The Student Room Group

I don't know what job I really want, any advice?

I like history (quite good at it) and Physics mainly (theoretical and space). I'm good at Spanish (half Cuban so I can speak pretty well), history, okay at Chemistry, good at Physics, quite good at Maths but terrible at English Literature (I'm okay at Language). Does anyone have any advice on how to find a job that I'd like or something similar?
Original post by AxSirlotl
I like history (quite good at it) and Physics mainly (theoretical and space). I'm good at Spanish (half Cuban so I can speak pretty well), history, okay at Chemistry, good at Physics, quite good at Maths but terrible at English Literature (I'm okay at Language). Does anyone have any advice on how to find a job that I'd like or something similar?

I'm in situtation where I got 3 likes. Maths teacher, business owner (making educational one that goes with maths teaching) and politics (after passionate background and succeeded) Try to combine them into a life plan like I am going to.
Lots of people are in the same situation as you at GCSE level. I wouldn't worry about deciding what you want to do in the future yet, but it's a good idea to think of an area that you are most interested in. That way, if you go on to Sixth Form you can pick relevant A levels accordingly whilst potentially enjoying them at the same time. Employers value experience a lot, so any job is good.
Reply 3

You DO NOT NEED to know what job to aim for at this stage of your life. What you should do is explore different fields and settle with the one you like, and during your degree start searching for possible jobs in that particular field.

Rather than focusing on what you're good at focus on what subject you like/love. Start looking at different degrees, note the ones that interest you and do more research on it (this can also include watching YouTube videos about it).
Reply 4
Original post by SubZero~
Lots of people are in the same situation as you at GCSE level. I wouldn't worry about deciding what you want to do in the future yet, but it's a good idea to think of an area that you are most interested in. That way, if you go on to Sixth Form you can pick relevant A levels accordingly whilst potentially enjoying them at the same time. Employers value experience a lot, so any job is good.

I'm doing my GCSEs in the summer and I want to get a clear job path so I can pick the right A levels. I'm scared of choosing the wrong A levels or Degree or whatever, then regretting it later because I don't like it or I want to do something else.
Reply 5
Original post by kkboyk
You DO NOT NEED to know what job to aim for at this stage of your life. What you should do is explore different fields and settle with the one you like, and during your degree start searching for possible jobs in that particular field.

Rather than focusing on what you're good at focus on what subject you like/love. Start looking at different degrees, note the ones that interest you and do more research on it (this can also include watching YouTube videos about it).

Thanks, I'm just a bit worried about which A levels to choose. At the moment I've expressed an interest in Mathematics, Physics, History and either Spanish, Chemistry or another subject. I want to choose the right A levels as I don't want to regret not choosing a different one. However I'm quite confident as these are the subjects that interest me more than any of the others.
I'm doing my GCSEs in the summer and I want to get a clear job path so I can pick the right A levels. I'm scared of choosing the wrong A levels or Degree or whatever, then regretting it later because I don't like it or I want to do something else.

I don't believe that there is such thing as choosing the wrong A levels, unless you're going for something specific. Play with your strengths and I guarantee you won't regret it.
Reply 7
I don't believe that there is such thing as choosing the wrong A levels, unless you're going for something specific. Play with your strengths and I guarantee you won't regret it.

Thanks, I want to pick the A levels which I'm strongest in (Mathematics, Physics, History, either Spanish, Chemistry or another subject).
Thanks, I want to pick the A levels which I'm strongest in (Mathematics, Physics, History, either Spanish, Chemistry or another subject).

Awesome. A good combo would be Maths, Physics, Chemistry and History. If you're really into Maths and Physics, you could also look at Engineering when it comes to a degree. You could take Further Maths with Physics, but this is very, very, VERY difficult to handle. You could take Maths w/ Mechanics and Physics which would be a good duo as they're linked together well. Chemistry is a good backup option. History is a good essay based subject which is what unis are looking into too.
Reply 9
Awesome. A good combo would be Maths, Physics, Chemistry and History. If you're really into Maths and Physics, you could also look at Engineering when it comes to a degree. You could take Further Maths with Physics, but this is very, very, VERY difficult to handle. You could take Maths w/ Mechanics and Physics which would be a good duo as they're linked together well. Chemistry is a good backup option. History is a good essay based subject which is what unis are looking into too.

I don't think that I'm bright enough or could handle further maths :P. I'm just deciding which would be more beneficial, Spanish or Chemistry (as a 4th A Level option).
I don't think that I'm bright enough or could handle further maths :P. I'm just deciding which would be more beneficial, Spanish or Chemistry (as a 4th A Level option).

Since you've already got a Science there, I'd take Spanish.
Reply 11
Thanks, I'm just a bit worried about which A levels to choose. At the moment I've expressed an interest in Mathematics, Physics, History and either Spanish, Chemistry or another subject. I want to choose the right A levels as I don't want to regret not choosing a different one. However I'm quite confident as these are the subjects that interest me more than any of the others.

Don't worry. Even if you do end up choosing the wrong A-levels, there are opportunities to enter particular fields which require certain subjects for those that do not have them.

As long as you enjoy those subjects you should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest