Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    how does decreasing the concentration decease the percentage error????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pondsteps)
    how does decreasing the concentration decease the percentage error????
    http://www.knockhardy.org.uk/sci_htm_files/08error.pdf

maybe this could help?

ReputationRep:
    thanks a lot .. but it still doesnt answer my question (

ReputationRep:
    thanks a lot .. but it still doesnt answer my question (
    well it depends, i don't understand what you mean by concentration.

I need more info, concentration of what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    well it depends, i don't understand what you mean by concentration.

I need more info, concentration of what?
    the question says "the concentration of sodium thiosulfate used to titrate the iodine was changed from 0.100 mol/dm^3 to 0.050 mol/dm^3.. explain whether this change will improve the experimental procedure for measuring the concentration of sulfur dioxide" the markscheme: 1) larger titration reading/.......... 2) so smaller percentage error
    ORR
    1) smaller mass of sodium thiosulfate used to make solution
    2) so greater percentage error in the mass measurment

i dont understand how the concentration is effecting the vulme and mass and thus the percentage error.........

ReputationRep:
    the question says "the concentration of sodium thiosulfate used to titrate the iodine was changed from 0.100 mol/dm^3 to 0.050 mol/dm^3.. explain whether this change will improve the experimental procedure for measuring the concentration of sulfur dioxide" the markscheme: 1) larger titration reading/.......... 2) so smaller percentage error
    ORR
    1) smaller mass of sodium thiosulfate used to make solution
    2) so greater percentage error in the mass measurment

i dont understand how the concentration is effecting the vulme and mass and thus the percentage error.........
    Decreasing the conc means that you will get a larger titre. If your burette measures to the nearest 0.05cm^3. then if your titre was say 10 your percentage error would be (0.05/10 *100) =0.5%, whereas if your titre was 20 then it is now (0.05/20 *100) =0.25%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Decreasing the conc means that you will get a larger titre. If your burette measures to the nearest 0.05cm^3. then if your titre was say 10 your percentage error would be (0.05/10 *100) =0.5%, whereas if your titre was 20 then it is now (0.05/20 *100) =0.25%
    aha okay.. i dont understand the point about mass tho

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 12, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.