Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

International Student with Leukaemia- AMA watch

ReputationRep:
    Greetings, forum!

I had began my university in Canada as an international student in 2008. A year later, I was diagnosed with a form of Leukaemia. Consequently, I had taken a year off for treatment and just to make sure things are okay.

Suffice to say, my undergraduate years were ****, and the depression and mental health issues really took a toll on my grade (somewhere around a third). It took me 6 years to graduate and I've developed a stutter from nowhere.

However, I'm all good now! Life seems to be getting a bit better, I'm pursuing a postgraduate degree in a London university so as to improve my chances to get into an MSc program.

Has anyone else had a similarly exceptionally trying circumstance in their university years? I'm also open to answering any questions, or providing moral support!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    How were you first diagnosed?
    Was your university supportive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neostigmine)
    How were you first diagnosed?
    Was your university supportive?
    It was just a random blood test, really. I consulted a doctor for extreme fatigue.

Was the university supportive? Not so much. I studied at what is considered to be the top reputed university in Canada, and they were not interested in my medical history. Moreover, the faculty course adviser and some of the professors used to repeatedly tell me that no graduate school would accept me because of my grades, whenever I used to consult with them.

All of this had put me off discussing the situation openly. I never really consulted with the accessibility center because I felt at the time that I would be foraging for pity or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schoolreboot)
    Greetings, forum!

I had began my university in Canada as an international student in 2008. A year later, I was diagnosed with a form of Leukaemia. Consequently, I had taken a year off for treatment and just to make sure things are okay.

Suffice to say, my undergraduate years were ****, and the depression and mental health issues really took a toll on my grade (somewhere around a third). It took me 6 years to graduate and I've developed a stutter from nowhere.

However, I'm all good now! Life seems to be getting a bit better, I'm pursuing a postgraduate degree in a London university so as to improve my chances to get into an MSc program.

Has anyone else had a similarly exceptionally trying circumstance in their university years? I'm also open to answering any questions, or providing moral support!
    Hey! I was diagnosed when I was 13, I wasn't in University but I was just about to pick my GCSES. Due to the chemotherapy treatment I had, I had a bleed on the brain, was put into a coma, and was on life support. I lost all my hair and was the youngest person on the cancer ward. I'm now 17, with all my hair, out of the coma and trying to storm through A levels. I just wanted to say well done for getting through treatment! The only downer on mine was that everyone in my cancer group who was fighting too passed away, there were twelve of us. I also suffer with PTSD, anxiety and depression so I know how it feels.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 29, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.