Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Weird chest pain/tightness after devastating news. Watch

Sorry if it's a stupid question but is it possible that this is a psychological reaction/issue? Whenever I think about it the pain immediately gets worse. Is it normal to experience physical pain when dealing with heartbreaking news? I've had chest pains due to anxiety before but this is something different.t

ReputationRep:
    I think this can be quite a normal reaction to certain things, obviously if something bad has happened, it's perfectly natural to experience external reactions to something emotional. If you're worried though, definitely visit your gp, they're there to help you through stuff like this and it will put your mind at ease which seems lovel some thing you need right now

(Original post by Blondie987)
    I think this can be quite a normal reaction to certain things, obviously if something bad has happened, it's perfectly natural to experience external reactions to something emotional. If you're worried though, definitely visit your gp, they're there to help you through stuff like this and it will put your mind at ease which seems lovel some thing you need right now
    Thanks. I don't wanna see my gp but good to know this is fairly normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    No problem, like I said though, don't be afraid to speak to a professional if you get the chance and I'd recommend bumping this thread later if you don't get any more responses so you can get more than one opinion

ReputationRep:
    You should see your GP either way because if the anxiety/upset is affecting you enough to give you physical symptoms like this then you'll most likely benefit from support of some kind. Yes anxiety/upset can give you strong/scary symptoms like this but it's best to be on the safe side and speak to your GP.

ReputationRep:
    You could always see them or a nurse (it'll be a nurse who conducts it anyway) for an ECG just to check for any heart abnormalities. Probably won't pick up anything, but good to have done at some point in your life, and it only takes a few minutes.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if it's a stupid question but is it possible that this is a psychological reaction/issue? Whenever I think about it the pain immediately gets worse. Is it normal to experience physical pain when dealing with heartbreaking news? I've had chest pains due to anxiety before but this is something different.t
    As an older person (with a heart attack under my belt) I can assure you this can happen 100%

I experience chest pain (known as angina) from emotional triggers rather than physical (which is more normal with individuals such as I)

I hope there is nothing physical wrong with you but I would definitely have this checked as you might have some kind of condition

ReputationRep:
    ur dad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie S)
    ur dad
    No yours... Should be telling you to go to bed child.

ReputationRep:
    That's literally why it's called heartbreak...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    No yours... Should be telling you to go to bed child.
    ur ded*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    As an older person (with a heart attack under my belt) I can assure you this can happen 100%

I experience chest pain (known as angina) from emotional triggers rather than physical (which is more normal with individuals such as I)

I hope there is nothing physical wrong with you but I would definitely have this checked as you might have some kind of condition
    Sorry to hear you had a heart attack how old are you TeeEm? No worries if you don't want to say completely understandable.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear you had a heart attack how old are you TeeEm? No worries if you don't want to say completely understandable.
    turned 50 in December

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    turned 50 in December
    Cool that you're here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    turned 50 in December
    We need your maths skillz.

You should see your GP either way because if the anxiety/upset is affecting you enough to give you physical symptoms like this then you'll most likely benefit from support of some kind. Yes anxiety/upset can give you strong/scary symptoms like this but it's best to be on the safe side and speak to your GP.
    (Original post by TeeEm)

Thanks guys. Still alive : )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    We need your maths skillz.
    Eh?

ReputationRep:
    Eh?
    He's good at maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    He's good at maths.
    I thought it was a she

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was a she
    That's the patriarchy breaking through.

Maybe she is an "it" :beard:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.