The Student Room Group

How do math courses work?

So there are many subtopics in mathematics as you all know, but how do you pick which ones to learn about in your course and how many will you be learning a year?

I'd love to study

Game Theory
Combinatorics
Probabilities
Stats
Discrete math

And maybe a few others

Also how many hours a week does your studying/lectures and everything else surrounding your undergrad math degree consume, I want to find out how much time I have to do other things...?
Reply 1
Original post by YourName___
So there are many subtopics in mathematics as you all know, but how do you pick which ones to learn about in your course and how many will you be learning a year?

Depends utterly on the university you go to. The usual structure is that you have very little choice of courses in your first year, considerably more in your second and you're almost completely free in your third and have a huge variety to pick from.
Reply 2

I'd love to study

Game Theory
Combinatorics
Probabilities
Stats
Discrete math

And maybe a few others

Also how many hours a week does your studying/lectures and everything else surrounding your undergrad math degree consume, I want to find out how much time I have to do other things...?

most courses follow a core syllabus of topics and usually the third year is options such as these

I'd love to study

Game Theory
Combinatorics
Probabilities
Stats
Discrete math

And maybe a few others

If you look up the uni and its modules you may be able to find out the structure or even the exact modules eg this page for Bath.

At my uni the contact hours for each semester have varied from 16 to 25 hours per week (~20 in the first year for each semester, then 25 for second year semester one and now 16 for semester 2) so it is pretty demanding but you can still make free time.

Quick Reply

Latest