Turn on thread page Beta

Mackay's Weekly Members Interview EUROPA LEAGUE SPECIAL - Lucio vs Dirtybit watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    So, it's Liverpool vs Manchester United this week and next. The Reds take a 2-0 lead to Old Trafford for the second leg against LVG's men.

To celebrate their first meeting in European competition, Liverpool fan Lucio and MUFC supporter Dirtybit are in the hot seat.

Over to them...

Why you support your club?
    Lucio: For the glory obviously! No in all seriousness, I was in year 5 and I'd just moved to a new school. I'd played football all my life but only really gotten in to supporting it around then so I had to "choose" a team, so to speak. I've obviously always followed York City but I'm sure you can understand you need to really support a Premier League team because of the exposure and coverage. The first guy I made friends with supported Liverpool, so I thought what the hell? Over a decade later, I haven't looked back once.
    Dirtybit: Most because my older brother and cousin were born in Manchester and supported them so I followed suit. Also United were popular, won a lot of trophies and had the players I liked the most at the club when I was young.

Liverpool vs Man United, in the Europa League. What is your favourite memory of the fixture?
    Lucio: I'm a litte torn between the 4-1 thrashing when Aurelio scored the cheekiest long range free kick, or the 3-0 a few seasons ago with the SAS. I think the latter showcased just how good we were that season but also showed just how amazing DDG is. He made the save of the season in that match and although he plays for United, he's an absolute joy to watch at times.
    Dirtybit:

Which ONE player in history from the other club would you take for your own team?
    Lucio: I'm not sure I could look past Ronaldo. The man is the complete athlete and although I rate Messi higher, the difference is the Ronaldo has shown he can do it both in England and Spain. There's literally nothing he isn't good at - long shots, headers, set pieces, anything. A truly phenomenal player.
    Dirtybit: It’d have to be a peak Gerrard.

And one current player from the opposite club?
    Lucio: DDG of course. I've already mentioned how outstanding he is but I think I speak for all Liverpool fans when I say one thing we could do with is a world class goalkeeper...
    Dirtybit: None tbh.

What do you hate about the other club?
    Lucio: I've always hated their perceived superiority, especially since the downfall after SAF left. I know you see it with a lot of other clubs but the way I see things, you have to earn your place. You don't deserve CL football because you're Manchester United, you must earn it because you're Manchester United.
    Dirtybit: Them living in the past.

What do you grudgingly respect about the other club?
    Lucio: Their ability to always pull it out of the bag. It was more frequent under SAF but you still see shades of it under LVG. It's their mentality as a club and it's bloody infuriating. The CL final when they beat Chelsea sticks in my mind. They were about to lose - all Terry had to do was score. Van der Sar dives the wrong way...Terry hits the post and United eventually win the competition. Don't get me wrong, it was amazing tension but I couldn't believe it.
    Dirtybit: Their amount of trophies, a club with history not a money pumping Arab business.

How far will your club go in the competition, and where will they finish in the PL?
    Lucio: I've seen this season as a write off since Klopp arrived - not in a bad way, merely in a way that means it's unfair to criticise the manager or players for a poor season after so much going on. We're in good form so I think we'll make 6th. As far as EL goes, I optimistically think we'll beat United over 2 legs and go out somewhere in the semis.
    Dirtybit: Honestly don’t know, We will finish 5th IMO. The best option to replace LVG for me is Mourinho.

What player would you drive to another club?
    Lucio: Jose Enrique. The man is an embarrassment and if there's one thing I've always hated to see, it's footballers who are happy to sit on the bench and take their wage without having to do anything.
    Dirtybit: Fellaini no hesitation.

What one change would you make at your club? (Off-the-pitch!)

Lucio: One thing I've always disliked is the transfer committee. Personally, if I'm a manager and my job is riding on team performance, I want to be able to choose whoever I want (within reason) to help me keep my job and achieve greatness. As soon as you give sizable decision making power to others, it creates a sense of anonymity whereby nobody knows who is really to blame for failing. Just let the manager make his own decisions and if he's a quality guy, he'll get you results.
    Dirtybit: Change up the training methods.

What's your favourite memory from supporting your club?
    Lucio: Totally overused but it has to be Istanbul. I must admit, I gave up hope at half time. 3-0 down to the best team in the world who outclass you in every position? People sometimes forget that it isn't just the manner of the comeback, it's the fact we were facing a near perfect opposition. Additionally, people forget that Milan had plenty of chances to make it 4-3. That game was the perfect advertisement for football as a sport. Ups and downs, unbelievable comebacks and hanging on by a thread.
    Dirtybit: Has to be when we won the CL in 07/08 season.

And your worst?
    Lucio: The Gerrard slip. That is the kind of thing that will never be forgotten. I could see the match result coming a mile off but I had no idea it would effectively soil the career of in my opinion, the best player to ever play for Liverpool FC.
    Dirtybit: Loss to Barca in the 2009 CL Final

Let's get away from football for a second, shall we? Europe: in or out?
    Lucio: As far as politics goes, I don't care as much as I should. I don't know the ins and outs and if I were to make a decision, it wouldn't really be a fully informed one. I probably won't vote because of that, however if I had to choose, I'd want things to stay as they are.
    Dirtybit: IN

Are you Labour or Conservative? Or perhaps something else?
    Lucio: As above, I don't tend to concern myself with politics, although I suppose when I get a bit older and better off financially, I may shift towards Conservative.
    Dirtybit: Fancy Dress Party

What's your perfect breakfast?
    Lucio: Eggs Benedict. Every time.
    Dirtybit: Full English ofc

Best lie you've ever told?
    Lucio: I've never been a liar really. It's not that I can't do it, I just have never felt the need to. There's always a combination of words you can use to negate the need for a lie - even a white lie.
    Dirtybit: I have read and agree to all the terms and conditions.

