Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annewilson09)
    Music degree is useful only if you are passionate about Music.

You can choose any field as for you career:

Musician and songwriter
    Artist/production manager
    Music journalist
    Music educator
    Music community worker
    Music researcher
    Music/cultural theorist and writer
    Creative marketing
    Record companies
    For most of those, you don't need 4/3 years at university studying music. In fact, you could easily do them with other degrees, or without any degree.
    The ones that do require degrees, the opportunities are very few or there are far too many people competing for those jobs.

ReputationRep:
    OP, I feel your pain but don't worry.
    I did a music degree 20 years ago and have regretted it ever since. BUT I have been in full time employment ever since (not flipping burgers, but not doing anything music related) - when all's said and done, a lot of employers just want the fact that you've got any degree, becuase it shows you can apply yourself. Music is good because it involves a variety of analytical and essay writing skills, time management, creativity and team work. Yes, it drives me nuts when well-meaning people say 'why don't you go into teaching/performance/music therapy' because they are not realistic career options for most music grads.

20 years too late I'm about to start a biomedicine degree (I hope). I wish I had done it sooner. Assuming that you're not a mature student, don't worry because you've got plenty of time to retrain IF you eventually decide that's what you want and you can somehow finance it (I am working full time alongside my studies)

good luck x

ReputationRep:
    The most important thing about getting a degree, is obtaining a job after graduation. What you should do is get as much help as you can from your school's alumni office. It's almost impossible to get a career in music without connections, so that's absolutely vital so you don't end up jobless. I have a degree from Berklee and I can personally tell you that it's ****ing useless without connections. At the end of the day, you can't give up because your classmates are gonna end up hella successful and that's not a good feeling at all when you're struggling. Utilize your resources as much as you can; that's what all that money from your education is for.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.