The Student Room Group

Compare 2 explanations of Autism?

Is it acceptable to compare the genetic basis explanation and the extreme male brain explanation for Autism?:dontknow:
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown:

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses. :redface:

:h:
Don't know what they are.

But you can compare anything. What do you mean by 'acceptable'?
Reply 3
The extreme male brain theory is one of the 'everyone is on a spectrum, and those at one end of it are diagnosed as autistic' theories (i.e. continuum within the population) whereas genetic theories are predicated on there NOT being a continuum in the general population (or at least, if there is, we don't have any good evidence for it as the population studies that have been done so far have been flawed). I actually went to a lecture not long ago where the lecturer essentially compared these two approaches to thinking about autism and concluded that the genetic approach has more merit than the continuum approach.
Reply 4
Original post by Jimmy1669
The extreme male brain theory is one of the 'everyone is on a spectrum, and those at one end of it are diagnosed as autistic' theories (i.e. continuum within the population) whereas genetic theories are predicated on there NOT being a continuum in the general population (or at least, if there is, we don't have any good evidence for it as the population studies that have been done so far have been flawed). I actually went to a lecture not long ago where the lecturer essentially compared these two approaches to thinking about autism and concluded that the genetic approach has more merit than the continuum approach.

Thanks for getting back to me - appreciated!
Reply 5
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown:

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses. :redface:

:h:

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest