Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL) Watch

• View Poll Results: Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL)
    Yes
    79.24%
    No
    18.69%
    Undecided
    2.08%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    If you ask for evidence you imply it is likely false
    So in short you do not have the evidence? Good, now we can stop going around in circles.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I can see it's a simple fix. Leave gender and race off the application, of course that leaves the name issue, but I wouldn't think that's the key area an employer would look at.
    Thank you! Finally someone with common sense!

(Original post by sadly)
    How is that even possible? White colonists and their children (today) enforce Eurocentric beauty and superiority so how in the world can you be racist towards them? That is so funny LOL :clap2: I voted no
    What? No they don't. Stop demonizing white people you racist idiot. The actions of our ancestors have no influence on our own today, you're literally just pulling false accusations out of thin air and trying to make white people look like the scum of the earth. You won't find evidence of it anywhere simply because it doesn't happen. Put away your victim card and stop judging people based on the actions of some long-dead bigots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMouseyS)
    I didn't say that they weren't discriminated against, I said they weren't oppressed. Positive discrimination makes sense in a society in which straight white men remain highly privileged. I can assure you that in the vast majority professions, your statistic wouldn't hold true...
    What privilege? This privilege?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    Masquerading our preference for cheap labour as "needed industry for the third world" isn't fooling anyone.

If we continue to use them because they are cheap, then we will continue to think of them as having less value.

What?
    WAIT. So the third world doesn't need business?

Doesn't matter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    What privilege? This privilege?
    Paul Watson has no chill

ReputationRep:
    Very difficult to be racist in an 'effective' way, unless you're in an area where white people are in the minority.

ReputationRep:
    After having colonized them and viewing them as sub-human, valuing them less than what we might of someone that is white is what I imagine a kick in the teeth feels like when someone is already down.
    I lived in India. Most of them claimed that colonisation was the best thing that ever happened.

But yes giving them jobs, what a horrible thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say that they weren't discriminated against, I said they weren't oppressed. Positive discrimination makes sense in a society in which straight white men remain highly privileged. I can assure you that in the vast majority professions, your statistic wouldn't hold true...
    Good thing discrimination is illegal.

ReputationRep:
    White people can't suffer racism in UK only in other countries where whites are not the ruling class

ReputationRep:
    Well, a Stockholm Syndrome person isn't going to come and tell you that it was bad.

Giving them jobs that pay less to boost your own bottom lines - Yes, it is horrible to take advantage of people for your own material gain.
    God, do you think you are part of anonymous or something?

:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I lived in India. Most of them claimed that colonisation was the best thing that ever happened.

But yes giving them jobs, what a horrible thing to do.
    Slaughtering them when they rise up to demand self determination, constructing artificial racial barriers between African tribes in order to control and manipulate them to your own advantage, exploiting their natural resources, trading them as slaves...etc
    Yes how very benign the straight white male dominated empire was to its subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    White people can't suffer racism in UK only in other countries where whites are not the ruling class

:congrats::congrats:On not knowing what racism actually is

ReputationRep:
    Slaughtering them when they rise up to demand self determination, constructing artificial racial barriers between African tribes in order to control and manipulate them to your own advantage, exploiting their natural resources, trading them as slaves...etc
    Yes how very benign the straight white male dominated empire was to its subjects
    Do you act obtuse on purpose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldbangles)
    What's the reasoning behind quotas?
    Just read this from a blog..

"Of course, these gender stereotypes do not only affect girls: whilst I was outnumbered in my Physics A-Level class, my Art group had only one male member. In this sense, it is reasonable to conclude that sexism on a recruitment panel is less arbitrary, and more a result of an assimilation of latent gender stereotypes that we as a society possess: girls can’t play with cars, and boys can’t be princesses."

http://www.codecomputerlove.com/blog...a-female-coder

This is a pro quota argument that can be got to if you agree with the above paragraph, although you don;t have to, you may (and I may) think there are better ways of fixing it but I'm just thinking aloud here.

If quotas for more women increase the number of women in positions such as programming in the tech industry then small girls and boys see these women and it helps break the stereotype of only men are programmers that puts of girls from doing those kind of subjects and careers. Then eventually after a generation or two you don't need the quotas any more as society has changed and those stereotypes no longer exist.

There is a reasoning behind positive discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    No, white straight men hold no privilege whatsoever. Neither does anyone else. If anything, they are actually now disadvantaged.

Firstly, if you are white and you say something racist/sexist/anything else that's offensive you are guaranteed to lose your job. However, there are many cases of POC being inexcusably racist towards white people - even to the point of using '#whitegirltears' to mock female rape victims who happen to be white. How many of them lose their jobs for it? Virtually none. Is that not POC privilege?

Secondly, in industries where the majority of jobs are filled by white people there is a considerable push to hire more POC than white people. However, in industries where white people are underrepresented, no one blinks an eye. This is why white straight men are finding it increasingly harder to find jobs. I can't speak for america, but here in Britain if you aren't a minority you get discriminated against all the time.

Thirdly, if you're a white man and you get accused of rape, you are now assumed to be guilty until you are proven innocent. If you're a POC, you're assumed innocent until proven guilty. POC privilege much?

I can go on and on, but my hands are getting tired.

ReputationRep:
    The people who say straight white men and women have no privilege whatsoever are the same people that experience the privilege on a daily basis.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can. People who state otherwise don't understand the definition of racism.

ReputationRep:
    Those people who said no are assuming that white people are superior and perfect, which is racist itself.

ReputationRep:
    Even though you can be it is kind of irrelevant the only place it probably exists is in South Africa

ReputationRep:
    Not really

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.