Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So been thinking a lot about how I’m gonna train and eat after wedding and when starting work, so thought I’d make a post going over it in detail. Feel free to tl;dr it, or to dip in and give tips/criticism wherever you think. I’ll be fine if no-one responds at all tho

Spoiler:
    Show

Diet
    • Gonna put on some weight, but try and keep it at a sensible pace so I don’t get fat and can stay in that surplus longer.
    • Will probably start around 2000-2200kcal and see how that affects my weight and add a few hundred every week or so until I’m in the right place. I know that sounds very little but for the past 2 weeks I’ve been cutting weight fairly slow even on 1500 so we’ll see. It’ll quickly rectify itself if it’s way under.
    • When I go over or under by a few hundred calories I’ll always make it up by eating more or less the following day to keep everything in check.
    • I’ll measure my bf% using navy method every week, as I have been anyway. Realistically probably don’t wanna get above 18%, maybe 20% absolute max – but hopefully that’ll be a long way off as I’m just over 13 now. Will see how much damage I do during all-inclusive honeymoon.

Routine/programming
    • I want to keep in some of the volume I’ve been doing recently because I have definitely made some small gains this way…
    • …but I also wanna stick back in some lower rep work and try to increase my numbers a bit more.
    • So overall plan will be to train three times per week…
    • Monday and Friday mostly triples and sets of 5s on big 4 with some assistance
    • Wednesday mostly higher volume
    • So, routine with explanation below. Very tentative and I’ll probably switch it up a bit depending on how things go.

First session back in gym
    • Test 1RMs for squat, TnG bench, deadlift and press.
    • Will either just ramp up the singles ‘til I fail or until I know I’ll fail next set, or aim for a double at slightly below a rough estimate for 1RM – if I get it, use Epley formula to estimate 1RM; if I only get a single, use that weight for 1RM.
    • Use these 1RMs to estimate 3 or 5RMs, then take 90% of those for starting weight next session.

Monday/Friday session

TnG bench press 3x5
    • Add weight when I make 3x5 across, the amount to add depending on how easy I find the sets.
    • If I miss reps, use extra sets to make them up.
    • Up the sets to 4, 5 or 6 if/when progress stalls or I don’t think volume/stimulus is enough.
    • Switch TnG for paused if/when progress keeps stalling.

Dead stop / paused press 2x5
    • As above.
    • Will up the sets if necessary or switch out for TnG

Squat 2x5
    • As above, but will switch between 3s and 5s to maintain progress.
    • Not squatting first because I know I need to be very warm and fully stretched to ensure good form – this won’t happen unless I waste loads of preworkout time I don’t have or use the time between bench/press sets to stretch etc.

Deadlift 1x5
    • As above, switching between 3s and 5s.
    • Would deadlift before anything else and then break up lower body with bench and press between, but I need to get in the rack as soon as gym opens and stay there until I’m done with it

Pendlay row 4x8-10
    • Will use same set/rep/progression scheme I am now – do 4x8 at a weight, then 4x9, then 4x10, then 4x8 at heavier weight etc.
    • Will use extra sets to make up missed reps.
    • Will switch out for Rippetoe-style rows if stalling/struggling

Biceps supersetted with side delts
    • 3-5 sets of 8-15 reps
    • Same progressions as now, using extra sets to make up reps.

Rear delts supersetted with Abs
    • Same as biceps/side delts

Wednesday session

Pull up 2x5
    • Add weight when I make 2x5 across, the amount to add depending on how easy I find the sets but probably fairly conservative.
    • If I miss reps, use extra sets to make them up.
    • Switch for chin ups or triples if/when progress stalls
    • Would seem more consistent to do these on my ‘heavy’ days, but (a) I prefer rows so of the 2 would like to row more often and (b) it probably does make sense to spread the heavy work out a little bit.
    • Starting with these because I’ll do them at home before heading to the gym.

