The Student Room Group

17th May 2016- OCR 21st Century Science B1 B2 B3 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ella_08
Sure, pm me ur email
what were the topics in the 2015 biology paper? Were the questions hard?
Original post by GCSE 2k16
what were the topics in the 2015 biology paper? Were the questions hard?

B3 6 Marker: Nitrogen cycle. It gave you a part of the cycle and asked you to explain what was happening at each stage. I didn't like the question.

B2 6 Marker: Heart disease. It asked about 2 brothers: why one has heart disease and why one doesn't. It was ok.

B1 6 Marker: Genetically identical. It asked why 2 siblings were genetically identical and why 1 wasn't. It was a bit confusing but ok.
(edited 7 years ago)
Has anyone got any exam question predictions? :smile:
I really hope that it isn't something on the carbon/nitrogen cycle - I know them roughly but not in nearly enough detail for a 6 marker! Hopefully it'll be something on genetic testing, but I think that cloning is most likely for the B1, vaccinations or data interpretation for B2 and natural selection or another data question for B3. Its always the data questions I trip up on - managed to completely ignore a table full of data in my mock and only got 2mks even though all my science was right! Won't be doing that again...
saying that, environmental indicators could be the background for a B3 data question, so can't rule that out
Reply 65
Original post by lalafirmstone
saying that, environmental indicators could be the background for a B3 data question, so can't rule that out

I will be so happy if environmental indicators come up - I doubt it tho, since it came up for the 2014 paper. Natural selection would be okay I guess but it also came up in 2014 paper? Someone PM me the B123 2015 paper if you can also >:smile:
Original post by Aliondo
I will be so happy if environmental indicators come up - I doubt it tho, since it came up for the 2014 paper. Natural selection would be okay I guess but it also came up in 2014 paper? Someone PM me the B123 2015 paper if you can also >:smile:

True, but it wasn't a 6 mk was it? (I could be wrong)

Does anyone else think that water regulation and ADH will come up? If it did, how much detail do you think we would need to know? That's the worst part of B2 for me.
i think that will be the 6 marker or water balance and the kidneys for b2.
Original post by olivialois
i think that will be the 6 marker or water balance and the kidneys for b2.

The more I think about it the more I agree... But I really hope we're wrong :s-smilie:
yeah, it is likely.

Or antimicrobials/ resistance or immunity for sure
The more I think about it the more I agree... But I really hope we're wrong :s-smilie:

aah noooo! :frown: I bet it will be, that would be just my luck. Guys we should just memorise it then it won't be a problem (;
Original post by Ella_08
aah noooo! :frown: I bet it will be, that would be just my luck. Guys we should just memorise it then it won't be a problem (;

Thats normally my strategy, but I have french tomorrow too and don't want to spend all evening on one topic :s-smilie:
Thats normally my strategy, but I have french tomorrow too and don't want to spend all evening on one topic :s-smilie:

Just be quick and efficient with it. Spend about 20 minutes repeating it over and over... that will be enough to learn it. Good luck on your french exam :smile:
good answer for a 6 marker on cloning?

Cloning can occur naturally in animals and plants and can be done artificially. ARTIFICIALLY: scientist can remove a nucleus from an egg cell so that it is now empty containing no genetic information. Then place the nucleus of the required genes into this empty egg cell. It is then stimulated and the cell divides by mitosis and forms an embryo that is genetically identical to the organisms’ nucleus that was used. This can be done in plants by cuttings. Cutting a part of the plant and adding rooting powder to let it grow. NATURALLY: twins, one fertilised egg split by mitosis. both genetically identical to each other.OR by asexual reproduction whereby only one parent is required and the offspring is genetically identical to them. For example, strawberry plants have runners where a stem grows hozitonally to the base and at the end a new plant begins to grow which is genetically identical.
what do you think will be the grade boundaries for an A*??

Cloning can occur naturally in animals and plants and can be done artificially. ARTIFICIALLY: scientist can remove a nucleus from an egg cell so that it is now empty containing no genetic information. Then place the nucleus of the required genes into this empty egg cell. It is then stimulated and the cell divides by mitosis and forms an embryo that is genetically identical to the organisms’ nucleus that was used. This can be done in plants by cuttings. Cutting a part of the plant and adding rooting powder to let it grow. NATURALLY: twins, one fertilised egg split by mitosis. both genetically identical to each other.OR by asexual reproduction whereby only one parent is required and the offspring is genetically identical to them. For example, strawberry plants have runners where a stem grows hozitonally to the base and at the end a new plant begins to grow which is genetically identical.

That would be a Level 3 answer (5-6 marks). Good job.
We practised this very same question today and I roughly had the same answer as you. My teacher then assessed it and said it was roughly 5/6 marks.

I'd give 5 or 6 out of 6. Add an example they can be used artificially such as in sickle cell anaemia for adult stem cells and beating heart muscles using embryonic.

Very good answer. I would give this 6/6. Just make sure you say 'genetically identical twins' and you could briefly mention that bacteria divides repeatedly for natural. Well done!
Original post by stormblazer999
That would be a Level 3 answer (5-6 marks). Good job.
We practised this very same question today and I roughly had the same answer as you. My teacher then assessed it and said it was roughly 5/6 marks.

ahh good thank you!
Original post by ahmed3140
what do you think will be the grade boundaries for an A*??

For raw marks maybe like 45/60

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending