Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncaaaaaan)
    Wow this thread got busy over night! Thanks for the responses all.

Okay, a lot of people are suggesting teaching, I've done a lot of voluntary work teaching small kids/people with disability and tbh I feel burnt out on it.

As for performing (solo performance or in an professional ensemble), you have to be insanely, insanely good to actually make a living from it. It's not classical music elitism, it's just true. If you want to do classical music performance you the standard is higher than a band. None of us at my university (and it's a russel group one so it's pretty good) are good enough to go into it right out of graduating. The performance module students would have to do a post grad at somewhere like RNCM so that employers won't bin their CV immediately (because some dude also applyng went to the 'Oxbridge' of performing arts).

As for musical therapist, already done a lot of that with disabled people, it was fun, I genuinely enjoyed it for my year out but I don't think it's something I can do as a career, I am really tired of it now.

'Or, I assume you play an instrument, start a band, write some badass songs and get a record deal...'

Its not a feasible career option, and to gain a record deal you need luck and skill in performing. Also, I play cello, kind of hard to get in a band and I don't have enough knowledge of pop music to perform it. I'm alright, in all the auditioned ensembles at the uni but I am not performance material.

TeeEM why did I pick this? Because we're encouraged by school and parents to study what we are passionate about...

I feel like the degree is one enormous cash cow.

I am spending £9000 for this year, but where is it actually going? Access to the library and three seminars for £9000... lol. LOL. I am mad.
    Grad scheme why are yiu ignorung this?

ReputationRep:
    Final year music student here

This is absolutely balls.

Got not a single lecture this year, just three 1 hour long seminars.

one 4000 word essay

3 6000 word essays

1 10-12000 word essay (dissertation)

It's crap value for money (£9000, not a single lecture) and to top it off, all my friends that graduated with a music degree are either jobless or flipping burgers/making subway sandwiches.

I seriously regret doing a music degree, it's all well and good 'studying what you love' when mummy and daddy are supporting you financially and SFE is giving you loans but the fact is, I f*cking hate this degree because it sucks and the career prospects for a music degree are just awful.

I'm too deep into this to quit now but holy **** I think I just wasted 3 years of my life.
    If you're serious about being a professional classical musician, then a music degree is extremely important (but I would say more for the networking that you receive through it). And for this to have the biggest impact, you'll want to study at one of the big four.

Where are you doing yours?

You haven't given us any insight into where you want to go with your degree though, so it's difficult to put any kind of definitive opinion down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incongruous)
    Well as someone who went to a music school in my teens and then went on to do a 4 year music course at a top London music college, this is my experience:

I do not know anyone who manages to earn a sufficient living out of just being a performer. The amount of money offered for performing is quite poor, it is an overcrowded profession for very limited amount of opportunities.
    Oh where did you go?

And I agree with this - even musicians in the LSO and such like can still be found teaching at music schools and colleges to keep the income sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    Oh where did you go?

And I agree with this - even musicians in the LSO and such like can still be found teaching at music schools and colleges to keep the income sufficient.
    A good music college in London. I'd rather not say which.

ReputationRep:
    Just a thought but my sister is in her final year of her music degree at City of London and has more or less realised that the job prospects aren't that great however she's worked with IMG artists and Song lines as an internship and plans to have a full time position with them after graduating so may be working with music companies could be another thing? Sorry I don't know much about the industry but good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incongruous)
    A good music college in London. I'd rather not say which.
    lol sorry I asked, burn me in fire :P

Our paths will probably have crossed at some point. Hell, maybe we were even roomies lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John55)
    Couldn't you go into teaching?

Or, I assume you play an instrument, start a band, write some badass songs and get a record deal...

Yeah... RIIIIGHT!! You and 50,000,000,000 other peeps. EVERYBODY from 14 to 88, is forming a garage band and trying to be the next "Beatles". Your chances (IMHO) are nearly zero.

IMHO (again), a more realistic career path would be to learn how to write code (there are plenty of web sites set up to help you do this), and start selling useful pgms on the internet. You do not need a degree to do this, and it can be lucrative. A mate of mine (over here) is working his way through electrical engineering school - working on his Bachelor's degree - selling code on the internet. He made enough in one summer to pay for 2 years at a "community college", plus the books. Shame you had to do a "music" degree, before you found out that reality bites. I looked into my prospects in engineering before i started my degree program. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Final year music student here

This is absolutely balls.

Got not a single lecture this year, just three 1 hour long seminars.

one 4000 word essay

3 6000 word essays

1 10-12000 word essay (dissertation)

It's crap value for money (£9000, not a single lecture) and to top it off, all my friends that graduated with a music degree are either jobless or flipping burgers/making subway sandwiches.

I seriously regret doing a music degree, it's all well and good 'studying what you love' when mummy and daddy are supporting you financially and SFE is giving you loans but the fact is, I f*cking hate this degree because it sucks and the career prospects for a music degree are just awful.

