Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Lifting weights watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    **** me, you were pushing 60kg doing flat barbell bench press when you first started and I can only just about push 35kg.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Implication;[url="tel:67059528")
    67059528[/url]]Thanks

Aim for 4 sets of 8-10 reps (i.e. one sesh I'll do 4x8, if I get it then 4x9 next time, then 4x10, then 4x8 again at higher weight etc.). If I don't get the reps I want, I'll do as many more sets as needed to get at least that volume.

Why d'you think it's excessive?

I'm actually making more progress now than I have for a while, but in different rep ranges and at a pretty slow pace
    Ahhhh ok.

Sounds good! Just squeeze those reps out.

Well people vary between 3-5 sets typically.
    I basically was wondering what your schedule was but that's fine what you've said

As long as you are basically (near to) at failure then s'all good.

18kg for barbell curls is light bro. Personally i'd do less than 5 sets and up the weight a bit. Make sure you get that squeeze at the top.

'Excessive' was bad word choice, i ain't hating. Just wondered...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritSharD)
    **** me, you were pushing 60kg doing flat barbell bench press when you first started and I can only just about push 35kg.
    haha don't worry dude, the first time i went to the gym i struggled with 30kg starting strength really does vary a hell of a lot though, i always heard stories of people who started off ridiculously strong and thought they were bull, but then my real life friend starting gymming... first time he ever deadlifted he pulled 150kg for reps, and within 3 weeks of starting he benched 100kg. meanwhile i first stepped in the gym 4 years ago and my best bench is still 77.5kg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unistudent77)
    Ahhhh ok.

Sounds good! Just squeeze those reps out.

Well people vary between 3-5 sets typically.
    I basically was wondering what your schedule was but that's fine what you've said

As long as you are basically (near to) at failure then s'all good.

18kg for barbell curls is light bro. Personally i'd do less than 5 sets and up the weight a bit. Make sure you get that squeeze at the top.

'Excessive' was bad word choice, i ain't hating. Just wondered...
    hmm i think 3-5 sets is probably very atypical for those who are actually into bodybuilding and putting on mass. just look on some threads on bb.com etc. asking about isolation set/rep schemes or curls in particular... yeah there's some dudes saying 'dw about it, do a couple of sets if any and focus on compounds', but for the most part that's not the response you get.

tbh i wouldn't be able to up the weight that much just by dropping off a couple of sets, 18kg wasn't too tough though - only just started straight bar curls again so should be able to up the weight/reps every session for a while. either way, hopefully the chins, rows etc. will help with general strengthening arms and curls give that extra pump for my puny <14" arms. need dat dere hypertrophy stimulus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritSharD)
    I remember the 20kg(45lb) barbell crushed me when I first started. :laugh:

We all gotta start somewhere.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Implication;[url="tel:67073208")
    67073208[/url]]hmm i think 3-5 sets is probably very atypical for those who are actually into bodybuilding and putting on mass. just look on some threads on bb.com etc. asking about isolation set/rep schemes or curls in particular... yeah there's some dudes saying 'dw about it, do a couple of sets if any and focus on compounds', but for the most part that's not the response you get.

tbh i wouldn't be able to up the weight that much just by dropping off a couple of sets, 18kg wasn't too tough though - only just started straight bar curls again so should be able to up the weight/reps every session for a while. either way, hopefully the chins, rows etc. will help with general strengthening arms and curls give that extra pump for my puny <14" arms. need dat dere hypertrophy stimulus

That's poor advice from whoever said do a couple sets but basically don't care about it.

Do compounds first, reverse pyramid in terms of weight is a good shout but try and get extra reps and track every exercise you do in order to make progress. (My opinion anyway)

Well fair enough, whatever suits you.

Yeah, i'm sure chins and Rows will help but make sure you do curls and some kind of tricep exercise.

Tbh, arms will grow if you grow.
    Same! Mine are very much sub 14" (cries)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    Seated DB press
    12kgx12,12,12,12
    Try for fewer reps of heavier weights. Better for building mass. Maybe try 17.5 - 5/5/5/5? Idk see how you cope, but from my research I'd recommend heavier sets over rep quantity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    I remember the 20kg(45lb) barbell crushed me when I first started. :laugh:

We all gotta start somewhere.
    we're all gonna make it bruh

ReputationRep:
    That's poor advice from whoever said do a couple sets but basically don't care about it.

