Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    People have told me that work experience is a must for medicine but no-one has ever told me how much to do.

So far I have done a week of work shadowing at a hospital and I volunteer at a hospice. I have also attended a one day medicine masterclass.

Is this enough?? I don't want to jeopardise my chances of doing medicine by not having enough work experience but it's also really hard to find. Thanks for the advice ))

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandasandpens)
    People have told me that work experience is a must for medicine but no-one has ever told me how much to do.

So far I have done a week of work shadowing at a hospital and I volunteer at a hospice. I have also attended a one day medicine masterclass.

Is this enough?? I don't want to jeopardise my chances of doing medicine by not having enough work experience but it's also really hard to find. Thanks for the advice ))
    Is the hospice volunteering an ongoing thing?

The whole work experience thing for med's a bit up in the air - at college we were told to have about 6 weeks' worth, but at open days and on uni websites most places have said something along the lines of 'we appreciate that hospital/relevant work experience can be difficult to find, so don't worry if you don't have much'.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm guessing this is to level the playing field - people in London are more likely to have access to a great deal of flashy work experience whereas if you're stuck out in the arse end of nowhere with the nearest hospital being 30 miles away you're a bit stuck.
    I'd say you have a good amount of experience already, but I would advise to see what you can do in the summer holidays (if there is anything available), and to stick with the hospice for as long as you can. (EDIT: Don't go out of your way looking for W/E during term time, focus on your grades first )
    Ultimately, it's not the actual experience the unis will be looking for, but how you talk about what you learned from it in your PS - this will probably take up the majority of the actual PS when you write it. There are some good examples online (I used this site to help with mine) - obviously don't copy anything, but they're good to look at if you're a little stuck on structuring/how to phrase things.

Sorry for the essay, but hopefully this helps you somewhat

ReputationRep:

I think that would be enough. It is more about how you reflect on things.

ReputationRep:
    how have you guys managed to get this experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by summer177)
    The NHS Jobs website is good for seeing if there are any voluntary positions open near you (it's got a pretty good search function), which you can then apply for through the website. Similarly a lot of charities/hospices/care homes or similar will have a page on their website dedicated to those interested in volunteering (or even getting paid employment, but I think this is slightly more complicated). Otherwise, it's a case of emailing/calling around - if you've got contacts, by all means use them.
    Ask your college as well - mine had a link with the local hospital which allowed 2 students at a time to go on a week of work experience round all the different departments. Even if they don't have a system like that in place, they could still give you advice or help you find placements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightwoXd)
    Is the hospice volunteering an ongoing thing?

The whole work experience thing for med's a bit up in the air - at college we were told to have about 6 weeks' worth, but at open days and on uni websites most places have said something along the lines of 'we appreciate that hospital/relevant work experience can be difficult to find, so don't worry if you don't have much'.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm guessing this is to level the playing field - people in London are more likely to have access to a great deal of flashy work experience whereas if you're stuck out in the arse end of nowhere with the nearest hospital being 30 miles away you're a bit stuck.
    I'd say you have a good amount of experience already, but I would advise to see what you can do in the summer holidays (if there is anything available), and to stick with the hospice for as long as you can. (EDIT: Don't go out of your way looking for W/E during term time, focus on your grades first )
    Ultimately, it's not the actual experience the unis will be looking for, but how you talk about what you learned from it in your PS - this will probably take up the majority of the actual PS when you write it. There are some good examples online (I used this site to help with mine) - obviously don't copy anything, but they're good to look at if you're a little stuck on structuring/how to phrase things.

Sorry for the essay, but hopefully this helps you somewhat
    Yes the hospice is an ongoing thing and im planning to do it for about 6 months.
    Also thank you so much for your advice!! Its really helped me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _minasan)
    Definitely more about how you reflect on your experiences, I have an offer for medicine and I only have 4 days of actual shadowing work experience but I learnt a lot was able to write quite a lot about it (I also volunteered at a hospital and at a charity for children with disabilities)

I think what you have is enough, maybe see if there are any volunteering opportunities in the summer you can do
    Ok, cool, thanks!! What university did you get an offer from?? Congrats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by summer177)

I emailed all the hospitals near me as they usually have a work experience email for you to contact or you can call them up.

ReputationRep:
    Yes the hospice is an ongoing thing and im planning to do it for about 6 months.
    Also thank you so much for your advice!! Its really helped me
    Good plan - it'll give you a fair bit to talk about later on. And no worries!! Just glad I could help - good luck with everything

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.