Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Cool, my worry is that my team isn't as good as previous years were, we did a practice cross number but didn't really get anywhere so I'm not too sure about it... :-/. On the other hand, the questions are MUCH easier than bmo1, so i have no real clue how it will go on group,.. The year 8s are weak and nobody seems to know about Fibonacci sequence, or prime factorisation, palindromes etc
    (Original post by abcdefghij1234)
    I did the TMC today. Only person on my team ever to get into an Olympiad (I've done it in Y8 and Y9) so got a little frustrated on the shuttle round as the questions seemed easy compared to what I've experienced in the JMO and IMOK. We did our heat at a private school beginning with 'b' in Essex (Brampton, it might have been). On the first round, there were tons of arguments, so we only got 36. Cross number was easy for us - we completed it with 55/56 in 20 minutes. The first shuttle we completed in 3 minutes and got every mark. The other three shuttles were total flops (the other pair kept spending about 5 minutes per question and getting them wrong). The relay was okay - we answered all but 15b, so 29 questions, and we (as a team) got 4 or 5 wrong, which isn't too bad, I guess. I felt under pressure after the shuttle so rushed which is why my pair made a few mistakes - the Y8 boy left the maths to me and the running to him. Anyway, it's the experience that counts - we came 7th out of 29.

I personally much prefer the individual challenges as you don't have to worry about letting everyone else down. Also, you are good as yourself in the individual challenge - in the team, you are only as good as your weakest/slowest pair (and even then your weakest player as he/she wanted the answer explained).

Anyway, hopefully I'll get a distinction/medal in the Cayley to make up for it!

How did you fare?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBigBrick)
    Cool, my worry is that my team isn't as good as previous years were, we did a practice cross number but didn't really get anywhere so I'm not too sure about it... :-/. On the other hand, the questions are MUCH easier than bmo1, so i have no real clue how it will go on group,.. The year 8s are weak and nobody seems to know about Fibonacci sequence, or prime factorisation, palindromes etc
    On my team, all but myself were weak (not knowing prime numbers, cube numbers...). As long as you communicate ok in the crossnumber and they aren't too bad at the shuttle/relay (our downfall) you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    On my team, all but myself were weak (not knowing prime numbers, cube numbers...). As long as you communicate ok in the crossnumber and they aren't too bad at the shuttle/relay (our downfall) you should be fine.
    Sorry, I meant the year 8s are weak but none of them really are familiar with these types of numbers, I will probably just write a list out for them to refer to of them all, primes, squares, cubes, Fibonacci, and the prime factorisation of 2016

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I meant the year 8s are weak but none of them really are familiar with these types of numbers, I will probably just write a list out for them to refer to of them all, primes, squares, cubes, Fibonacci, and the prime factorisation of 2016
    Btw factorisation of 2016 comes up 2/3 times

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks how did you all prepare for Cayley Olympiad btw? I'm interested as to what people did...?
    Btw factorisation of 2016 comes up 2/3 times

ReputationRep:
    Pink Kangaroo on Thurs then 4 hours of Geography Controlled Assessment. So much fun. •_•

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What did you guys get for q3 in the cayley, the phone number question. I got 102. I answered all of them, but missed out 333 on number 1. My method was correct, so hopefully I'll get 8 on that one.

ReputationRep:
    They said solutions will be out after the weekend as it is the marking weekend

ReputationRep:
    This weekend (and you are talking about cayley,hamilton and maclaurin)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A02)
    What did you guys get for q3 in the cayley, the phone number question. I got 102. I answered all of them, but missed out 333 on number 1. My method was correct, so hopefully I'll get 8 on that one.
    I got 112, did you count the 10 for 810180~810189?
    I could be wrong..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A02)
    Oh, for that one I got 112, as the number could be read as 8101 or 1018, and if 8101, the 2 missing digits there are 100 possible numbers obviously, if before only 1 number, as numbers start with 81, so 818101, so 101 ways for that. If 1018, then the the 2 digits can BOTH go at the start, getting 811018, this is the only one in this case, and if not both at the start, then the 2 missing digits can go one at the start one at the end, giving 81018_, the one at the start must be an 8, and there are 10 possibilities for the last digit, so 10 more possibilities. So with 8101, 101 possibilities, and 1018, 11 possibilities, summing to 112 possibilities. I am not sure if that's correct, but its what I got any how. I'm guessing you didn't do the possibility of 1018 with one digit at th start and one at the end _1018_ ?

ReputationRep:
    That's sooner than I expected It will be a while until they send all the papers to the schools though, I expect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jina1106)
    That's sooner than I expected It will be a while until they send all the papers to the schools though, I expect.
    I don't know about your school but in mine they get emailed, so I can find out my score for each question on Monday hopefully, and get the paper back on Thursday or after easter

ReputationRep:
    Oh, for that one I got 112, as the number could be read as 8101 or 1018, and if 8101, the 2 missing digits there are 100 possible numbers obviously, if before only 1 number, as numbers start with 81, so 818101, so 101 ways for that. If 1018, then the the 2 digits can BOTH go at the start, getting 811018, this is the only one in this case, and if not both at the start, then the 2 missing digits can go one at the start one at the end, giving 81018_, the one at the start must be an 8, and there are 10 possibilities for the last digit, so 10 more possibilities. So with 8101, 101 possibilities, and 1018, 11 possibilities, summing to 112 possibilities. I am not sure if that's correct, but its what I got any how. I'm guessing you didn't do the possibility of 1018 with one digit at th start and one at the end _1018_ ?
    With _1018_, 8 must go at the front, so you get 81018_, but all numbers of this form are included under 8101_ _, with the first missing digit 8.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A02)
    With _1018_, 8 must go at the front, so you get 81018_, but all numbers of this form are included under 8101_ _, with the first missing digit 8.
    That, is a very good point. I thought the question was quite easy for a Cayley Paper, it was a trick

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about your school but in mine they get emailed, so I can find out my score for each question on Monday hopefully, and get the paper back on Thursday or after easter
    Oh good our school finishes on Wednesday, so I'll probably get the paper back after Easter.

ReputationRep:
    This Monday?! That's super quick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123Master321)
    This Monday?! That's super quick
    It always takes longer..... My school took 2 weeks to get the challenge results after the thresholds were posted online.

ReputationRep:
    The solutions are out!
    https://www.ukmt.org.uk/pdfs/SolnsCayley16.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A02)
    It says in the solutions that the answer is 102, you were right

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.