Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'd be really grateful if anyone with some insight could help me with my query!

I am from Estonia, which is part of the EU, but am looking to apply for student finance as a UK student - I spoke to Student Finance on the phone and they advised me that I should be able to do so as I have been in the UK for three years prior to my course.However, I just wanted to check for any loop-holes.
    I first came to the UK on 1st September 2013, and attended a boarding school, which means I lived at the school. During this time I only went back to Estonia during some of the holidays to visit my family etc. Currently, I am working at the same school during my gap year and living on site as I work in boarding. I've got a national insurance number, I pay tax and all of that good stuff...
    However, when it comes to "proving" that I've lived here for 3 years prior to the start of my course (October 2016), it gets a little tricky, as I did not have my bank account set up straight away etc... However, student finance said I could get the school to write an official letter saying that I have been living here. Do you think this will be enough to prove that I've been here for three years, or would you have any other suggestions as to how I could show that I've been living here... Also I am a bit worried that because I went back to Estonia during some holidays etc, they would see it as an issue..?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Mld120

If you have applied already by the 24th March, you can send evidence to confirm you have been in the UK for the last 3 years. A letter from the school must state the dates you attended to and from onletter. Letter must be on headed paper with full address and hand signed.

If you have not applied yet, from 25th March 2016 you must have 5 years residency in the UK to apply.

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.