky! I find it generally hard to predict that, which I have to do as well when I apply for uni :/ Just out of curiosity, where are you from in Germany? Its quite cool to hear about someone else going to study in the uk, everyone else in my area finds that rather weird haha
    I am not sure about that so far, I just know that I will reapply no matter what (and if it's just for the sake of it ). I just think that it will make me feel better about the whole thing
    I have actually been to none of my choices (except of course Oxford at the interviews ) so I'm afraid I can't really say anything about Durham and its nightlife and all that stuff though I heard people saying that they like the city (that's subjective though).
    Yeah, many people who say that aren't quite informed I guess. Especially the London unis, Warwick, Durham and York are imo quite respected for PPE as well (undoubtedly Oxford is by far considered the "best" place for PPE).
    Well, I feel that the disappointment is unavoidable. I wasn't too obsessed with Oxford before I went there for interviews.. And then I was really really really disappointed after my rejection though I was always realistic about the chances and all that stuff. Most people I spoke to said that you don't know how it will feel until you experience it.. Hope you won't have to experience it
    I had 64.3 and I pretty much ****ed up the whole thing (sorry for that expression) but I used to be better at all the past papers I did.. Was enough for an interview though Well the interview.. Don't worry about it too much, you can't really prepare it and honestly, there's a lot of luck in those things as well. I was super unlucky with one of my interviews.. But oh well
    It is hard to predict but I think you will be fine your grades seem to be really good and I don't think that they'll drop so much (mine actually went up every single semester )
    I am from Hessen, and you?
    People around me found it rather weird too, my school was quite weird about it as well.. They will be (not) delighted if I tell them that they will have to write a reference again haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.