Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm doing a discovery module in Theology and Ethics (I study a language) and really struggling with writing my essay due next week. Really need a good mark in this but I'm panicking now because I can't get my head round it.

Essay question: "is morality too difficult for humans? Discuss with reference to kant's views on religion."

My plan is as follows:
    1. Hare's notion of Moral Gap - we need God because we cannot fulfill our ethical duty alone as there are constraints upon what we can achieve. Kant's solution - ought implies can. This demonstrates our dependence on God and that we cannot act morally alone.

2. Moral law comes before religion - duty for duty's sake etc. I am going to argue that it is impossible to act purely out of duty and therefore, in terms of Kant, it is too difficult to act morally.

3. Euthyphro Dilemma vs. Divine Command Theory - not 100% sure how i'm going to argue this bit yet.

What I'm stuck on is number 1. I'm not sure how to argue this. I feel like Kant contradicts himself because Kant’s moral argument does notimply that God is required for morality, but that God is required in order formorality to fully attain its end, “therefore, it is morally necessary toassume the existence of God.” But then ought implies can demonstrates our dependence on God to behave morally??

If anyone can give me any help at all that would be amazing as I'm really stuck and stressing out and I really need to achieve a good mark in this essay..... Doesn't help I don't even study theology/philosophy/ethics etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizzy2646)
    Hi,

I'm doing a discovery module in Theology and Ethics (I study a language) and really struggling with writing my essay due next week. Really need a good mark in this but I'm panicking now because I can't get my head round it.

Essay question: "is morality too difficult for humans? Discuss with reference to kant's views on religion."

My plan is as follows:
    1. Hare's notion of Moral Gap - we need God because we cannot fulfill our ethical duty alone as there are constraints upon what we can achieve. Kant's solution - ought implies can. This demonstrates our dependence on God and that we cannot act morally alone.

2. Moral law comes before religion - duty for duty's sake etc. I am going to argue that it is impossible to act purely out of duty and therefore, in terms of Kant, it is too difficult to act morally.

3. Euthyphro Dilemma vs. Divine Command Theory - not 100% sure how i'm going to argue this bit yet.

What I'm stuck on is number 1. I'm not sure how to argue this. I feel like Kant contradicts himself because Kant’s moral argument does not imply that God is required for morality, but that God is required in order for morality to fully attain its end, “therefore, it is morally necessary to assume the existence of God.” But then ought implies can demonstrates our dependence on God to behave morally??

If anyone can give me any help at all that would be amazing as I'm really stuck and stressing out and I really need to achieve a good mark in this essay..... Doesn't help I don't even study theology/philosophy/ethics etc..
    https://ethicalrealism.wordpress.com...-faith-in-god/
    Kant does not believe that we ultimately have to believe in God. “Thou shalt believe in God” would certainly be out of the question. Instead, we merely have some reason to have faith in God (or whatever else could do the job). Why? Because God can make sure we can achieve our moral goals.

also your Euthyphro Dilemma vs DVC
    How are you going to argue this? the dilemma is more of a problem showing whether or not we need God to make moral decisions and the theory is well a theory

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 11, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.