Do compounds first, reverse pyramid in terms of weight is a good shout but try and get extra reps and track every exercise you do in order to make progress. (My opinion anyway)

Well fair enough, whatever suits you.

Yeah, i'm sure chins and Rows will help but make sure you do curls and some kind of tricep exercise.

Tbh, arms will grow if you grow.
    Same! Mine are very much sub 14" (cries)
    yeah tbh as long as i'm adding weight/reps to my compounds i won't worry too much about the specifics, just like to get those lagging muscles (bis, tris and side delts in particular) sore.
    inb4 whole body is lagging, ik

i had 16" arms when i was at my biggest and they deffo didn't look like fatceps... they still vanished when the weight did tho ;_;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs)
    Try for fewer reps of heavier weights. Better for building mass. Maybe try 17.5 - 5/5/5/5? Idk see how you cope, but from my research I'd recommend heavier sets over rep quantity
    yeaah dont worry dude i'll be back on the lower reps at some point, did them almost exclusively until this year. the literature does show more reps/volume=more mass tho. lots of people on the internet have this 'dude just squat, bench and do pull ups in sets of 5 and you'll be fkn jacked', but most of that seems to be from inexperienced dudes just parroting advice they've read on the internet from other inexperienced people. obvs you're not gonna be small if you can squat 405, bench 315 and do pull ups for reps with half your bw on the belt, but that may not be optimal. and higher rep/volume work can help bring up those numbers anyway
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Implication;[url="tel:67078260")
    67078260[/url]]yeah tbh as long as i'm adding weight/reps to my compounds i won't worry too much about the specifics, just like to get those lagging muscles (bis, tris and side delts in particular) sore.
    inb4 whole body is lagging, ik

i had 16" arms when i was at my biggest and they deffo didn't look like fatceps... they still vanished when the weight did tho ;_;
    Agreed.
    Just train them and you'll be fine.

Once you start bulking you'll be lifting heavier.
    All i meant was, if i (Was) lifting 45kg 3 x 8 (off top of my head) at your bw for bicep curls then you should be doing more than 18kg (i know you said you're just starting it again but you get me...)

Don't aim for failure but that last three reps should be hard. I do one bug breath per two reps until say 3/4 out when i'm struggling and go big breath per rep. That last rep is usually slow.

(Original post by Implication;[url="tel:67078340")
    67078340[/url]]yeaah dont worry dude i'll be back on the lower reps at some point, did them almost exclusively until this year. the literature does show more reps/volume=more mass tho. lots of people on the internet have this 'dude just squat, bench and do pull ups in sets of 5 and you'll be fkn jacked', but most of that seems to be from inexperienced dudes just parroting advice they've read on the internet from other inexperienced people. obvs you're not gonna be small if you can squat 405, bench 315 and do pull ups for reps with half your bw on the belt, but that may not be optimal. and higher rep/volume work can help bring up those numbers anyway
    I would disagree that you should go 4 x 5 on shoulder press.

3 x 8-12 is best for mass.

You can certainly up the weight as you hit 4 x 12. As long as you aren't below 7/8 decent reps then you're good.

What you're doing us fine just as soon as you hit 12 reps on most sets then up the weight by a tiny bit and go again.

Enjoy the wedding etc and rest of cut. Then it's bulk time bro.

How is the cut going?

ReputationRep:
    Agreed.
    Just train them and you'll be fine.

Once you start bulking you'll be lifting heavier.
    All i meant was, if i (Was) lifting 45kg 3 x 8 (off top of my head) at your bw for bicep curls then you should be doing more than 18kg (i know you said you're just starting it again but you get me...)

Don't aim for failure but that last three reps should be hard. I do one bug breath per two reps until say 3/4 out when i'm struggling and go big breath per rep. That last rep is usually slow.
    yeah i know my curls are weaker than most but realistically they're probably in proportion to my pressing haha. i'll legit be v impressed if you can curl 45kg 3x8 with less than 14" arms. that's a strong curl!

