Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Compound A undergoes a first order chemical reaction according to the equation
    ln([At]/[Ao]) = -kt
    After 145 s, 41.2% of A has been consumed.
    Determine the rate constant k.

ln(41.2/100) = -k (145)

-0.887 = -k (145)

-0.887/145 = -k

6.115x10^-3 = k

Calculate the overall time needed for the 70% of A to be consumed.
    ln(70/100) = (-6.115x10^-3)t
    t = 58.33

I thought i was doing the first part right but then the second part doesnt make sense. Can anyone help with this question please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elef95)
    Compound A undergoes a first order chemical reaction according to the equation
    ln([At]/[Ao]) = -kt
    After 145 s, 41.2% of A has been consumed.
    Determine the rate constant k.

ln(41.2/100) = -k (145)

-0.887 = -k (145)

-0.887/145 = -k

6.115x10^-3 = k

Calculate the overall time needed for the 70% of A to be consumed.
    ln(70/100) = (-6.115x10^-3)t
    t = 58.33

I thought i was doing the first part right but then the second part doesnt make sense. Can anyone help with this question please?
    The mistake you've made here is subtle but makes a big difference to the outcome. Note the A(t) is the amount of A that is remaining at time t, not the amount that was consumed. Hence if 41.2% was consumed after 145s then 58.8% is remaining.

So your methodology is correct, you've simply used the wrong values for A(t).

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phyzard)
    The mistake you've made here is subtle but makes a big difference to the outcome. Note the A(t) is the amount of A that is remaining at time t, not the amount that was consumed. Hence if 41.2% was consumed after 145s then 58.8% is remaining.

So your methodology is correct, you've simply used the wrong values for A(t).

Hope this helps
    Thank you!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.