Compare 2 explanations of Autism? Watch

andees
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Is it acceptable to compare the genetic basis explanation and the extreme male brain explanation for Autism?:dontknow:
TSR Jessica
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this.

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses.

Abstract_Prism
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't know what they are.

But you can compare anything. What do you mean by 'acceptable'?
Jimmy1669
Report 2 years ago
The extreme male brain theory is one of the 'everyone is on a spectrum, and those at one end of it are diagnosed as autistic' theories (i.e. continuum within the population) whereas genetic theories are predicated on there NOT being a continuum in the general population (or at least, if there is, we don't have any good evidence for it as the population studies that have been done so far have been flawed). I actually went to a lecture not long ago where the lecturer essentially compared these two approaches to thinking about autism and concluded that the genetic approach has more merit than the continuum approach.
andees
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jimmy1669)
The extreme male brain theory is one of the 'everyone is on a spectrum, and those at one end of it are diagnosed as autistic' theories (i.e. continuum within the population) whereas genetic theories are predicated on there NOT being a continuum in the general population (or at least, if there is, we don't have any good evidence for it as the population studies that have been done so far have been flawed). I actually went to a lecture not long ago where the lecturer essentially compared these two approaches to thinking about autism and concluded that the genetic approach has more merit than the continuum approach.

Thanks for getting back to me - appreciated!
andees
Rep:
?
(Original post by TSR Jessica)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this.

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses.

Thanks!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.65%
No (667)
60.69%
Not really bothered about them (227)
20.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise