Turn on thread page Beta

Were you a premature baby? watch

ReputationRep:
    If so, how has it affected you?

ReputationRep:
    no i genuinely wish i wasn't born >.>

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it affected me, I was born like 2 weeks early and my sister was born nearly a month early.

I guess 38 weeks isn't so bad, my sister seems pretty healthy as well but she's a bit young to tell if there's many effects.

One thing that might be the cause is my lung capacity, I had some sort of asthma type thing when I was young but it seems to not affect me now so maybe I was misdiagnosed? I am not sure. In class though using spirometres, for my height and gender I am incredibly poor. Or for things like holding my breath under water, I am almost comically bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    I don't think it affected me, I was born like 2 weeks early and my sister was born nearly a month early.

I guess 38 weeks isn't so bad, my sister seems pretty healthy as well but she's a bit young to tell if there's many effects.

One thing that might be the cause is my lung capacity, I had some sort of asthma type thing when I was young but it seems to not affect me now so maybe I was misdiagnosed? I am not sure. In class though using spirometres, for my height and gender I am incredibly poor. Or for things like holding my breath under water, I am almost comically bad.
    Is t before 37 weeks classed as premature?
    A month early??
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Nope.

Do have a cousin who was born something like 6 weeks early. She spent some time in hospital; but is otherwise fine. Do have another cousin (on the other side of the family) who was born 10 weeks early. He was born with chronic lung disease.

ReputationRep:
    I was born at 26 weeks... Parents said they thought they would lose me.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I was born 10 weeks early. I don't think it has affected me too much, although I did get ill A LOT when I was little, I had pneumonia a few times for example. I also have asthma and am fairly short sighted, although whether they are related to being premature I'm not sure

ReputationRep:
    I was born 6 weeks early and it happened to be the day before my mum's 21st. I weighed very little and was tiny. I had jaundice when I was born and was in hospital for 3 weeks. Other than that, I've grown up to be of average normal height and health.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was born 2 weeks early. About 30mins later I turned a funny colour and stopped breathing, and the nurses had to revive me over several times! They were told I wouldn't live to 5, but I turn 17 in July! Miracles do happen
    Posted from TSR Mobile

I was born 5 days early is that counts as anything :dontknow:

I had a low birth weight though. 5 lb and 3 oz. Apparently low birth weight has been linked to an increased chance of heart disease
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I was about 6 weeks early. I was born with a virus and nearly died (Daddy says it was one of the scariest things he has ever witnessed). I was in ICU for 2 weeks. My immune system is pretty crap, but that's about it. I only started wearing glasses when I was 16, and I doubt having personality disorder traits has nothing to do with premature births.

Yes, my twin brother and I were about 1.5 months early.

How has it affected me? Well, I'm 1.5 months older than I would otherwise be...

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't premature but I was a very sickly child

My cousin was born very premature and was in intensive care. I remember holding her when I was about 11 and almost dropping her. I now have a phobia of holding babies.

ReputationRep:
    I was born like a day late because my mum didn't know how to push and so her labour ran over onto the next day when it probably wasn't supposed to.

ReputationRep:
    I was born two weeks early because my mum had*pre-eclampsia and had to be induced. I had jaundice but no other problems. I have asthma and I'm shorted sighted but don't think they're related.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2016
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.