Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The obvious answer is yes, but let me put it into context:

I'm currently on my placement year, and it's official end date is two weeks before freshers week. But I find the placement tiring as I wake up at 6:30 am everyday and I travel for 2 hours a day which gets really tiring, etc. So I plan to save up my 3 weeks holiday and finish 5 weeks before freshers week, because I wanted to be well rested for my final year as I'm aiming for a first.

However, I want to apply for PhDs next year and now that I think about it, I have done no subject related extra-curricular activities during my time at university which I feel would really hinder my application. I know I have a placement under my belt, but it's not related whatsoever to the industry I want to go into so it's probably not as helpful as I'd like it to be.

I spoke to one of my lecturers and he said he'd be happy for me to work in his lab, doing something related to the career I want to go into. However, due to time constraints as mentioned above, it means I only have a couple of days to rest and I'm back to being 9-5 in the lab again until pretty much the start of term so I don't get a summer or even get a proper break. I'm worried that this will severely affect my final grade as a result.

Thoughts?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I spoke to one of my lecturers and he said he'd be happy for me to work in his lab, doing something related to the career I want to go into.

This kind of work experience is so valuable I wouldn't turn it down if you are keen to get on to a PhD programme.

It will be tough because you'll be doing a lot of work, but if you're prepared for that it shouldn't have to stress you out too much :dumbells: Also if you're enjoying the lab work because it's helping you get to where you want to go it hopefully shouldn't be too emotionally draining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    I spoke to one of my lecturers and he said he'd be happy for me to work in his lab, doing something related to the career I want to go into.

This kind of work experience is so valuable I wouldn't turn it down if you are keen to get on to a PhD programme.

It will be tough because you'll be doing a lot of work, but if you're prepared for that it shouldn't have to stress you out too much :dumbells: Also if you're enjoying the lab work because it's helping you get to where you want to go it hopefully shouldn't be too emotionally draining.
    That's what I thought too - it should be something I genuinely enjoy so time will probably fly - and I will get another potential reference which is never a bad thing.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Any research experience you can get will be beneficial especially if you want to do a PhD. It'll also prepare you well for a research job in which you work full time and don't get a summer break! At most unis teaching won't be in full swing in fresher's week so you should have some time to rest then.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.