Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Got an email from my personal tutor that he wishes to discuss about my progression to the next year. What is up with that? I thought that if I passed I would be 100% guaranteed progression onto the next year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desslop)
    Got an email from my personal tutor that he wishes to discuss about my progression to the next year. What is up with that? I thought that if I passed I would be 100% guaranteed progression onto the next year?
    I wouldn't worry about it he's probably just concerned about your ability and wants reassurance before he puts you in for the final exam

ReputationRep:
    The second year is a step up from the first year. If you're struggling now, that's potentially an indication that trouble is brewing. Yout tutor might want to talk through things like optional modules to point you in the right direction, or identify subjects where you'll need some extra support. It isn't necessarily a bad thing.

How has your lecture/seminar attendance been? You can be withdrawn from a course for "Failure to engage". If you've been doing the bare minimum to coast through when you ought to have been doing more, you may be in for a pep talk. You tutor might want a commitment from you that next year will be different.

There could be any number of reasons for the meeting - all you can do is turn up and see. Try to go in with an open mind and accept any help offered.

ReputationRep:
    As Klix88 said, if you're doing poorly and your attendance has also been poor, some universities will see this as a problem. Some universities do require a certain level of attendance, and if you haven't met this, you could be withdrawn. However, that's unlikely to be the first contact you have with the uni!

Equally, he might just want to see if there is anything going on behind the scenes which is causing poor performance, and if there's anything the university can do to help you. If you did a lot better in your coursework than your exams, they may want to know the reason behind this, and if there is anything they can do to help.

Don't panic, it's likely your tutor just wants you to know that next year is going to be harder, and wants to make sure you can cope with the step up.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.