Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What did you for the twin 6 marker question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christina121)
    What did people say for the question about the chances of dying if you are infected with ebola? 3/4 chance
    I said it was misleading because it didn't represent all of the data, only that for Mali. Then I calculated what the actual chance which was 1/2

ReputationRep:
    For the article headline:

Something about them only taking information from one of the data sets where it was 3/4 chance but this was a small sample size and not a true representation of the rest of the data (used examples too from the table, but idk).

ReputationRep:
    That paper was weird.. It didnt have much content from the syllabus in it, like nothing about ethics of genetic testing and living and non living indicators.. I didnt find it too difficult just nothing like the usual past papers i have done 😒

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else agree that was a really hard paper?

ReputationRep:
    Any grade boundary predictions? Very little content for the paper, I thought (apart from some nice 6 markers and some stuff on ADH). I thought there was quite a lot of given information and questions where you had to process the data.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bmgaic)
    Any grade boundary predictions? Very little content for the paper, I thought (apart from some nice 6 markers and some stuff on ADH). I thought there was quite a lot of given information and questions where you had to process the data.
    People were saying it was similar in difficulty to the 2013 paper, so about 43 for an A*, 36 for an A

ReputationRep:
    That paper was horrible! I usually dislike B3 but felt that it was the most straight forward section in the exam! What did you guys put for the 2 doctors opinions about what the Neanderthals ate?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by thomas-cowley)
    Oh OK, yeah I do agre. What did you write about? I went down the route of how your phenotype is affected by environmental and genetic factors, and therefore the scientists can evaluate how the env. affects their phenotype.
    I kind of did the same thing but probably less well...
    I wrote about how because they're clones the only thing likely to affect their characteristics are environmental factors. Also I wrote that because they have the same genotype it will allow scientists to research the effects of genotype on phenotype (I was making stuff up at this point). But that wasn't really what got me it was more about whether it's right to test on twins? I put that yes it's ok as long as they both consent to it and that by testing on twins scientists can make breakthroughs as there are lots of things that can be discovered about twins.

Yeah...can you tell I answered this with 4 minutes to go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u.iqbal)
    That paper was horrible! I usually dislike B3 but felt that it was the most straight forward section in the exam! What did you guys put for the 2 doctors opinions about what the Neanderthals ate?
    I just wrote how scientists have different opinions...

Didn't like that questions at all I'm not good at the "ideas about science" questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vadermolt1)
    People were saying it was similar in difficulty to the 2013 paper, so about 43 for an A*, 36 for an A
    Thanks. Not too bad then (though would be nicer if it was lower). Maybe 49/50/51 for 100 UMS if that's what it's going with, though it changes every year.
    Lowest I've ever seen as 39 for an A* but that was for a 2012 paper so quite a while back when the specification was new.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell was that exam about?!

B1 section was alright. The six marker on twins was also fairly straight forward
    B2 was also okay. The 6 marker was simple until I had to write about why it may not work. I just wrote that they may have different blood types and the damage may have already been done? Someone tell me the right answer?
    B3 was where I may have dropped marks. 6 marker confused me. I said there may have been a shortage of grass, so the bisons and deers were limited. I also said there may have been a deadly epidemic which killed them, and that another predator may have come which ate all the prey. Also struggled with the interdependence question; wrote an answer but unsure if it was right, what was right please?

Overall, I hope I somehow managed to get an A*, although I wanted the exam to be easier

I would make an unofficial mark scheme if someone reminded me of each and every question!

ReputationRep:
    What was it for the question on percentages where it says he has 83% chance of getting breast cancer
    was it a trick question or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    I kind of did the same thing but probably less well...
    I wrote about how because they're clones the only thing likely to affect their characteristics are environmental factors. Also I wrote that because they have the same genotype it will allow scientists to research the effects of genotype on phenotype (I was making stuff up at this point). But that wasn't really what got me it was more about whether it's right to test on twins? I put that yes it's ok as long as they both consent to it and that by testing on twins scientists can make breakthroughs as there are lots of things that can be discovered about twins.

