Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What is the best accommodation for first year? I prefer the idea of being in the student village, but I've heard that it's expensive - I only have a small loan and will probably go with shared bathrooms because it's cheaper (and self-catered). Are there any shared bathroom rooms in JoFo or are they all en-suite?

Also, the fact that it is so far away from the university is putting me off. But then people are saying that, in city living, the people there are mainly postgrads/older students and that the student village is better for student life/making friends. Is this true?

Once you've firmed your offer (I have, but the uni hasn't got back to me yet), do they email you with more information about the accommodation? All the information provided on the website seems more clumped together and it's hard to differentiate.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what you want from your accommodation really!

All of JoFo the newer blocks are all en suite, JoFo is also made up of converted houses that have a shared bathroom but aren't as new. Digby Meadow Court might be a good option, it was done up two years ago so is modern, it is cheaper as well as it has shared bathrooms.

City living is a mix of undergraduates and postgraduates where as Oadby tends to be first years so your with more people who are in the same boat as you if you choose Oadby.

Applications for accommodation open today so log as you have firmed you can apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puzzeled)

All of JoFo the newer blocks are all en suite, JoFo is also made up of converted houses that have a shared bathroom but aren't as new. Digby Meadow Court might be a good option, it was done up two years ago so is modern, it is cheaper as well as it has shared bathrooms.

City living is a mix of undergraduates and postgraduates where as Oadby tends to be first years so your with more people who are in the same boat as you if you choose Oadby.

Applications for accommodation open today so log as you have firmed you can apply.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puzzeled)

Are the John Foster houses nice?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.