Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello people, I have joined this forum due to a desperate attempt to get myself out of this dark situation I am in.

I am far behind on my dissertation due to changing my idea and being indecisive as well as my supervisor confusing me more and leaving me like a rabbit in the headlights..

Dissertation title: "The ways in which Media sensationalism effects Terrorism"

Ok so, due to tensions in todays society with ISIS, the media feel a constant need to report and cover the grittiest news reports in a bias - over hyped - fashion which in turn ultimately 'fuels' terrorism to a certain extent. This is the argument I wish to portray throughout.

My supervisor told me my title is yet too broad, yet wouldn't help me narrow it down. He also mentioned I needkey media theories & media theorists which can relate into this. I have bad anxiety and tend to be very forgetful which in turn has lead to me not remembering anything I have basically learnt the past two years!

If any knowledgeable students surrounding this topic area could help me in the slightest and give me some advice. ideas to look into etc you would literally be mentioned in my dissertation acknowledgements lol.

Thanks for reading guys, I hope you can help me!

ReputationRep:
    Well can't help with the dissertation but step number one would be to make your essay title actually correct.......................

Affects* is the verb you want, effects isn't a verb. Come on.

ReputationRep:
    When's you deadline?

I've managed to surprise myself and pull ridiculous marks out of my ass before, you can do it too. Wrote a 6000 word essay in 7 days, got a high 2:1. Bet you can do it too. You just need to be scared of failing, disappointing your personal tutor and your parents and have a lot of tesco meal deals/takeaway and coffee and live in the computer cluster.

Alright so, he mentioned narrow the topic down, I would suggest picking a particular terrorist attack like either 9/11, london bombings, boston marathon or Breivik. He's true, you can't possibly talk about it in general in 10-12 thousand words, to do that you would have to write an entire book.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a bad memory, shouldn't you have notes anyway ? There's no way most people could remember their entire course, even with good memory. Textbooks and research as well, surely that's half the idea, you research and you find these ideas? That's what I do and I'm averaging firsts this year.

I have some knowledge of theorists, but what I do have from my criminology essay I did on media were the 'classic' theories on 'Newsworthiness' and deviancy amplification (Jock Young); Moral Panics (Cohen); manufacture of news (Cohen and Young); “the professional news imperatives of journalism” (Chibnall); and marxist theory on the social crisis and 'false enemy' (Hall et al)
    There's also the entire 'fear of crime' debate, moral panics etc.
    That's just some pickings from my notes for example, terrorism happened to be one of the examples I used in my essay too.

I always find, after reading copious amounts, it all falls together rather easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FeenRoid)
    Hello people, I have joined this forum due to a desperate attempt to get myself out of this dark situation I am in.

I am far behind on my dissertation due to changing my idea and being indecisive as well as my supervisor confusing me more and leaving me like a rabbit in the headlights..

Dissertation title: "The ways in which Media sensationalism effects Terrorism"

Ok so, due to tensions in todays society with ISIS, the media feel a constant need to report and cover the grittiest news reports in a bias - over hyped - fashion which in turn ultimately 'fuels' terrorism to a certain extent. This is the argument I wish to portray throughout.

My supervisor told me my title is yet too broad, yet wouldn't help me narrow it down. He also mentioned I needkey media theories & media theorists which can relate into this. I have bad anxiety and tend to be very forgetful which in turn has lead to me not remembering anything I have basically learnt the past two years!

If any knowledgeable students surrounding this topic area could help me in the slightest and give me some advice. ideas to look into etc you would literally be mentioned in my dissertation acknowledgements lol.

Thanks for reading guys, I hope you can help me!
    You don't need to be able to remember everything you've learned, just do a search on your uni library search or via google scholar for 'media theorists' and hey presto you'll get stuff to look up

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.