Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! i was wondering if anyone could help me out with this gap fill, I've only recently started Research Methods and I'm so confused! (Btw its page 194 in the OCR A-Level Sociology revision guide!)

Here are the words for it!
    1. Choice
    2. consciousness
    3. ethnographic
    4. free will
    5. interpretations
    6. interpretivist
    7. objective
    8. positivists
    9. predictable
    10. qualative data
    11. quantivite data
    12. reliable
    13. scientific
    14. social forces
    15. social interaction
    16. social meanings
    17. social surveys
    18. valididty
    Here is the text!

------- see study of society as more important than thestudy of individuals. They see human or social behaviour as a product of------- over which people have little or no influence such as consensus, class,gender and ethnicity. Consequently, social or human behaviour is ------.Positivists believe that sociological research should be ------- in character,(i.e. standardised, -----, and -------------) and it should focus on collecting---------- data. Positivists see -------as the most scientific primarymethods of data collection.On the other hand, the ------- approach is anti-positivistand points out that human beings have ------ which differentiates them fromanimals and so on. Instead, they see human beings as self-aware individuals whoare able to exercise -------- and -------------. They see society as theproduct of people choosing to come together in social groups such as thefamily, religion, peer group and so on. Society is the net sum of ------ ingroups. When people socially interact, they use a set of ------- or ---------to make sense of what is happening around them and to choose how to react. Thisapproach argues that we need to get inside people’s heads in order to see theworld through their eyes – that is, to document their interpretations ofreality. This approach uses methods that produce --------- (e.g. in researchsubject’s own words that collected from a natural or --------- setting and thatis high in -------

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophsteff)
    Hi! i was wondering if anyone could help me out with this gap fill, I've only recently started Research Methods and I'm so confused! (Btw its page 194 in the OCR A-Level Sociology revision guide!)

Here are the words for it!
    1. Choice
    2. consciousness
    3. ethnographic
    4. free will
    5. interpretations
    6. interpretivist
    7. objective
    8. positivists
    9. predictable
    10. qualative data
    11. quantivite data
    12. reliable
    13. scientific
    14. social forces
    15. social interaction
    16. social meanings
    17. social surveys
    18. valididty
    Here is the text!

------- see study of society as more important than thestudy of individuals. They see human or social behaviour as a product of------- over which people have little or no influence such as consensus, class,gender and ethnicity. Consequently, social or human behaviour is ------.Positivists believe that sociological research should be ------- in character,(i.e. standardised, -----, and -------------) and it should focus on collecting---------- data. Positivists see -------as the most scientific primarymethods of data collection.On the other hand, the ------- approach is anti-positivistand points out that human beings have ------ which differentiates them fromanimals and so on. Instead, they see human beings as self-aware individuals whoare able to exercise -------- and -------------. They see society as theproduct of people choosing to come together in social groups such as thefamily, religion, peer group and so on. Society is the net sum of ------ ingroups. When people socially interact, they use a set of ------- or ---------to make sense of what is happening around them and to choose how to react. Thisapproach argues that we need to get inside people’s heads in order to see theworld through their eyes – that is, to document their interpretations ofreality. This approach uses methods that produce --------- (e.g. in researchsubject’s own words that collected from a natural or --------- setting and thatis high in -------
    I don't think it's right for someone to complete that for you, quite unfair on them.

I can help though.

The whole point of this exercise is to examine your understanding of these terms that you need to place in the text.

So, which of these terms do you not understand?
    1. Choice
    2. consciousness
    3. ethnographic
    4. free will
    5. interpretations
    6. interpretivist
    7. objective
    8. positivists
    9. predictable
    10. qualative data
    11. quantivite data
    12. reliable
    13. scientific
    14. social forces
    15. social interaction
    16. social meanings
    17. social surveys
    18. validity

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 10, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.