Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The obvious answer is yes, but let me put it into context:

I'm currently on my placement year, and it's official end date is two weeks before freshers week. But I find the placement tiring as I wake up at 6:30 am everyday and I travel for 2 hours a day which gets really tiring, etc. So I plan to save up my 3 weeks holiday and finish 5 weeks before freshers week, because I wanted to be well rested for my final year as I'm aiming for a first.

However, I want to apply for PhDs next year and now that I think about it, I have done no subject related extra-curricular activities during my time at university which I feel would really hinder my application. I know I have a placement under my belt, but it's not related whatsoever to the industry I want to go into so it's probably not as helpful as I'd like it to be.

I spoke to one of my lecturers and he said he'd be happy for me to work in his lab, doing something related to the career I want to go into. However, due to time constraints as mentioned above, it means I only have a couple of days to rest and I'm back to being 9-5 in the lab again until pretty much the start of term so I don't get a summer or even get a proper break. I'm worried that this will severely affect my final grade as a result.

Thoughts?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I spoke to one of my lecturers and he said he'd be happy for me to work in his lab, doing something related to the career I want to go into.

This kind of work experience is so valuable I wouldn't turn it down if you are keen to get on to a PhD programme.

It will be tough because you'll be doing a lot of work, but if you're prepared for that it shouldn't have to stress you out too much :dumbells: Also if you're enjoying the lab work because it's helping you get to where you want to go it hopefully shouldn't be too emotionally draining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    I spoke to one of my lecturers and he said he'd be happy for me to work in his lab, doing something related to the career I want to go into.

This kind of work experience is so valuable I wouldn't turn it down if you are keen to get on to a PhD programme.

It will be tough because you'll be doing a lot of work, but if you're prepared for that it shouldn't have to stress you out too much :dumbells: Also if you're enjoying the lab work because it's helping you get to where you want to go it hopefully shouldn't be too emotionally draining.
    That's what I thought too - it should be something I genuinely enjoy so time will probably fly - and I will get another potential reference which is never a bad thing.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Any research experience you can get will be beneficial especially if you want to do a PhD. It'll also prepare you well for a research job in which you work full time and don't get a summer break! At most unis teaching won't be in full swing in fresher's week so you should have some time to rest then.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.