Turn on thread page Beta

AQA -bya8/w how was it for you? watch

ReputationRep:
    i thought it was really quite hard, dont think i did as well mod6

ReputationRep:
    Didn't think it was too bad. Essay Q was alrite, jus the first Q was extremely dodgy. Didn't use any Bio knowledge - just commonsense!!!

I did B as my essay, and i wrote a lot of good stuff

ReputationRep:
    That egg question was just plain weird :eek: It was such a bizarre question that it really threw me trying to understand what the questions were asking, but they were quite straightforward once I understood what the question was about. Though the one where you had to calculate the mass of the newborn chick was a bit odd - I just subtracted the shell weight from the weight of the egg when laid but I was a bit iffy about it because I swear they must have put those gaseous weights in there for a reason but I didn't do anything with them. Oh well - what's one mark?

The vampire bat question was quite a good one - though strange as it didn't seem to include any AS stuff, mainly A2 items. The essay options weren't too bad - I did the "differences between species" one and I managed to finish it, which was good, but I don't think I did superbly on it as I just focused entirely on speciation and evolution, and didn't mention anything about plants (the criminal sin of an AQA exam - d'oh!).

Oh well - no more Biology! Well, till I get to Uni that is Hopefully my BYA6 mark will make up for BYA8...

ReputationRep:
    I thought the structured questions were pretty straight forward. Another question about nitrogenous excretion! The essay was all a bit of a mess for me though. Chose the second one about how organisms in different species differ, was overwhelmed by the amount of material that could be included and wrote a scrappy unstructured essay. Hopefully a good perfomance in the first two questions will make up for it!

Answers I can remember (these could be wrong):
    Question 1
    mass of the chick on hatching was 39g

mass of egg for 10g bird was 2.15g

mass of egg for 10kg bird was 300g (ish I can't remember exactly)

Advantage of large egg for long incubation periods?
    More room for food store.

Respiratory quotient question. I got 0.75 and said the main food source was therefore lipid as it has RQ of 0.7

Diffusion question
    Pore length = length diffusion pathway. Longer pore, slower diffusion
    Pore diameter = surface area for diffusion. Larger diameter, faster diffusion

Why does the egg unavoidably lose water vapour?
    Concentration of water vapour higher in egg than surroundings. Water vapour diffuses from higher to lower concentration down concentration gradient by diffusion, passive process, unavoidable.

I'll have to think about the rest, do any of these answers look familiar?

ReputationRep:
    uhmmm.....i did the first esay q. i talked abt trophic levels and stuffs, dont think tha i covered enuf areas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JeremyG)
    Respiratory quotient question. I got 0.75 and said the main food source was therefore lipid as it has RQ of 0.7
    There was an RQ question?! Schizer... oh, was that the one where you had to state the substrate? Crap, I thought it was just glucose because CO2 and water were being given out, I didn't connect it with RQ at all - I knew those bloody carbon dioxide values were in there for a reason... *sob*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmazda86)
    There was an RQ question?! Schizer... oh, was that the one where you had to state the substrate? Crap, I thought it was just glucose because CO2 and water were being given out, I didn't connect it with RQ at all - I knew those bloody carbon dioxide values were in there for a reason... *sob*
    I could be wrong. I'm still thinking over the state of my random waffling essay.....................

ReputationRep:
    How did you end up with 0.75? I got 0.97.. And I said it was protein, but now I've realised it must have been carbohydrate (as main respiratory substrate) cos that 1.0 (isn't it?) and closer to 0.97

I ended up doing A for the essay question (energy transfer) but I think I mucked it up... I kept going on about relationships between organisms instead of energy transfer cos I had done a mock essay on relationships the night before.. so I think I'll lose marks for relevance. I probably should have done B in the end.. oh well can't do anything now

I only have one more exam, on Tuesday, Chemistry A2, then I'm done, yay!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=iisism]How did you end up with 0.75? I got 0.97.. And I said it was protein, but now I've realised it must have been carbohydrate (as main respiratory substrate) cos that 1.0 (isn't it?) and closer to 0.97

I got 0.75 from

Carbon dioxide produced = 4.5 litres
    Oxygen consumed = 6.0 litres

4.5/6.0 = 0.75.