Paused bench press 4x8-10
    • Will use same set/rep/progression scheme as for rows – 4x8 at one weight, then 4x9, then 4x10, then 4x8 at heavier weight etc.
    • Will use extra sets to make up missed reps.
    • Will switch with TnG bench if struggling there

Incline bench press 4x8-10
    • As above

Romanian deadlift 3x8-10
    • As above but 3 sets rather than 4.
    • Will use straps bc I’m doing heavy deadlifts twice per week anyway, and I always hook my pulls so grip strength isn’t really an issue.

Klokov press
    • 3-5 sets of 8-15 reps
    • Doing these just bc I’ve never known an exercise to give such fire in side delts

Triceps supersetted with side delts
    • As above.

Rear delts supersetted with abs
    • As above.

Tl;dr program:-

AxBxAxx

A
    Heavy big 4
    Rows for reps
    Bis, shoulders and abs

B
    Heavy pull ups
    Paused and incline bench for reps
    RDLs for reps
    Tris, shoulders and abs
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    That A session is horrific. If you're doing A B, doing an upper lower might be wiser or push, pull

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    That A session is horrific. If you're doing A B, doing an upper lower might be wiser or push, pull

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I think it's gonna be fine at first but when the weights get heavier after a couple of weeks I may have to jig things round depending on how it goes. As per the other thread I just created (I havent read your reply yet btw), I don't find benching/pressing too tiring and am only starting with 5 sets combined, so the main thing will be the squats and deads - but my squat is still piss weak for now
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Like the plan son.
    13% is low enough. 1/2 lb a week.

Second what Cucumber said though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unistudent77)
    Like the plan son.
    13% is low enough. 1/2 lb a week.

Second what Cucumber said though
    thx homie

Bah, squat bench dead in one session is completely standard, often with more volume. Sticking 2 sets of presses and some bb work on the end shouldnt wreck me...

....rite? tell me its gona b ok

pls

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It's gonna be ok bby. Just make sure you take those Jason Genova 'skittles' and your tropicana.
    Then you can do 'whatever it takes' according to the best natural bodybuilder Rich Piana.

I'll leave you with an inspiring quote:
    'We don't care about dying, we're freaks!' Said the theologian Jason Genova.

In all seriousness, time to make some sickening gainz bro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    thx homie

Bah, squat bench dead in one session is completely standard, often with more volume. Sticking 2 sets of presses and some bb work on the end shouldnt wreck me...

....rite? tell me its gona b ok

pls

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you aren't squatting both sessions I'd split your heavy squat and heavy deadlifts, so do the Romanian high rep work after your heavy squats. I think you have too much push volume too, more than your pulls which isn't good. Maybe throw in some chin ups and dumbell rows if you want. Or remove the dead stop/spoto press from workout A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    If you aren't squatting both sessions I'd split your heavy squat and heavy deadlifts, so do the Romanian high rep work after your heavy squats. I think you have too much push volume too, more than your pulls which isn't good. Maybe throw in some chin ups and dumbell rows if you want. Or remove the dead stop/spoto press from workout A.
    Yeah as above, I'm confident I'll be fine with the squats and deads at first, and I want to make sure I'm doing both twice per week. When the deads get heavier it'll get trickier though, so perhaps I'll switch the heavy deads on A with the RDLs so I'm doing the lighter stuff twice and the heavy work once.

Re pullingushing, I'm not sure. Deffo wanna keep those presses in there and I wouldn't be totally against more rows on B, but I'm not sure its necessary. I agree I've got slightly more work on upper body pushes than pulls, but part of that is precisely because my pressing is so weak - I don't think im likely to be in a situation where my front delts are overdeveloped compared to my rears, especially with the rear raises every session plus the isometric work from all the dead variations!