I would disagree that you should go 4 x 5 on shoulder press.

3 x 8-12 is best for mass.

You can certainly up the weight as you hit 4 x 12. As long as you aren't below 7/8 decent reps then you're good.

What you're doing us fine just as soon as you hit 12 reps on most sets then up the weight by a tiny bit and go again.

Enjoy the wedding etc and rest of cut. Then it's bulk time bro.

How is the cut going?
    5x8-12 is better if you can handle the volume

going good the last week or so except for stag night. sitting at 68.2kg as of yday

ReputationRep:
    Today's running: 2.26mi in 19.11
    Avg pace: 08.26/mi

nice short one
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Implication;[url="tel:67089812")
    67089812[/url]]yeah i know my curls are weaker than most but realistically they're probably in proportion to my pressing haha. i'll legit be v impressed if you can curl 45kg 3x8 with less than 14" arms. that's a strong curl!

5x8-12 is better if you can handle the volume

going good the last week or so except for stag night. sitting at 68.2kg as of yday
    Fair. I wasn't judging your lifts! The intention was to ensure you are trying to hit that max level lets say 5 x 10 and be squeezing 11, 4 x 10 then 11, 11, 3 x 10. Etc etc etc.

Well page 9 of my blog says 40kg for 3 x 11.

I know i got 3 x 12 at 40kg, i'm sure i went to 45 briefly before i broke. My right arm started to fail all the time and it was the bursitis starting to worsen.

Check my blog bro in the coming weeks and i'll see roughly where i'm at with them (will maybe be 10kg down i suspect)

Well i don'g have 4/5 hours to spend at the gym 4 times a week so nah, will pass on 5 sets

How was your stag night? What did you do? Better have been mental!

Similar weight to me i think. Gotta get on that gain train soon mate

ReputationRep:
    Fair. I wasn't judging your lifts! The intention was to ensure you are trying to hit that max level lets say 5 x 10 and be squeezing 11, 4 x 10 then 11, 11, 3 x 10. Etc etc etc.

Well page 9 of my blog says 40kg for 3 x 11.

I know i got 3 x 12 at 40kg, i'm sure i went to 45 briefly before i broke. My right arm started to fail all the time and it was the bursitis starting to worsen.

Check my blog bro in the coming weeks and i'll see roughly where i'm at with them (will maybe be 10kg down i suspect)

Well i don'g have 4/5 hours to spend at the gym 4 times a week so nah, will pass on 5 sets

How was your stag night? What did you do? Better have been mental!

Similar weight to me i think. Gotta get on that gain train soon mate
    yeah i don't mean to doubt you are/were that strong - i just don't think it's reasonable for me to be expect to curl a similar amount to you haha! looks like you were DB benching 36, DB pressing 20 and bb rowing like 75kg at the time so were definitely all round stronger than me. maybe your arms were more than 14" too

was excellent haha. standard stuff - go karting, grub, beer until vom and sleep. worst hangover i've had except for one time when i had food poisoning at the same time haha.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Implication;[url="tel:67093006")
    67093006[/url]]yeah i don't mean to doubt you are/were that strong - i just don't think it's reasonable for me to be expect to curl a similar amount to you haha! looks like you were DB benching 36, DB pressing 20 and bb rowing like 75kg at the time so were definitely all round stronger than me. maybe your arms were more than 14" too

was excellent haha. standard stuff - go karting, grub, beer until vom and sleep. worst hangover i've had except for one time when i had food poisoning at the same time haha.
    Never interpreted what you said in that way
    Yeah, i get you bro. You'll get to the 30s soon enough.

That makes me sad reading that haha but bulk starts tomorrow so my first aim is to get back to hitting all old lifts, then going way beyond.

No, don't think they were! About the 14" Maybe.

Sounds good man! Well... The start does, being sick and an unbelievable hangover isn't so fantastic.

That sounds horrible (the food poisoning and hangover)! I remember for my 'neknomination' i'd just turned 18 and downed a 35cl of vodka in a pint glass, topped up with 80% absinthe.
    Was a poor decision.

Was a two dayer, infact almost 3 days of hangover.

