Turn on thread page Beta

Been let down by my sixth form watch

ReputationRep:
    Honestly fam I wouldn't do a German a-level, if you're worried about your subjects being too mathematical then you could drop one of your subjects and do something else like economics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    What does this involve? I spoke to my German teacher about it today and she said that there's not really much they can do about it as they're not willing to dedicate extra time to one student (unfortunately for me)
    She found a distance learning course and had online lessons - the school did not teach Italian at all. Hopefully, in your case, they would support you with textbooks etc.

Are they willing to let you do a distance learning course?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    She found a distance learning course and had online lessons - the school did not teach Italian at all. Hopefully, in your case, they would support you with textbooks etc.

Are they willing to let you do a distance learning course?
    Unfortunately no, but I've decided that I'm going to forget about it for now and then pick it back up later in life, as I don't want to lose my abilities completely.

It's such a shame though, considering I'm predicted about 295/300 UMS for GCSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    Unfortunately no, but I've decided that I'm going to forget about it for now and then pick it back up later in life, as I don't want to lose my abilities completely.

It's such a shame though, considering I'm predicted about 295/300 UMS for GCSE
    In the least cocky and non mean way possible

I got full UMS in GCSE German and i got a C in my mock at AS - I found the jump huge and I think I was in a similar position

Maybe consider yourself lucky? I mean everyone I know regrets taking German

But that just my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Sorry to wander off topic and butt in but I noticed you said you did A-level Portuguese and I was just wondering if you know of any good resources to help with the A2 topic areas? I'm going to sit the exam this year and I'm also not having lessons for it so coming up with ideas on what to read around is proving a little tricky!

Any help at all would be much appreciated!
    Thanks (

(Original post by kkboyk)
    Ask them if you can self study it. I did A-level Portuguese and Spanish (both AS and A2 at the same time) 2yrs ago, despite the fact that I was the only one.

The only problem is getting motivation to self-teach yourself throughout the year. Languages at A-level is difficult in my opinion, so ask your school if they would be able to support you in someway whilst self-teaching (or get a private tutor).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rolochlo)
    Hi there,

Sorry to wander off topic and butt in but I noticed you said you did A-level Portuguese and I was just wondering if you know of any good resources to help with the A2 topic areas? I'm going to sit the exam this year and I'm also not having lessons for it so coming up with ideas on what to read around is proving a little tricky!

Any help at all would be much appreciated!

Thanks (
    Hey,

Can you speak Portuguese fluently? My problem was that I have never learnt how to write in Portuguese since I moved to England when I was 7, and never had a chance to attend school in Portugal (so my Portuguese is that of a child ).

There are hardly any Portuguese books for those that can speak it, so it is really really hard to practice. What I did is I got a beginner's book and learnt as many vocabulary as I could, and started practicing in writing essays in Portuguese ( you will be given a choice of essays to write in both AS and A2 Portuguese). It's really difficult to find a Portuguese books of intermediate and advanced people, and most of them are discontinued so do not make any more copies

Books I recommend:
    -Practice Makes Perfect Basic Portuguese
    -Via Brazil
    -Vijandra Atraves do Alfabeto is REALLY GOOD and does a good job at preparing you on answering the reading questions you'll be given (the questions they asks are pretty tricky).
    -Moderna Gramatica Portuguesa is a grammar textbook used in portugal, which is hard to understand a bit.
    -Gramática Universal da Língua Portuguesa
    If you can, try ordering a Portuguese grammar book directly from Portugal (English versions can be too basic). Some more Portuguese textbook can be found here. Try to start past papers at the latest a month before the exam (I was a bit cocky and decided not to start revision a week before my exams, as I was overwhelmed by my other subjects).I'm planning self-teaching the whole A-level again over the summer, but I hope this help

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I lived in Portugal for roughly 10 years (went to Portuguese schools) so I'm fluent but I never kept any of my old textbooks! I bought a little grammar book ("Essential Portuguese Grammar") for AS just to match up the specification to the grammar which seemed to work well but the bit I'm struggling with is just working out how best to prepare for essay content. I'll have a look at the books you recommended and give your tips a go!

Thanks again !

(Original post by kkboyk)
    Hey,

Can you speak Portuguese fluently? My problem was that I have never learnt how to write in Portuguese since I moved to England when I was 7, and never had a chance to attend school in Portugal (so my Portuguese is that of a child ).

There are hardly any Portuguese books for those that can speak it, so it is really really hard to practice. What I did is I got a beginner's book and learnt as many vocabulary as I could, and started practicing in writing essays in Portuguese ( you will be given a choice of essays to write in both AS and A2 Portuguese). It's really difficult to find a Portuguese books of intermediate and advanced people, and most of them are discontinued so do not make any more copies

Books I recommend:
    -Practice Makes Perfect Basic Portuguese
    -Via Brazil
    -Vijandra Atraves do Alfabeto is REALLY GOOD and does a good job at preparing you on answering the reading questions you'll be given (the questions they asks are pretty tricky).
    -Moderna Gramatica Portuguesa is a grammar textbook used in portugal, which is hard to understand a bit.
    -Gramática Universal da Língua Portuguesa
    If you can, try ordering a Portuguese grammar book directly from Portugal (English versions can be too basic). Some more Portuguese textbook can be found here. Try to start past papers at the latest a month before the exam (I was a bit cocky and decided not to start revision a week before my exams, as I was overwhelmed by my other subjects).I'm planning self-teaching the whole A-level again over the summer, but I hope this help

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.