I'm too deep into this to quit now but holy **** I think I just wasted 3 years of my life.
    Didn't you consider your career prospects before you signed up for the course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rabbit20164)
    Yeah... RIIIIGHT!! You and 50,000,000,000 other peeps. EVERYBODY from 14 to 88, is forming a garage band and trying to be the next "Beatles". Your chances (IMHO) are nearly zero.
    It was a joke, though, since OP is musically trained, I imagine that would give him an advantage over the '50,000,000,000' other people trying to become the next Beatles...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    Didn't you consider your career prospects before you signed up for the course?
    Nope, I was a dumbass teenager.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John55)
    It was a joke, though, since OP is musically trained, I imagine that would give him an advantage over the '50,000,000,000' other people trying to become the next Beatles...
    I disagree. As long as you make sound which people like it doesn't matter if you are a tramp or a millionaire. But that is besides the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawbringer)
    I disagree. As long as you make sound which people like it doesn't matter if you are a tramp or a millionaire. But that is besides the point.
    I wasn't denying that, most famous musicians don't know the first thing about music theory, I was just saying being musically educated shouldn't hurt your chances...

ReputationRep:
    A degree in music is a degree so it gives you access to various post graduate professional qualifications.( Make sure you get a good degree classification, preferably a first or high second.)

Just as an example you may apply to get a financial award from an Inn/ or Law Firm to do a Graduate Diploma in Law (1 year), followed by the BPTC (1 year Barrister) or LPC ( 2 years solicitor).

Chris Pigram has a degree in music. He has recently been appointed as a District Judge.

ReputationRep:
    So, if you aren't good enough to even be a session musician, and clearly do t have the interest in music. Why do I it in the first place? Did someone 'make' you do it? You sound like just another of the many music students who stumble into it without any idea what sort of work ethic is involved with making a success of it. And subject these days needs a high work ethic in order to make a living from it. Music is no different. In fact most professional musicians started their 'careers' at the age of 4 or 5. I'm a professional musician, who makes a decent living, but I have practiced on average between 3-4 hours a day since the age of 10 to be able to do what I do. How about you ? Btw, PLEASE don't take anyone's advice about going into teaching, with an attitude like yours, you shouldn't be put in front of any sort of classroom.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I'm with the no degree is useless, although wouldnt yo do a music degree if you were actually going to perform rather than it be a hobby. Go and become a lawyer and do the GDL. Make sure you get a good degree.

I'm glad you picked up on the £9,000 thing as more people need to wake up to whether they are getting value for money.

I'm surpised youd do it without thinking what you might do at the end. Couldnt you look at jobs in the music industry, even if not direct performance?

ReputationRep:
    I understand this has been inactive for a month or two, but having just finished my A Levels and hoping to do music at uni, I'm starting to worry about my choice now... :/
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by HazMusicPanda)
    I understand this has been inactive for a month or two, but having just finished my A Levels and hoping to do music at uni, I'm starting to worry about my choice now... :/
    No need to worry, per se! Just be pragmatic and realistic, and build up your CV if poss whilst you're at uni. It's a tough job market for everyone :sadnod:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My plan is to finish Bmus, then do a part time masters in jazz performance course whilst doing the PGCE.

It would be nice to teach at a college/university and do some private tutoring on the side (whether it be instrument tuition, music theory etc). I will of course also continue to play in bands but there isn't enough money in that to make a living so it will probably still just be a hobby.

If teaching isn't for you though, I can see why you are finding it difficult. It isn't easy to make a good living in the music business through many other routes.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Duncaaaaaan;63330373]xx/QUOTE]

I have a degree in music from a bang average university..*

Now own my own business in china, and make a well above average wage..

*With a degree like music, it is worthless on its own - even from a good university. It has to be coupled with other skills to have any worth:*
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Decent music degree + Strong academic record = good for general grad jobs, or contiuning academics

Degree + Very good specific music skill (performance, composition) maybe you can make it in the industry (although your no more likely then a person without the degree.. it just gave you a free 3 years to work on your skills)*

Decent music degree + teaching experience = teacher/lecturer/private tutor etc.

Music degree from top uni = possibility of conversion to law / medicine / other disciplines *

Music degree + specific skill = enter into specialized roles, for example a friend of mine gained a lot of experience *working with disabled people, and now works running a music service for disabled individuals for a regional charity.. another friend works for a start-up electronics company developing music tech)*

It is, like most degrees, only worth as much as you add to it. For me, It was necessary to my progression. I used the time during my degree to practice and experiment with my own business/projects, and I got my first job directly from my degree - working as a music technician, and then my career carried on from there.*

ReputationRep:
    Music degree is useful only if you are passionate about Music.

You can choose any field as for you career:

Musician and songwriter
    Artist/production manager
    Music journalist
    Music educator
    Music community worker
    Music researcher
    Music/cultural theorist and writer
    Creative marketing
    Record companies

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 19, 2018

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.