Turn on thread page Beta

I've just turned 20 year old female, and I currently live at home and commute to uni. I've almost finished my degree but I've really not had much of a uni experience at all due to commuting. I could move into a flat with a friend next year, but obviously living at home feels a lot better, and I'm saving 3-4k by commuting. I just feel so envious when I can see my old friends in new towns, with their new friends just taking advantage of life, whilst I'm sat in my bedroom studying away.

I tried to join some societies but most of their events start late in the evening, meaning if I wanted to go to them, I'd probably be home at midnight and that's not really safe for a girl on her own. I'd join a gym but I already have my exercise bike, weights etc at home that I use everyday so again, no need. Do you have any ideas as to what I should do to quit feeling sorry for myself? I literally do nothing but exercise and study like crazy everyday.

ReputationRep:
    My life is kind of the same. Couldn't you learn how to drive so then you can go out and drive home. You have to make friends as much as possible otherwise it gets worse as you get older.

(Original post by karl pilkington)
    My life is kind of the same. Couldn't you learn how to drive so then you can go out and drive home. You have to make friends as much as possible otherwise it gets worse as you get older.
    Yes I'm actually in the process of learning how to drive and I hope to pass in a month or two, so hopefully by next year I'll be able to go to more places. I feel happy with my life sometimes because due to my lack of a social life, I have a lot more time to be productive and spend time on hobbies I'd probably neglect if I went out a lot like my exercise, studying, baking etc. Even when I used to have more of a social life and go out, I would just feel kind of worn out, and I really quite like nights in, watching Netflix or whatever, I'm a simple person. However, I do have nights like this and envy people with more active social lives because it does seem rewarding and would make a nice change.

ReputationRep:
    I'm failing to see what you have to feel down about in life, a lack of social life is no reason to be down, such a thing can be easily improved. You want a social life , get out there and meet people , ultimately it's you stopping yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there!

I am in the the same position as you - I commute to Uni as well. Rather than studying at home, have you considered studying in the University library? It's a change of environment and a great way to see your friends around. Other options include going out with your friends to eat out etc during the day? Maybe you could join sports club at your University (or in your home town if its a hassle, like I find)? With regards to the gym, I have an exercise bike as well, but I go to the gym - if you can afford it, it's an option to consider, it can be another way to socialize.

Will you be studying further after this degree? Maybe you can consider living at away from home to get the full Uni experience?

ReputationRep:
    Commuting daily is bad for social life . I was 5 years at uni, for obvious reasons (way cheaper) I commuted daily the first 4 years. I had no social life at all. All other students were seeing each other twice or three times a week outside uni so they were close and there I was...

Couldn't do anything with them. They weren't even asking me to do anything because they knew I couldn't.

Anyway, the last year I took a flat near my uni. I really didn't think it would change so many things. I was one of them, after all these years. The first 4 years I was never going out outside uni, and the last year when I took a flat I was almost never in it.

Sorry it's not really helping.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2016
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.