Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing either:
    Business Studies & Chinese (Liverpool) 3yrs (+1 optional in china)
    International Business Management & Economics (Aston) 4yrs

I havent a clue which uni is better and I haven't been on either applicant days (but I will be) and i didnt go on any open days either.

So which course is better. Liverpool is a Russell Group and Aston is a 1% Global Business School. Liverpool has 19,500 students, Aston has 9000.

Any experiences of either is welcome too! Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    You should really base this decision on course, not university. Chinese is a very difficult language to learn, unless you are absolutely passionate about it then I would not do it at degree level.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by donte)
    I'm doing either:
    Business Studies & Chinese (Liverpool) 3yrs (+1 optional in china)
    International Business Management & Economics (Aston) 4yrs

I havent a clue which uni is better and I haven't been on either applicant days (but I will be) and i didnt go on any open days either.

So which course is better. Liverpool is a Russell Group and Aston is a 1% Global Business School. Liverpool has 19,500 students, Aston has 9000.

Any experiences of either is welcome too! Thanks
    Hi,

Thanks for considering studying with us, rather than throwing marketing stats at you, i was wondering if you had any specific questions about Aston or student life in general?

I graduated in 2014 and have lived in Birmingham all my life, so i can probably answer most things you can throw at me.

Josh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aston University)
    Hi,

Thanks for considering studying with us, rather than throwing marketing stats at you, i was wondering if you had any specific questions about Aston or student life in general?

I graduated in 2014 and have lived in Birmingham all my life, so i can probably answer most things you can throw at me.

Josh
    Thanks for replying.
    These are a few questions off the top of my head:

did you think the 9000ish students made it feel more like an extension of high school/college rather than uni?

Are you learning a language? and if so are the lessons in depth enough to allow you to be at A-level/fairly fluent level by the 3rd year?

Is there an archery team? Is it good? Does it have good coaches and connections? What league is it in?

And is there a marina close by?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by donte)
    Thanks for replying.
    These are a few questions off the top of my head:
    Did you think the 9000ish students made it feel more like an extension of high school/college rather than uni?

From my experience, it didn't really feel like an extension of college. The way teaching changes to a more independent and less spoon-fed nature was a slight culture shock, thankfully the adjustment period in first year really helps you with that. Additionally there is a big expansion in the social side of things, getting to mix with tonnes of fellow students, studying multiple subjects. It grants you the ability to be a bit of a social butterfly.

Are you learning a language? and if so are the lessons in depth enough to allow you to be at A-level/fairly fluent level by the 3rd year?

I chose not to learn a language during my time at Aston, however i had a number of friends do the Languages For All course and then go on to do their placement year in Japan. My friend Ryan blogged his experience here.

Is there an archery team? Is it good? Does it have good coaches and connections? What league is it in?

Unfortunately we don't have an archery team at the present time. However the option is always there to start your own club or society, if you can find 10 like-minded students. You can see a full list of clubs and societies here.

Unfortunately Birmingham is landlocked and there are no real oceans nearby, the closest being a few hours away by car. However we have plenty of Canals, if you're looking for a bit of open water.

Hope that helps, anything else just give me a shout.

Josh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aston University)
    Did you think the 9000ish students made it feel more like an extension of high school/college rather than uni?

From my experience, it didn't really feel like an extension of college. The way teaching changes to a more independent and less spoon-fed nature was a slight culture shock, thankfully the adjustment period in first year really helps you with that. Additionally there is a big expansion in the social side of things, getting to mix with tonnes of fellow students, studying multiple subjects. It grants you the ability to be a bit of a social butterfly.

I chose not to learn a language during my time at Aston, however i had a number of friends do the Languages For All course and then go on to do their placement year in Japan. My friend Ryan blogged his experience here.

Unfortunately we don't have an archery team at the present time. However the option is always there to start your own club or society, if you can find 10 like-minded students. You can see a full list of clubs and societies here.

Unfortunately Birmingham is landlocked and there are no real oceans nearby, the closest being a few hours away by car. However we have plenty of Canals, if you're looking for a bit of open water.

Hope that helps, anything else just give me a shout.

Josh
    Thanks thats been quite helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Wow I clicked on this hoping it was a football thread

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The year in china would be able to help open more career options , like it would look more appealing to employers , it will be fun to be able to study and explore another country too. But bear in mind you will have to be doing well in your first year to be allowed a year abroad

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 17, 2017

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.