Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So currently I'm a high school junior and I want to apply for the finance program at lse for 2017. We obviously don't have A-Levels here in the US, but going off the entry requirements on the website do you think these classes are good? They only want 5's for the course so I know I should aim for those. Also please comment on my extracurriculars as well. Thanks!

Classes:
    AP BC Calc
    AP Physics 1
    AP World History
    AP Spanish
    AP Micro/Macro

Extracurriculars:
    - Part of award winning model UN team ( was in committees regarding finance & Econ)
    - Part of Physics Club
    - Tutor kids in math
    - Volunteered for Wall Street Journal CEO & CFO events
    - Part of Girlup (UN initiative) & helped fundraise as well as managed finances
    - Danced for 13 years
    - Took several courses on finance & econ through MIT & UPENN open class initiatives
    - Editor of literary magazine at school
    - Worked for President Obama's reelection campaign: fundraising, canvassing; etc
    - Work for small business and help to manage finances

ReputationRep:
    The UCAS app is not like Common App with sections you can fill in your list of ECs (UCAS has some spaces for work experiences tho) I feel like the only chance you're gonna describe your ECs is in your personal statement. But the British-style personal statement focuses heavily on your academic passion instead.

As for chances to LSE, I really don't know since there are no guarantees but getting 5s on your AP exams and writing a strong PS would be the top priority. (rec letter might matter a bit I guess)

All in all, keep on your AP classes and try to get as many 5s as you can; always keep in mind that PS is one of the most critical parts of your app.

Best wishes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kc111)
    The UCAS app is not like Common App with sections you can fill in your list of ECs (UCAS has some spaces for work experiences tho) I feel like the only chance you're gonna describe your ECs is in your personal statement. But the British-style personal statement focuses heavily on your academic passion instead.

As for chances to LSE, I really don't know since there are no guarantees but getting 5s on your AP exams and writing a strong PS would be the top priority. (rec letter might matter a bit I guess)

All in all, keep on your AP classes and try to get as many 5s as you can; always keep in mind that PS is one of the most critical parts of your app.

Best wishes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol I know about the UCAS personal statement. I just wanted to know if these activists were appropriate for said portion. That being said, how should I express my passion for finance? By mentioning books I've read or connections in my life? I've read samples, however, none were very satisfactory at least out of the finance applicants. I don't want to seem cliché.

ReputationRep:
    Your grades are the most important aspect, you're going to need high predicted grades to get in.

The other stuff doesn't really matter. I'd say you should include 1-2 finance related activities that show your interest, and maybe one other activity briefly that reveals you have diverse interests.

Your PS has to reveal your love for finance. If you can't convey why you are interested, you're probably not suitable for the program in the eyes of LSE.

(Original post by Username666)
    X
    The most important course is AP BC Calculus. LSE courses have a heavy Math content. Also google "TSR Distressed American Applying to LSE/Oxford"
    I remember another american asking very similar questions in the above thread.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! If anyone has their favorite personal statement sample do share!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.