Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Need a new laptop when student loan arrives.
    Considering all three types with 13" screen however im unsure which to choose. Im not keen on the Air and i really like the Macbook but dont really see a benefit to the premium price other than the look of it and being pretentious. Any advice is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supreme1)
    Considering all three types with 13" screen however im unsure which to choose. Im not keen on the Air and i really like the Macbook but dont really see a benefit to the premium price other than the look of it and being pretentious. Any advice is appreciated
    Get the Retina Pro. The "New MacBook"'s primary selling point is the ridiculous thinness and completely fanless design, but it's crazy expensive for the power (or lack thereof) that it has. The Retina Pro may not be as ridiculously thin but it's still slimmer than the majority of laptops with full power i5s, it may not be fanless but its borderline silent during casual use anyway- and if you wanted to use it for anything intensive enough to crank the fans at least you have the option to do it without suffering at the hands of the low processing power the New MacBook has. On a more subjective note, I really dislike the keyboard on the New MacBook, because one caveat of being such a slim laptop is that the keys have virtually zero travel.

So yeah, if you want a Mac, get the Retina Pro. It's absolutely the best combination of price and performance in the product line right now.

ReputationRep:
    the difference is that one of them is pro

ReputationRep:
    Cool, is the retina really worth £150ish more though?

(Original post by Gofre)
    Get the Retina Pro. The "New MacBook"'s primary selling point is the ridiculous thinness and completely fanless design, but it's crazy expensive for the power (or lack thereof) that it has. The Retina Pro may not be as ridiculously thin but it's still slimmer than the majority of laptops with full power i5s, it may not be fanless but its borderline silent during casual use anyway- and if you wanted to use it for anything intensive enough to crank the fans at least you have the option to do it without suffering at the hands of the low processing power the New MacBook has. On a more subjective note, I really dislike the keyboard on the New MacBook, because one caveat of being such a slim laptop is that the keys have virtually zero travel.

So yeah, if you want a Mac, get the Retina Pro. It's absolutely the best combination of price and performance in the product line right now.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Quick summary…

MacBook: awful.
    MacBook Pro: absolutely brilliant. (YES, THE RETINA IS WORTH IT!)

Also what Gofre said above, but I was beaten :cry:

ReputationRep:
    Macbook Pro a thousand times over. The Macbook is underpowered and is very non-utilitarian; it's just designed to be flashy.

ReputationRep:
    Cool, is the retina really worth £150ish more though?
    Do you mean £150 over the non-Retina MacBook Pro?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Do you mean £150 over the non-Retina MacBook Pro?
    Yep

ReputationRep:
    Yep
    The differences actually go a lot farther than just the Retina Display. The non-Retina Pro hasn't been updated at all in almost four years, it's complete garbage at this point for the price they charge but remains as the obligatory Mac for people who want a disc drive or the ability to use conventional hard drives. It's a massive waste of money, avoid it like the plague.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i only found that out just before you replied, assumed it was just worse display. Any idea when the next one is released, i read it could be end of the month

(Original post by Gofre)
    The differences actually go a lot farther than just the Retina Display. The non-Retina Pro hasn't been updated at all in almost four years, it's complete garbage at this point for the price they charge but remains as the obligatory Mac for people who want a disc drive or the ability to use conventional hard drives. It's a massive waste of money, avoid it like the plague.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i only found that out just before you replied, assumed it was just worse display. Any idea when the next one is released, i read it could be end of the month
    The release cycle for the Retina Pros has been all over the place so it's difficult to predict exactly when they will launch, but an iPhone event is expected next month so it would make sense for a MacBook refresh to coincide with that. If you aren't desperate to buy now, it could be worth holding out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.