Yeah...can you tell I answered this with 4 minutes to go?
    I feel relieved that you also talked aboyt consent. We both talked about phenotype too, yay!! Seems like you did well. I said the twins need to allow them to release information and i also talked about stress of testing i think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone find the exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kennethdcharles)

B1 section was alright. The six marker on twins was also fairly straight forward
    B2 was also okay. The 6 marker was simple until I had to write about why it may not work. I just wrote that they may have different blood types and the damage may have already been done? Someone tell me the right answer?
    B3 was where I may have dropped marks. 6 marker confused me. I said there may have been a shortage of grass, so the bisons and deers were limited. I also said there may have been a deadly epidemic which killed them, and that another predator may have come which ate all the prey. Also struggled with the interdependence question; wrote an answer but unsure if it was right, what was right please?

Overall, I hope I somehow managed to get an A*, although I wanted the exam to be easier

I would make an unofficial mark scheme if someone reminded me of each and every question!
    It was the opposite for me. The first section had the most odd questions i've seen OCR put out. I wrote the same thing as you for the second 6 marker along with the possibility of her immune system killing the white blood cells.

The third six marker was taken from the spec, the three main points were: introduction of competitor (e.g. homo sapiens), predator or disease, change in the food chain resulting in the species losing its primary food source or becoming a primary food source and changes in the environment beyond the species' ability to adapt (e.g. ice age) eliminating the species.

for the interdependence question I think you had to say that if the population of one increases, so will the population of the other as they will be less hunted, and if the population of neanderthals decreases both deer and bison populations will increase.

(Original post by Dave50)
    What was it for the question on percentages where it says he has 83% chance of getting breast cancer
    I wrote 0.83

(Original post by bmgaic)
    Thanks. Not too bad then (though would be nicer if it was lower). Maybe 49/50/51 for 100 UMS if that's what it's going with, though it changes every year.
    Lowest I've ever seen as 39 for an A* but that was for a 2012 paper so quite a while back when the specification was new.
    I think 50 would be a safe estimate for 100 UMS. I feel like the paper was easier than it seemed (the questions seemed confusing but looking at the thread mostly everyone wrote the same thing for them so we were probably right).

ReputationRep:
    WHERE WAS GENETIC TESTING, WHERE WAS THE CIRCULATORY SYSTEM, WHERE WAS THE NITROGEN AND CARBON CYCLE...

sometimes i wonder why we have the learn the whole syllabus when 1/4 of it is actually in the exam...

and only ONE tick mark question with awful wording. come on OCR, I rely on tick boxes for easy marks. But I am glad everyone found it as difficult as I did. now maybe they can lower the grade boundaries.

Don't worry guys you did fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kennethdcharles)

B1 6 marker you're supposed to talk about the environment factors (phenotype) and the ethical issues for example it's wrong to separate twins

B2 6 marker it's kind of similar to Edward Jenner's ideas, for example it contains dead weakened or very few microorganisms

B3 6 marker you can talk about the competition on food, habitats and mating and also many other things which I can't remember

For the food web you could have said about what happens if there's less deers and another animal (I can't remember what it's called)

(Original post by Dave50)
    What was it for the question on percentages where it says she has 87% chance of getting breast cancer
    Changed the bold for you since it was in the question

No it said PROBABILITY which means it's 0.87

ReputationRep:
    was isolation a valid answer for the last 6 maker?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tereziscool)
    WHERE WAS GENETIC TESTING, WHERE WAS THE CIRCULATORY SYSTEM, WHERE WAS THE NITROGEN AND CARBON CYCLE...

sometimes i wonder why we have the learn the whole syllabus when 1/4 of it is actually in the exam...

and only ONE tick mark question with awful wording. come on OCR, I rely on tick boxes for easy marks. But I am glad everyone found it as difficult as I did. now maybe they can lower the grade boundaries.

Don't worry guys you did fine
    Hey, now you'll know about the Nitrogen and Carbon cycle for the rest of your life! That's the point of the exam? Right? :P

Also the carbon cycle comes up every year, if not in biology then in physics or chemistry.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.