Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm have been considering undertaking a postgraduate degree in construction/project management. I have already obtained a graduate placement, but the company does encourage employees to continue their development.

I cannot decide if a master degree would be beneficial for career development. I'm currently in my final year of University and I feel that it is slowing down my career progression. Most of the third year material is too academic for real life application.

What would the work load like doing a part time masters course over a two year period?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    If the masters course is relevant to what you want to do and is funded by your company then I'd say go for it. You'll have to be very disciplined about managing your time and making time for your job, your studies and you but it's doable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG44)
    I'm have been considering undertaking a postgraduate degree in construction/project management. I have already obtained a graduate placement, but the company does encourage employees to continue their development.

I cannot decide if a master degree would be beneficial for career development. I'm currently in my final year of University and I feel that it is slowing down my career progression. Most of the third year material is too academic for real life application.

What would the work load like doing a part time masters course over a two year period?
    Hi, assuming that you are pursuing an engg degree most probably in Civil engg, I would suggest that before starting your masters, it is better that you gain some experience as it will help you better decide future course of action & the area you want to specialize on. Also, many construction/project management courses also recommend that you have an exp of 1-2 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vininodnat)
    Hi, assuming that you are pursuing an engg degree most probably in Civil engg, I would suggest that before starting your masters, it is better that you gain some experience as it will help you better decide future course of action & the area you want to specialize on. Also, many construction/project management courses also recommend that you have an exp of 1-2 years.
    I already have 1.5 years experience in a managerial role along with 3 years experience working with a trade.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.