You're 23 so idk how an old man like yourself deals with a hangover

ReputationRep:
    FitNotes Workout - Monday 22nd August 2016

** Chin Up **
    - 68.6 kgs x 16 reps

** Flat TnG Barbell Bench Press **
    - 22.5 kgs x 15 reps
    - 40.0 kgs x 7 reps
    - 55.0 kgs x 8 reps
    - 55.0 kgs x 8 reps
    - 55.0 kgs x 8 reps
    - 55.0 kgs x 8 reps

** Incline Barbell Bench Press **
    - 22.5 kgs x 8 reps
    - 47.5 kgs x 9 reps
    - 47.5 kgs x 9 reps
    - 47.5 kgs x 9 reps
    - 47.5 kgs x 9 reps

** Underhand Barbell Row **
    - 22.5 kgs x 8 reps
    - 37.5 kgs x 7 reps
    - 52.5 kgs x 10 reps
    - 52.5 kgs x 10 reps
    - 52.5 kgs x 10 reps
    - 52.5 kgs x 10 reps

** EZ-Bar Skullcrusher **
    - 25.0 kgs x 10 reps
    - 25.0 kgs x 10 reps
    - 25.0 kgs x 10 reps
    - 25.0 kgs x 10 reps
    - 25.0 kgs x 10 reps

** Barbell Curl **
    - 18.0 kgs x 11 reps
    - 18.0 kgs x 11 reps
    - 18.0 kgs x 11 reps
    - 18.0 kgs x 11 reps
    - 18.0 kgs x 11 reps

** Lateral Dumbbell Raise **
    - 4.0 kgs x 10 reps
    - 4.0 kgs x 10 reps
    - 4.0 kgs x 10 reps

** Rear Delt Dumbbell Raise **
    - 2.5 kgs x 10 reps
    - 2.5 kgs x 10 reps
    - 2.5 kgs x 10 reps

** Bent-knee L-sit **
    - 00:12

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Never interpreted what you said in that way
    Yeah, i get you bro. You'll get to the 30s soon enough.

That makes me sad reading that haha but bulk starts tomorrow so my first aim is to get back to hitting all old lifts, then going way beyond.
    Let's do it brah

No, don't think they were! About the 14" Maybe.

Sounds good man! Well... The start does, being sick and an unbelievable hangover isn't so fantastic.

That sounds horrible (the food poisoning and hangover)! I remember for my 'neknomination' i'd just turned 18 and downed a 35cl of vodka in a pint glass, topped up with 80% absinthe.
    Was a poor decision.

Was a two dayer, infact almost 3 days of hangover.

You're 23 so idk how an old man like yourself deals with a hangover
    Christ that sounds awful, I've strawpedoed a couple of bottles of wine for scavenger hunts/challenges etc but I always employ the tactical chunder afterwards haha.

Yea can't do hangovers anymore. In first and second year I would have a pint or 2 of water and some toast/bread before sleep as the perfect hangover prevention... I can't find anything that works these days though ;_;

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    Yea can't do hangovers anymore. In first and second year I would have a pint or 2 of water and some toast/bread before sleep as the perfect hangover prevention... I can't find anything that works these days though ;_;

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At my age, the multi day hangovers creep in

ReputationRep:
    FitNotes Workout - Wednesday 24th August 2016

** Deficit Deadlift **
    - 53.0 kgs x 10 reps
    - 83.0 kgs x 7 reps
    - 103.0 kgs x 20 reps because #yolo #gotswag

** Barbell Front Squat **
    - 42.5 kgs x 3 reps

** Barbell Squat **
    - 42.5 kgs x 3 reps
    - 42.5 kgs x 5 reps
    - 42.5 kgs x 5 reps
    - 42.5 kgs x 5 reps
    - 62.5 kgs x 5 reps
    - 77.5 kgs x 3 reps
    - 77.5 kgs x 3 reps
    - 77.5 kgs x 3 reps

Super deep but also super hard all of a sudden. Tbh I might just go back to squatting how I used to when i was recovering from tendonitis. I've spent however long since then trying to stop my weight shifting forward at the bottom, but that never really bothered me and all I've managed to do to my squats since then is make it easier for me to hurt my back, hips and knees and harder to move the weight

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.