Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screenshot_2016-03-11-12-13-59.png
Views: 106
Size:  381.5 KB hi is there anyone out there who could help me understand why they are proportional and how to solve this question?

Before I lose my sanity lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsstudent27)
Size:  381.5 KB hi is there anyone out there who could help me understand why they are proportional and how to solve this question?

What does Kepler's third law state?
    Think of the summary equation.
    Rearrange, and prove your question!

Falls out of Newton's gravitational law and formula for centripetal acceleration.
    And you have to relate T to the velocity.

ReputationRep:

Use circular motion formulae with gravitational attraction to derive Kepler's equation that'll show that T^2 = kr^3.

Remember what \omega = \frac{2\pi}{T}

Edit: lol **** this nvm got ninjaed twice over :rofl:

ReputationRep:

Equate the gravitational force to the centripetal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricPiphany)
    Falls out of Newton's gravitational law and formula for centripetal acceleration.
    And you have to relate T to the velocity.
    Just use the form of centripetal force with omega

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Equate the gravitational force to the centripetal
    The way you phrased this is a bit misleading, isn't it? The gravitational force provides the centripetal force, you don't equate the two.

(Original post by samb1234)
    Just use the form of centripetal force with omega
    velocity could mean 'angular velocity' too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    The way you phrased this is a bit misleading, isn't it? The gravitational force provides the centripetal force, you don't equate the two.
    Yeah I guess the phrasing isn't the best tbh, but as you say since the gravitational force is the centripetal force that is essentially the method

ReputationRep:
    Name:  gd.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  171.6 KB

hope this helps.
    its all I could remember from A level physics since starting my degree.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot guys I am pretty comfortable with the idea that when a object in circular orbit that the centripetal force is the resultant force. I am just not comfortable with the way the questions are worded or the idea of proportionality. Especially when they give me a quest like t1/r1 = t2/r2 work out blah blah something like that

ReputationRep:
    Probably just need to practice... they do seem to love ratio/proportionality questions in astronomy papers.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.