What's the first album you bought?
    Lucio: Curtain Call by Eminem in 2005. White boy likes the white rapper - big surprise. I was a cool kid...
    Dirtybit: Can’t remember.

You are allowed five celebrities over to your house for dinner. Who do you opt for?
    Lucio: Alycia Debnam Carey and Emilia Clarke (for eye candy). Gerrard and Carragher to hear whatever footballing stories they wished to tell. Dynamo (the magician) for after-dinner entertainment.
    Dirtybit: Beyonce, Kim K, Kevin Hart, Pique, Red_Woman

What's the worst film you've ever seen?
    Lucio: Probably the most recent remake of Fantastic Four. Never gonna get that time back...
    Dirtybit: Meet the Spartans by far

Which famous quote do you wish you'd delivered?
    Lucio: Whatever the hell Benitez said to the lads at half time in Istanbul.
    Dirtybit: “Faith is taking the first step even when you can't see the whole staircase.” – Martin Luther King Jr.

What is the most physical pain you've ever felt?
    Lucio: Surprisingly enough, at the age of 21 I have never broken a bone or had a serious injury, so luckily I've never had to experience immense pain. Ridiculously enough, the most pain I can remember was being shot in the thigh from point blank range playing paintball when I was a teenager. Biggest bruise I've ever seen. Bloodshot in the middle, surrounded by purple, surrounded by orange/yellow. Ouch.
    Dirtybit: Trying to do backflips on a trampoline and jumping off and landing on my teeth on the floor.

Who is your favourite fictional character?
    Lucio: There are so many to choose from and I'll probably curse myself after this for thinking of somebody better. For now I'm gonna say Sherlock Holmes. Perfectly British, and I've always loved the idea of a character using his brain as much as he did.
    Dirtybit: John Snow

Most over-rated footballer on Earth. Who is it?
    Lucio: Hard to say because I always try my hardest to look for the good qualities in a highly rated football. I'd have to say David Luiz. At Chelsea he was an absolute nightmare. I have no idea why PSG paid so much money for him. Yes he's a ball player and gets forward well, but I'd rather my CB stay where he is thanks...
    Dirtybit: Aaron Ramsey? Coutinho? Cavani?

What's your favourite joke?
    Lucio: I found this on a Penguin wrapper a few months ago:
    "Why can't a penguin fly?"
    "Because it's a chocolate biscuit."
    Probably the best-worst joke I've ever seen but it gets me every time.
    Dirtybit: Louis van Gaal/What do you call a Muslim guy flying a plane?
    A pilot, you racist.

What's the best thing you've ever received for free?
    Lucio: I won a competition at high school and got a free phone! It was a flip phone too - only cool people had those back in the day.
    Dirtybit: Education m8

Do you think we should legalise drugs?
    Lucio: God no. I've never seen the point in drugs unless it's for medical reasons. I think things should stay as they are.
    Dirtybit: No

What's the most you've ever spent on an item of clothing?
    Lucio: Before I started Uni, I spent about £150 on a really fancy coat. I don't normally spend so much on clothes but certain items are definitely worth paying big money for. I think I'm due another one now actually...
    Dirtybit: £180 IIRC

And, lastly, who will win the tie?

Lucio: I wouldn't be much of a fan if I didn't say Liverpool! We're in good form and United have been struggling. We've already lost to them twice this season and I think the players know we can't let them beat us again.
    Dirtybit: YANITEDDDD

ReputationRep:
    Lucio's answers are like a kid in a candy shop, in contrast to Dirtybit who sounds like he's being forced to give answers at gunpoint

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliRizzo)
    Lucio's answers are like a kid in a candy shop, in contrast to Dirtybit who sounds like he's being forced to give answers at gunpoint
    That's what passion gets you m8

Dirtybit has become the new pessimist. Poor showing, although the T&C bit was quality.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Got to admit, I did enjoy doing this.

Question: which game against the opposing club have you most enjoyed that you HAVEN'T won?

Mine will always be the 2-2 in 1998-99, when we came from 2-0 down and Irwin was sent off.

ReputationRep:
    Scraping the bottom of the members barrel I see
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by difeo)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Yeah because difleted was the pinnacle...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Yeah because difleted was the pinnacle...
    It was tbf

*difpleted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    It was tbf

*difpleted
    Oh that's alright then.

As you were.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Oh that's alright then.

As you were.
    Fridge or cupboard?

ReputationRep:
    Ketchup?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Fridge or cupboard?
    Cupboard you lunatic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Cupboard you lunatic.
    Enjoy your lukewarm ketchup on your warm meal

Do u even contrast

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Enjoy your lukewarm ketchup on your warm meal

Do u even contrast
    I live in the North. No cupboard is lukewarm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    I live in the North. No cupboard is lukewarm.
    All your cupboards are Luke-warm m8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    All your cupboards are Luke-warm m8
    3/10

Believe me m8, cupboard-ketchup is comparatively cold compared to the rest of the meal. Fridge-ketchup goes too far; it's too cold and it ruins everything.
    When will you learn young one...

ReputationRep:
    As if people from the North don't eat whatever they find in a bin behind a chippie anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy Seville)
    As if people from the North don't eat whatever they find in a bin behind a chippie anyway
    Meet me in Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Meet me in Leeds.
    Saucy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Meet me in Leeds.
    Savile-esque

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.