Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I achieved an A in SQA Higher maths last year, but chose not to study advanced higher maths. I would like to study computing science at University and am currently choosing between St Andrews and Edinburgh but am undecided (I have received an unconditional from both). Edinburgh say that they "strongly recommend" that I study Advanced Higher maths but St Andrews makes no mention of it. Obviously I've been accepted now, so that's not the worry. I'm just worried that I would struggle to keep up with the maths part of the course if I missed out on Advanced Higher. I've also not touched Higher maths in a year which could be a slight concern, but I imagine I could refresh my memory without TOO much trouble.

I'm also studying Advanced Higher Physics, which of course involves some maths too, just not to the same level of difficulty.

I've heard that a large portion of first year maths in university is just repetition of AH. Is this true?

I'm really regretting my decision to not study AH maths this year. Am I getting worried over nothing or have I made a mistake? Anybody got opinions to share?

(Original post by Lizard101010)
    I achieved an A in SQA Higher maths last year, but chose not to study advanced higher maths. I would like to study computing science at University and am currently choosing between St Andrews and Edinburgh but am undecided (I have received an unconditional from both). Edinburgh say that they "strongly recommend" that I study Advanced Higher maths but St Andrews makes no mention of it. Obviously I've been accepted now, so that's not the worry. I'm just worried that I would struggle to keep up with the maths part of the course if I missed out on Advanced Higher. I've also not touched Higher maths in a year which could be a slight concern, but I imagine I could refresh my memory without TOO much trouble.

I'm also studying Advanced Higher Physics, which of course involves some maths too, just not to the same level of difficulty.

I've heard that a large portion of first year maths in university is just repetition of AH. Is this true?

I'm really regretting my decision to not study AH maths this year. Am I getting worried over nothing or have I made a mistake? Anybody got opinions to share?
    Hey, I applied to the exact same course and university's as you. I myself have taken adv maths this year. Yes, next year you will take compulsory algebra and calculus modules regardless of which uni you choose. They assume that you know everything up to higher maths level so you'll just be learning what I've already learned this year. So nothing to be worried about, you'll just need to do a bit more work. I've firmed Edinburgh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the input! I talked to my brother about it a little bit (he studies maths) and he said the same thing. I'm studying AH Computing Science so the programming part of the course will probably be easier (at least the earlier stages). That might balance out the extra maths difficulty a little. I'll just have to make sure I refresh my memory of higher maths over the summer, as it's a little hazy. I'm sure that won't be too hard though.

And congrats on the placement!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Many of our Scottish students do not have Advanced Higher Mathematics, so I would not worry too much about this. You can take first-year modules in Mathematics which will help.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.