Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is this a normal 16 year old relationship with parents? watch

okay, I'm not a morning person so I find it difficult to wake up at 6AM in the morning, but my mum always screams into my ear and tells me to wake up so I can do my homework- eventhough my homework is actually done. If I fail to wake up with in 5 mins, she always moans to me that I'm such a failure and I can't do a single thing.

Then, when she asks me to help her with something and I do it wrong, she tells me: "oh you can't even do this!? you're so annoying. Go away now, your presence is irritating me". I guess that's my fault for not being able to meet her requirements, but I always feel like I just want to run out of the house whenever she says something like that. But, I have restrictions of not being allowed out unless I tell her where exactly (the address), when (what time I'm coming back), who (name and their parent's number) I'm going with. Because of this, I'm not really allowed out with my friends much.

If I get sick or get injured, my parents just think I'm being too weak and just trying to attract attention, eventhough I'm not and they tell me how useless I am.

If my mum really gets mad, she tells about the incident to my dad, and my dad gets annoyed for annoying my mum. Then he hits me with a bamboo cane until I give him a reasonable explanation of why I made my mum mad. If I don't give a proper explanation he kicks me and hits me with the cane constantly.

I feel really bad about myself sometimes. I think I'm whining too much but I don't want to stay in this kind of situation forever. I once thought about telling a counselor, but I don't want them to tell my parents and make my parents get more mad. I'm scared of what will happen after I go counselling on how my parents will react as I feel like they will hate me more if I tell a counsellor.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can stop this?

ReputationRep:
    That's not normal and it is definitely not okay, it sounds like your mum has some sort of mental issue like anxiety or something of that sort if she worries like that! It's not legal to hit a child ever!! You need to tell someone, it'll be okay I promise! I'm so sorry you're going through this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    If my mum really gets mad, she tells about the incident to my dad, and my dad gets annoyed for annoying my mum. Then he hits me with a bamboo cane until I give him a reasonable explanation of why I made my mum mad. If I don't give a proper explanation he kicks me and hits me with the cane constantly.
    This.
    You need to go get help, tell someone, your uncle/ teacher/ counsellor. Yes they will have a word with your parents and your parents might get pissed off but the beatings will stop and if they don't then there will be consequences. It's better than spending your childhood living through Hell. It's for the best, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    okay, I'm not a morning person so I find it difficult to wake up at 6AM in the morning, but my mum always screams into my ear and tells me to wake up so I can do my homework- eventhough my homework is actually done. If I fail to wake up with in 5 mins, she always moans to me that I'm such a failure and I can't do a single thing.

Then, when she asks me to help her with something and I do it wrong, she tells me: "oh you can't even do this!? you're so annoying. Go away now, your presence is irritating me". I guess that's my fault for not being able to meet her requirements, but I always feel like I just want to run out of the house whenever she says something like that. But, I have restrictions of not being allowed out unless I tell her where exactly (the address), when (what time I'm coming back), who (name and their parent's number) I'm going with. Because of this, I'm not really allowed out with my friends much.

If I get sick or get injured, my parents just think I'm being too weak and just trying to attract attention, eventhough I'm not and they tell me how useless I am.

I feel really bad about myself sometimes. I think I'm whining too much but I don't want to stay in this kind of situation forever. I once thought about telling a counselor, but I don't want them to tell my parents and make my parents get more mad. I'm scared of what will happen after I go counselling on how my parents will react as I feel like they will hate me more if I tell a counsellor.

This is physical abuse. You need to get help if this carries on/escalates.

ReputationRep:
    pls get help. This is not right. And I can only imagine what its like being suppressed and beaten. I know you will need to take up courage to speak out but its only going to help. I hope things get better for you x

ReputationRep:

Try talking to a PSHCE teacher, or booking yourself an appointment with a doctor to discuss getting counselling. Im pretty sure they need your consent to talk to your parents. You are also not obliged to talk about anything which you dont feel comfortable sharing.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.