Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello Lovely Internet People,

I just read that the US forcibly relocated and incarcerated 110,000 - 120,000 people of Japanese ancestry from the Pacific Coast to Internment Camps for reasons of 'National Security' (to prevent them from committing acts of sabotage).
    I was quite surprised that the US had done this and find it bizarre that so few people know about it.

https://youtu.be/6mr97qyKA2s

This got me thinking about other examples of omitted, forgotten and misrepresented history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad_Cat_Lady)
    Hello Lovely Internet People,

I just read that the US forcibly relocated and incarcerated 110,000 - 120,000 people of Japanese ancestry from the Pacific Coast to Internment Camps for reasons of 'National Security' (to prevent them from committing acts of sabotage).
    I was quite surprised that the US had done this and find it bizarre that so few people know about it.

https://youtu.be/6mr97qyKA2s

This got me thinking about other examples of omitted, forgotten and misrepresented history.
    This isn't omitted, forgotten or misrepresented. It's a well known fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    This isn't omitted, forgotten or misrepresented. It's a well known fact.
    I doubt most people know about it.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt most people know about it.
    What you mean is most Britons do not know about it but why should most Britons know about a detail of American history that in the context of the enormous amounts of forced migration and internment before, in or after WWII is minor and had no impact on US/UK relations?

Given we are a much smaller country that the US we interned a much greater proportion of the population during WWII.

ReputationRep:
    Reagans refusal to agree with USSR nuclear disarmament because he wanted to keep Star Wars

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The Balfour Declaration 1917.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

* The genocide of the Native Americans and other inhabitants of the Americas by European colonists.

* The pre-planned ethnic cleansing of Palestine by the Israelis in 1948.

* The deaths of 15-30 million people in India under the British Empire due to avoidable famines, much like the avoidable famines in various Communist countries in the 20th Century.

* Operation Northwoods, a false-flag operation which would have involved the United States government killing its own civilians in order to blame it on Cuba, which was approved by the highest levels of government, including the Joint Chiefs of Staff. It had to reach John F. Kennedy himself before it was rejected.

* The various democratically elected governments overthrown by the West and replaced with brutal dictatorships (see Iran, Guatemala, Chile and probably many other countries in Latin America), as well as the other (some genocidal) dictatorships supported by the United States, including Suharto in Indonesia, Saddam Hussein, the West Pakistani dictatorship while it was committing genocide in East Pakistan (Bangladesh), various capitalist dictatorships in Latin America and so on. Margaret Thatcher had the SAS train the Khmer Rouge after they had just committed the genocide of 1.7 million people in Cambodia.

* The fact that Henry Kissinger, the Secretary of State of the United States, called for genocide in Indochina during the Vietnam War, saying "anything that flies against anything that moves".

* It is often claimed that Adolf Hitler did not shake Jesse Owens' hand when he won a race at the 1936 Olympics in Nazi Germany, because he was black. Yet, there's some evidence that he actually did, and that he may have waved to Owens. In fact, it was Franklin D. Roosevelt who "snubbed" Owens, as Owens himself said: "Hitler didn't snub me – it was our president who snubbed me. The president didn't even send me a telegram."

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.