Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys

I applied for ACCS Acute medicine/CMT and ACCS/Core anaesthetics training this year during my F2 year. I applied for London deanery for both but was unsuccessful in attaining a post. After talking to my friends who applied to the less competitive deaneries, they had the same scores as me and got their top 10 choice for jobs.

For both deaneries I have been deemed appointable but didn't rank high enough for jobs in London but I'm not too far out ranking wise. I've been told now that I have to wait to see if anyone rejects jobs and if that doesn't happen then I get pooled for national clearing.

Has anyone else been in this position in the past? And received an offer?

Any advice or personal experiences would be helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -steph-)
    Hi Guys

I applied for ACCS Acute medicine/CMT and ACCS/Core anaesthetics training this year during my F2 year. I applied for London deanery for both but was unsuccessful in attaining a post. After talking to my friends who applied to the less competitive deaneries, they had the same scores as me and got their top 10 choice for jobs.

For both deaneries I have been deemed appointable but didn't rank high enough for jobs in London but I'm not too far out ranking wise. I've been told now that I have to wait to see if anyone rejects jobs and if that doesn't happen then I get pooled for national clearing.

Has anyone else been in this position in the past? And received an offer?

Any advice or personal experiences would be helpful.
    I was in the same position first time I applied for anaesthetics (Severn deanery - appointable but not ranked high enough, would have been offered a job if I'd put a different deanery first etc). I went through clearing and was offered a job in Wales around May time. I'd already accepted a cmt round 2 job though so couldn't take up the anaesthetics offer and eventually got in when I reapplied through round 3 18 months later. I was ranked ~115/160 for national clearing and there were ~40 jobs so it took a while for people to reject the job that I eventually was offered

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    I was in the same position first time I applied for anaesthetics (Severn deanery - appointable but not ranked high enough, would have been offered a job if I'd put a different deanery first etc). I went through clearing and was offered a job in Wales around May time. I'd already accepted a cmt round 2 job though so couldn't take up the anaesthetics offer and eventually got in when I reapplied through round 3 18 months later. I was ranked ~115/160 for national clearing and there were ~40 jobs so it took a while for people to reject the job that I eventually was offered
    Ok that gives me some hope thank you. I got a CMT london offer but rejected it as it wasn't a job that I wanted. I have managed to find a few 6 month ITU clinical fellow jobs which I am awaiting interviews.

If I don't get into clearing for anaesthetics then I will do my clinical fellow job for 6 months and reapply for Feb 2017.

My score was 142/200 is that generally high enough to get in via clearing. I appreciate that it depends on the group of people applying.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ok that gives me some hope thank you. I got a CMT london offer but rejected it as it wasn't a job that I wanted. I have managed to find a few 6 month ITU clinical fellow jobs which I am awaiting interviews.

If I don't get into clearing for anaesthetics then I will do my clinical fellow job for 6 months and reapply for Feb 2017.

My score was 142/200 is that generally high enough to get in via clearing. I appreciate that it depends on the group of people applying.

Thanks
    I would have thought that score would be enough but as you say it's difficult to know!

I enjoyed applying through February entry so much more! (6 interviewed for 5 jobs... Ranked first so got my first choice!)

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought that score would be enough but as you say it's difficult to know!

I enjoyed applying through February entry so much more! (6 interviewed for 5 jobs... Ranked first so got my first choice!)
    May I ask which deanery did you apply to for Feb? I was thinking about either West Midlands/ Kent and Sussex/ Wessex.

ReputationRep:
    May I ask which deanery did you apply to for Feb? I was thinking about either West Midlands/ Kent and Sussex/ Wessex.
    Wales

ReputationRep:
    Wales
    Thanks for your advice.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.