I'm pretty good at not reading questions properly though. If there was an A level in not reading the questions properly, I'd get an A.

ReputationRep:

I got 0.75 from

Carbon dioxide produced = 4.5 litres
    Oxygen consumed = 6.0 litres

4.5/6.0 = 0.75.

I'm pretty good at not reading questions properly though. If there was an A level in not reading the questions properly, I'd get an A.
    Oh right.. I think I did 8.6/8.8 (used the mass amount).

Is it meant to be co2/o2? Because I tried that but it ended up being over 1 (8.8/8.6) so then I did o2/co2 and got 0.97. But I got a feeling that you're probably right, I think I used the wrong figures

Oh well, it was only worth a few marks, I should get at least 1 even if I get the wrong answer.

ReputationRep:
    b******** rq question i just put in
    c6h1206 + 6O2 -------> 6CO2 + 6H2o
    the values of co2 and o2 were similar 8 g each therefore i just put in the same ratio 6:6:6 therfore it must be respiring glucose
    1.6 g and 300g for egg size
    why adv for larger mass?
    i put : smaller SA:Vol ratio therefore less heat loss
    essay could have been worse. did much better than i thought i would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dodster)
    why adv for larger mass?
    That's a good point! I never even thought of that.. I can't remember what I put, something stupid no doubt :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I got 4.5 for the RQ question. Well strange. I said it was triglyceride that was being respired - as closer to 0.7. I had a feeling my working out was dodgy so I wrote out the equation in words as well, hopefully that'll get me at least one mark.

Did not like the egg questions at all. Thought a few of the bat questions were a gift, and I think I did average on the essay (species). Though I forgot what the opposite of heterotrophic was and put eutrophic!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fully)
    I got 4.5 for the RQ question. Well strange. I said it was triglyceride that was being respired - as closer to 0.7. I had a feeling my working out was dodgy so I wrote out the equation in words as well, hopefully that'll get me at least one mark.

Did not like the egg questions at all. Thought a few of the bat questions were a gift, and I think I did average on the essay (species). Though I forgot what the opposite of heterotrophic was and put eutrophic!!
    I think the RQ thingy always has to be below 1. I might be remembering something else though

Opposite of heterotrophic is autotrophic. Did you do the essay on energy transfer? If you did tell me what you wrote about cos I don't think I did enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dodster)
    b******** rq question i just put in
    c6h1206 + 6O2 -------> 6CO2 + 6H2o
    the values of co2 and o2 were similar 8 g each therefore i just put in the same ratio 6:6:6 therfore it must be respiring glucose
    1.6 g and 300g for egg size
    why adv for larger mass?
    essay could have been worse. did much better than i thought i would.
    Yeah, same as I did - still, at least there's a 33% chance of you being correct!

ReputationRep:
    i got .75 for the RQ and said it was a protein

ReputationRep:
    I hated the first two questions, they were just so random.
    The question on the chicks seemed to hardly use any biology at all.

I did the question on energy transfer. I was really lucky as it had been one that I had prepared in class. I wrote about energy transfers, digestion, photosynthesis, respiration and carbon and nitrogen cycles. I hope the essay makes up for the other questions!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't enjoy today's paper. I was put off by a lot of questions and had to think a lot for some of the questions. The egg question was not a good start. The bat question was pretty challenging. The essay questions were rather vague. I didn't like the first one at all so I did the species one, like almost everyone else in the exam room. I didn't do as well as I'd hoped, but I did well enough. Biology is the first subject I have got out of the way.

ReputationRep:
    what did u talk about in essay B?

I did:
    Plants - Xerophytes, Sorghum, Rice etc.
    Natural/directional selection causing change in species
    Endotherms/Ectotherms (different species i.e. lizard vs humans)
    How diving mammals can "hold breath" (i.e. seals) than non-diving mammals.

I just related everything to the environment and the reason for difference in species is to survive in these specific conditions

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=fully]I got 4.5 for the RQ question. QUOTE]

I mean 0.45!!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.