Turn on thread page Beta

Why Do You Want This Job - How can I answer it? watch

ReputationRep:
    I had a phone call from a recruiter today about a job I applied for and I answered it inefficiently - I was too honest. The recruiter asked "what are you looking for?" and "why did you apply for this job?". I basically answered, "to support myself financially whilst I pursue my freelance career"...

Stupid, I know! Any tips on how to answer the question in a way that will actually give me a better chance to get an office job?

ReputationRep:
    Cuz I'm broke, innit.

ReputationRep:
    You are familiar with the fantastic reputation of the company and you would love to be part of a team that works well together to achieve something you can take pride in
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by AnEvolvedApe)
    I had a phone call from a recruiter today about a job I applied for and I answered it inefficiently - I was too honest. The recruiter asked "what are you looking for?" and "why did you apply for this job?". I basically answered, "to support myself financially whilst I pursue my freelance career"...

Stupid, I know! Any tips on how to answer the question in a way that will actually give me a better chance to get an office job?
    The answer to this question is nearly always something to do with it combining your academic qualifications (ie your theoretical knowledge about the subject matter) and your interests (ie you have a passion for, or an interest in, some part of the role) eg

Accountancy = I studied maths and I love the way businesses can grow
    Bouncer = I'm 6 foot 4 and like making people feel safe
    Spaceman = I've got a degree in astrophysics and i love travel and adventure
    Waitress = I've done it before at X and I enjoy serving people and giving them a break during the day
    etc

It's supposed to be a hoop to jump through. Everyone is supposed to have thought about this question and have a pre-prepared answer, so long as your answer is reasonably credible the interviewer will move on to more specific questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    The answer to this question is nearly always something to do with it combining your academic qualifications (ie your theoretical knowledge about the subject matter) and your interests (ie you have a passion for, or an interest in, some part of the role) eg

Waitress = I've done it before at X and I enjoy serving people and giving them a break during the day
    etc

It's supposed to be a hoop to jump through. Everyone is supposed to have thought about this question and have a pre-prepared answer, so long as your answer is reasonably credible the interviewer will move on to more specific questions.
    thankfully i didnt get asked this question today haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    thankfully i didnt get asked this question today haha
    Let me guess one of the questions you got asked :'D

'Name a time when you worked together in a team '

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carrot_Cake_13)
    Let me guess one of the questions you got asked :'D

'Name a time when you worked together in a team '
    nope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)

etc

Very informative. I am applying office and administration work for the first time. The reason why I am applying for these types of jobs because I have personal skills related to that kind of work. How do you think you'd answer it if you were invited to be an office assistant?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by AnEvolvedApe)
    The reason why I am applying for these types of jobs because I have personal skills related to that kind of work.

How do you think you'd answer it if you were invited to be an office assistant?
    The first part of the above is what you need to think about. The second part is irrelevant, because the answer I would give would depend on my qualifications and my relevant experience, which differs from yours.

You need to be able to expand on 'I have the personal skills related to that kind of work' by being more specific about the skills (I'm organised, I'm a good planner, I work until the task is completed, I manage deadlines well etc) and think up an example of when you have demonstrated the skill from your life experience, ie back it up with evidence.

ReputationRep:
    I would recall the job description to explain how my education/experience "perfectly" suit the role in question.

Mentioning "to support myself" is just plain obvious. No one wants to hear obvious answers. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    You could say you're interested in the company and would like to represent it,you match the job descriptions blah blah, or could say that you want a new career change, looking for a new challenge?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2016
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.