Cheers for advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Last unmarried session

FitNotes Workout - Friday 26th August 2016

** Dead Stop Overhead Press **
    - 22.5 kgs x 10 reps
    - 35.0 kgs x 10 reps
    - 35.0 kgs x 10 reps
    - 35.0 kgs x 10 reps
    - 35.0 kgs x 8 reps
    - 35.0 kgs x 7 reps

** Flat Barbell Bench Press **
    - 37.5 kgs x 7 reps
    - 50.0 kgs x 9 reps
    - 50.0 kgs x 9 reps
    - 50.0 kgs x 9 reps
    - 50.0 kgs x 9 reps

** Underhand Barbell Row **
    - 22.5 kgs x 12 reps
    - 42.5 kgs x 6 reps
    - 55.0 kgs x 8 reps
    - 55.0 kgs x 8 reps
    - 55.0 kgs x 8 reps
    - 55.0 kgs x 8 reps

** EZ-Bar Skullcrusher **
    - 25.0 kgs x 11 reps
    - 25.0 kgs x 11 reps
    - 25.0 kgs x 11 reps
    - 25.0 kgs x 11 reps
    - 25.0 kgs x 11 reps

** Barbell Curl **
    - 18.0 kgs x 12 reps
    - 18.0 kgs x 12 reps
    - 18.0 kgs x 12 reps
    - 18.0 kgs x 12 reps
    - 18.0 kgs x 12 reps

** Lateral Dumbbell Raise **
    - 4.0 kgs x 11 reps
    - 4.0 kgs x 11 reps
    - 4.0 kgs x 11 reps

** Rear Delt Dumbbell Raise **
    - 2.5 kgs x 11 reps
    - 2.5 kgs x 11 reps
    - 2.5 kgs x 11 reps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree that 'heavy' big four on one day has the potential to be tough, sometimes twice a week. I guess that 'heavy' doesn't mean that all need to be insane intensities every session.

ReputationRep:
    Will be updating this with what I eat on hmoon - trying not to go too crazy with the all inclusive...

Yesterday's breakfast:
    1/2 bag minstrels (plane)

Lunch:
    Undressed salad
    2-3 chicken breast fillets
    1 tuna steak
    2 mozzarella sticks
    Small amount of pasta + beef ragu

Dinner:
    Undressed salad
    Lots of pork, lamb
    1 fish steak (benigo or something??)
    3 scoops of ice cream
    Small amount of mousse

Today's breakfast:
    5 rindless rashers of bacon
    1 pork sausage
    1 small chicken sausage
    4 fried egg whites
    Baked beans
    Lots of watermelon
    1 banana
    Baby croissant

Drink:
    Bailey's, Kahlúa and milk

Lunch
    Undressed salad
    2 tuna steaks
    Small slice of chocolate and banana pizza

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday dinner:
    Undressed salad
    Mozzarella and tomato salad

2 small glasses red wine

Tuna steak
    Schwein schnitzel
    2-3 pork medallions
    1 small slice pizza
    Lettuce + cucumber

2 scoops ice cream

Drinks:
    2 x Bailey's double

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Where are you having your honeymoon?

Is there a gym?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Bro it's your honeymoon. Eat lots, chill for days. Now is not the time to worry about your weight. Have fun, it's your honeymoon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I envy the amount of fish steak you can afford to eat

ReputationRep:
    If I eat all I want I could legitimately put on like 15lb lmao. Can't normally eat fish steak but all inclusive bby - having at least one whenever possible

Anyway ceebs to log food, just trying to fill up on veg and meat and not worry too much

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We did do aqua zumba yesterday and 'aqua gym' today lel

Also breaststroke widths (like 12-15m)

My swimming is terrible

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Implication)
    If I eat all I want I could legitimately put on like 15lb lmao. Can't normally eat fish steak but all inclusive bby - having at least one whenever possible

Anyway ceebs to log food, just trying to fill up on veg and meat and not worry too much

Posted from TSR Mobile
    15lbs OF GAINZ BRAH

ReputationRep:
    abs almost gone, good really as it's getting me to the 'dont really care' point. reading everyone's blogs making me miss gym, testing 1RMs on mon/weds before work. 3 days of being a fatty first tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Implication;[url="tel:67434740")
    67434740[/url]]abs almost gone, good really as it's getting me to the 'dont really care' point. reading everyone's blogs making me miss gym, testing 1RMs on mon/weds before work. 3 days of being a fatty first tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just enjoy it bro.
    If 1 week of mildly over-eating gets rid of your 'abs' then you never really had abs

What is the plan when you return?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.