Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakepds)
    Have you an knowledge on other finance degrees from alternative institutions?

The only pure Finance ones that I have found are at LSE and Cass, I have also found a few "Financial Mathematics" and "Finance with Maths" as well as MORSE, all of which appeal and I imagine would serve me well.
    Plenty of universities offer pure Finance degrees (e.g. Reading, Lancaster etc), a better question would be how many target/semi-targets do e.g. LSE is the only target which does semi targets which offer pure finance include: Durham, Manchester, Cass and most of the others offer it as a joint honours with subjects like Accounting, Maths and Economics (Econ and Fin can be pretty similar to pure Fin degrees). I'm sure there are some others which I'm not sure of as I applied to Management and Economics courses so don't really know of too many Finance related courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theconfusedman)
    I heard trading will soon be replaced by AI, which is pretty cool. Maybe look at a computer science degree or something similar? Just a suggestion
    Pretty cool...Pretty S*** -

Market making in vanilla products have basically being replaced with computer algorithms and some propertiary trading is done with algorithmic trading. Despite a very large portion of trading volume coming from trading algorithms you can't use code to trade OTC instruments, only analyse their price. On the buyside trading will never become completely computerised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glebp)
    Avoid doing a degree in economics. Its academically rigirous, yet you can't apply it in the industry. Its absolute garbage in terms of practicality. Ideally I would have done A&F at a strong target if I were in your boots.
    If you don't mind asking where are you now, IB/AM etc and could you clarify why an A&F degree would have helped - do you not just learn technicalities on the job?

ReputationRep:
    Does the finance society involve putting money up for investment. If so, how much may be made.

Please anyone with experience let me know!
    No. It means turning up to talks regarding financial careers talks basically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honestly)
    Choose an industry, chose an entity research it and start trading today! haha that sentence sounds like on e of those scam emails ... Seriously you can learn to trade and with pretend money, many platforms have this option. Be sensible, manage risk, don't have unruly expectations if you make £2.00 from one trade in 10 mins thats great!

I would recommend buying stocks and shares outright not trading CFDs; which is in effect gambling as you don't own underlying stock and can literally lose everything. With share dealing you own the share and if it falls in value you don't lose anything unless you sell. Or you hold onto those shares until the price rises.
    CFDs are a way to leverage your exposure to a particular asset by trading on margin. You can of course lose more than your deposit but this is very hard if your total positions come above 3-5x your margin. You only lose or make money when you sell or buy CFDs or shares.

ReputationRep:
    Does the finance society involve putting money up for investment. If so, how much may be made.

Please anyone with experience let me know!
    Some of them do, Nottingham has equity fund where students put 200 (around 50 of them participating atm) each of real money and this is then managed in different sector/geography groups

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbybob12)
    If you don't mind asking where are you now, IB/AM etc and could you clarify why an A&F degree would have helped - do you not just learn technicalities on the job?
    I am going to university in September, so I can't provide you with useful insight. The information I provided in the post earlier was from another board, I think it was WSO or something along the likes of it, when I was reading about favorable degrees, in particular for IB.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.