Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Brexit would be a disaster for UK science" Watch

ReputationRep:
    Actually freedom of movement does help out a lot in facilitating the extension of relationships between researchers in different countries. Also, the current visa arrangements are extremely inefficient even being within the EU. The system is swamped by delays and even if you submit everything on time there's a risk it gets sent back because an overzealous government worker thought he was playing 'Papers, Please'.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    An Islamic caliphate would be a disaster for mankind.
    Please help me out, I'm struggling to understand the connection between this and this thread.

(Original post by Plagioclase)
    Please help me out, I'm struggling to understand the connection between this and this thread.
    I would guess that it's a garbled, pro-Brexit argument referencing the migrant/refugee crisis, which might be seen to be tangentially related to the subject of the thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    An Islamic caliphate would be a disaster for mankind.
    Flying pigs would be pretty cool too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Flying pigs would be pretty cool too.
    If we had them we wouldn't need to bomb Isis

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Josb)
    Rather than predicting the apocalypse, these scientists would have been more useful if they had asked the government whether they will compensate the loss of EU grants with the money saved from the EU contribution.
    On the matter of EU grants they aren't really locked out, last I checked Israel is not part of the EU and it still got EU funding, science knows no borders, and it is scientists that allocate the grants, if we keep paying in to the particular scheme, assuming they let us which they might not for a while, we will still get a lot of it back, it's one of the few things we get more out of than we pay in and that's because Britain is second only to the US when it comes to academia.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.