The Student Room Group

Part-time work while studying?

Hey, I am not from the UK, so sorry if my question seems obvious to you, but is it hard to maintain good grades at a uni, and also work at least part-time somewhere? Or is it normal to have a job while studying? I'm going to study Mathematics, so I'm just wondering if maybe some particular subject students are too busy studying, that they cant get a job, like maybe someone, studying mathematics? Or is if more common that everyone works while studying?
Thanks a lot!
Reply 1
It's quite normal to have a job while studying. Some courses are too intensive, such as medicine, but normally you can find night shifts to fit around your studies if you are busy in the daytime.
It can be really hard (I've held down 3 jobs at once during my degree for some time) but your tutors are really understanding if you explain your situation as many of them know how financially tough it is for a lot of students. Working for your university is a great move as they're really flexible and are used to employing busy students!
Original post by Domciuz
Hey, I am not from the UK, so sorry if my question seems obvious to you, but is it hard to maintain good grades at a uni, and also work at least part-time somewhere? Or is it normal to have a job while studying? I'm going to study Mathematics, so I'm just wondering if maybe some particular subject students are too busy studying, that they cant get a job, like maybe someone, studying mathematics? Or is if more common that everyone works while studying?
Thanks a lot!

I wouldn't say every student has a part time job, but many do- in shops, cafes, bars, restaurants and supermarkets most typically.
Reply 3
Okay, now I can understand it better, thanks a lot! :smile:
Original post by Domciuz
Thanks a lot!

Most unis will recommend a maximum number of hours to work during the week during term time- 12 hours is a pretty common limit. Not everyone will work during term time, but equally some people will work a lot more than this, and some people will work during the holidays instead. People will find their own balance which usually lets them maintain good grades, have enough money to live on, and time for a social life.

Some courses will leave you too busy to work whilst studying, but these are usually courses with a large amount of time spent on placement, e.g. nursing, rather than academic degrees like Mathematics.
Reply 5
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Most unis will recommend a maximum number of hours to work during the week during term time- 12 hours is a pretty common limit. Not everyone will work during term time, but equally some people will work a lot more than this, and some people will work during the holidays instead. People will find their own balance which usually lets them maintain good grades, have enough money to live on, and time for a social life.

Some courses will leave you too busy to work whilst studying, but these are usually courses with a large amount of time spent on placement, e.g. nursing, rather than academic degrees like Mathematics.

I thought because Mathematics is an academic degree- you have to study so much that you barely have any time left, for a job or even social life. Thanks for such an informative answer :smile:
Original post by Domciuz
I thought because Mathematics is an academic degree- you have to study so much that you barely have any time left, for a job or even social life. Thanks for such an informative answer :smile:

You will need time to study, I would allow around 40 hours a week for studying/contact time- but if you need/want to make time for a job, you can do this through good time management and study habits. For example, for most people it's much more efficient to study for two hours with no distractions and with set breaks, than to study for four hours whilst also having facebook open and the TV on.
Reply 7
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
You will need time to study, I would allow around 40 hours a week for studying/contact time- but if you need/want to make time for a job, you can do this through good time management and study habits. For example, for most people it's much more efficient to study for two hours with no distractions and with set breaks, than to study for four hours whilst also having facebook open and the TV on.

Okay, I agree, no distractions, thanks again :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Domciuz
Thanks a lot!

When I did Maths, a very long time ago, I was financially hard up, but I could not afford to work (My parents kindly helped me)
In saying this my standards were very high so I was studying extra hard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending