Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL) watch

• View Poll Results: Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL)
    Yes
    79.17%
    No
    18.76%
    Undecided
    2.07%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    No, white straight men hold no privilege whatsoever. Neither does anyone else. If anything, they are actually now disadvantaged.

Firstly, if you are white and you say something racist/sexist/anything else that's offensive you are guaranteed to lose your job. However, there are many cases of POC being inexcusably racist towards white people - even to the point of using '#whitegirltears' to mock female rape victims who happen to be white. How many of them lose their jobs for it? Virtually none. Is that not POC privilege?

Secondly, in industries where the majority of jobs are filled by white people there is a considerable push to hire more POC than white people. However, in industries where white people are underrepresented, no one blinks an eye. This is why white straight men are finding it increasingly harder to find jobs. I can't speak for america, but here in Britain if you aren't a minority you get discriminated against all the time.

Thirdly, if you're a white man and you get accused of rape, you are now assumed to be guilty until you are proven innocent. If you're a POC, you're assumed innocent until proven guilty. POC privilege much?

I can go on and on, but my hands are getting tired.
    In which industries are white people under-represented? Not something I know too much about tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    I was in a debate in an A level history class, and a student claimed that you could not be racist to a white person because white people have not experienced systemic opression.
    Just say that it doesn't require systemic oppresion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asurat)
    In which industries are white people under-represented? Not something I know too much about tbh
    http://www.pajiba.com/tv_reviews/wha...c-industry.php
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...niversity.html
    http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/11/...lly-listening/
    http://www.sciencemag.org/careers/20...entist-cohorts

ReputationRep:
    No, white straight men hold no privilege whatsoever. Neither does anyone else. If anything, they are actually now disadvantaged.

Firstly, if you are white and you say something racist/sexist/anything else that's offensive you are guaranteed to lose your job. However, there are many cases of POC being inexcusably racist towards white people - even to the point of using '#whitegirltears' to mock female rape victims who happen to be white. How many of them lose their jobs for it? Virtually none. Is that not POC privilege?

Secondly, in industries where the majority of jobs are filled by white people there is a considerable push to hire more POC than white people. However, in industries where white people are underrepresented, no one blinks an eye. This is why white straight men are finding it increasingly harder to find jobs. I can't speak for america, but here in Britain if you aren't a minority you get discriminated against all the time.

Thirdly, if you're a white man and you get accused of rape, you are now assumed to be guilty until you are proven innocent. If you're a POC, you're assumed innocent until proven guilty. POC privilege much?

I can go on and on, but my hands are getting tired.
    These are your perceptions that are due to an increasingly common victim complex, most of which can't be supported by any actual evidence. For one thing there is absolutely nothing to suggest that White and POC men are treated differently when accused of rape. For another you are focusing on your own struggles and don't realise that nowadays we all struggle to find work, especially in specific fields. I would love to see these privileges that I supposedly get in the job industry because they have yet to crop up. Thirdly, in which industries are White people underrepresented?

ReputationRep:
    Two names one person. Marcia Sherwood.

ReputationRep:
    Those links are about a particular section of the music industry. I don't see anyone pushing for more POC in rock/heavy metal.

And "no longer overrepresented" does not mean underrepresented.

ReputationRep:
    The first link says white people are underrepresented in a TV show and in fact dominate the music industry in actuality, the 2nd says at university, 3rd has no real relevance whatsoever. I think it's fair to say that the three sites don't add to any sort of argument about job discrimination.

Your last link is fairly interesting though, as it says that "White scientists are actually underrepresented among industry scientists with Ph.D.s., in the three youngest cohorts." Personally I think that evidences some sort of positive discrimination. Do you feel there is no merit in positive discrimination?

ReputationRep:
    It is possible to be racist to white people.
    But wouldn't it be easier not to be racist to anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asurat)
    The first link says white people are underrepresented in a TV show and in fact dominate the music industry in actuality, the 2nd says at university, 3rd has no real relevance whatsoever. I think it's fair to say that the three sites don't add to any sort of argument about job discrimination.

Your last link is fairly interesting though, as it says that "White scientists are actually underrepresented among industry scientists with Ph.D.s., in the three youngest cohorts." Personally I think that evidences some sort of positive discrimination. Do you feel there is no merit in positive discrimination?
    Of course there isn't! People should be hired based solely on how suitable they are for the job. I get what the positive discrimination is trying to do, but in reality it just makes things worse as those who are more suitable than a candidate of a different ethnic background end up not getting the job because they're not a minority - which is in fact racism.

(Original post by WBZ144)
    Those links are about a particular section of the music industry. I don't see anyone pushing for more POC in rock/heavy metal.

And "no longer overrepresented" does not mean underrepresented.
    ...Read the article fully before you go making silly comments like this.

Also, where the hell did you get the idea that I was talking about industries where white people are the majority? I actually stated that these were examples of white people being underrepresented in industries, not that they are underrepresented in all industries. :facepalm2:

These are your perceptions that are due to an increasingly common victim complex, most of which can't be supported by any actual evidence.
    Victim complex? Dearie I think you'd better look in the mirror! You're the only one who's getting all defensive here. Does the fact that white people are underrepresented in some industries upset you? Or is it that you're just too bigoted to accept that your misconceived ideas about white people are wrong?

Besides, do you know what I am? I'm a chemical physicist. It's my job to analyse accurate and reliable data to reach fair and unbiased conclusions. That's exactly what I've done here. I have supplied you with the evidence that backs up my statement that white men are actually becoming disadvantaged in some aspects of society, a statement which I based entirely on actual data instead of the biased opinions of people seeking attention by claiming they're victims (which ironically, seems to be exactly what you've done).

For one thing there is absolutely nothing to suggest that White and POC men are treated differently when accused of rape.
    Say that to the innocent white men (the rape accusations in these cases were all proven to be false) who've had their lives ruined by the 'guilty until proven innocent' mentality about rape cases.

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/...pe-allegations
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/think...ccusation.html
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-f...d-of-rape.html
    http://www.inside-man.co.uk/2015/05/...e-allegations/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...rongly-accused
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lieve-her.html
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...n_2865823.html

[QUOTE=WBZ144;63348417]For another you are focusing on your own struggles and don't realise that nowadays we all struggle to find work, especially in specific fields.[\QUOTE]

...Do you really think I wouldn't consider that before making statements about such things? And no, I am not focusing on my own struggles at all.

I would love to see these privileges that I supposedly get in the job industry because they have yet to crop up.
    Ironically, my struggles are far greater than you seem to think yours are. I'm disabled and am far below the poverty line. I've literally been 'quarantined' in schools before because I'm disabled. Like all sensible people, I ignored it and got on with life instead of whining about it. Don't try sobbing to me about being disadvantaged, you've experienced nothing. In reality, you have privilege because you're not disabled and judging by the nice stuff you're wearing in your profile pic, you certainly aren't poor either. You claiming to be disadvantaged is a bit hypocritical don't you think?

[QUOTE=WBZ144;63348417]Thirdly, in which industries are White people underrepresented?[\QUOTE]

...I already pasted links to some examples.

ReputationRep:
    The SJW new 'definition' of racism has been pulled out of thin air and is completely flawed. They claim black people can't be racist towards white people but can be prejudice. As far as I'm concerned, that falls into the racism category.

You can be prejudice but not racist. It's not black and white (so to speak) it depends on power structure and other stuff. White people will refuse to believe it but reverse racism does not exist.

ReputationRep:
    Of course there isn't! People should be hired based solely on how suitable they are for the job. I get what the positive discrimination is trying to do, but in reality it just makes things worse as those who are more suitable than a candidate of a different ethnic background end up not getting the job because they're not a minority - which is in fact racism.

...Read the article fully before you go making silly comments like this.

Also, where the hell did you get the idea that I was talking about industries where white people are the majority? I actually stated that these were examples of white people being underrepresented in industries, not that they are underrepresented in all industries. :facepalm2:

Victim complex? Dearie I think you'd better look in the mirror! You're the only one who's getting all defensive here. Does the fact that white people are underrepresented in some industries upset you? Or is it that you're just too bigoted to accept that your misconceived ideas about white people are wrong?

Besides, do you know what I am? I'm a chemical physicist. It's my job to analyse accurate and reliable data to reach fair and unbiased conclusions. That's exactly what I've done here. I have supplied you with the evidence that backs up my statement that white men are actually becoming disadvantaged in some aspects of society, a statement which I based entirely on actual data instead of the biased opinions of people seeking attention by claiming they're victims (which ironically, seems to be exactly what you've done).

Say that to the innocent white men (the rape accusations in these cases were all proven to be false) who've had their lives ruined by the 'guilty until proven innocent' mentality about rape cases.

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/...pe-allegations
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/think...ccusation.html
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-f...d-of-rape.html
    http://www.inside-man.co.uk/2015/05/...e-allegations/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...rongly-accused
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lieve-her.html
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...n_2865823.html

...Do you really think I wouldn't consider that before making statements about such things? And no, I am not focusing on my own struggles at all.

Ironically, my struggles are far greater than you seem to think yours are. I'm disabled and am far below the poverty line. I've literally been 'quarantined' in schools before because I'm disabled. Like all sensible people, I ignored it and got on with life instead of whining about it. Don't try sobbing to me about being disadvantaged, you've experienced nothing. In reality, you have privilege because you're not disabled and judging by the nice stuff you're wearing in your profile pic, you certainly aren't poor either. You claiming to be disadvantaged is a bit hypocritical don't you think?

...I already pasted links to some examples.
    1) Where did I say anything about being disadvantaged? I said that I would like to see these so-called privileges that you claim I have, massive difference. If anything you were the one complaining about how tough life is to be a White, Straight, Male.

2) You post a lot of links when in reality they are not relevant to the claims you're making. Nobody said that false rape allegations do not happen. The problem is that those links do not specify the ethnicities of men who were falsely accused, so that does not prove that White men are treated differently to POC. If you really were unbiased you would not be using those sources as evidence.

3) I didn't say that you were saying that Whites are under-represented in all industries, just making the point that the fact that there aren't many White artists making a certain kind of music (rap) does not count as under-representation, as they dominate others (rock, for an example). If that's the best you can come up with by "some" industries then you're doing a poor job. I'm hardly defensive, just pointing out the inaccuracies in your claims. Two of those links are simply about a music genre and another one is being read without taking into account the vast numbers of in temporary workers who come here from abroad.

It's kinda saddening because the wage gap is simply a myth when you account for other factors.
    Did you vote conservative by any chance? (Just a wild guess)
    The wage gap is obviously not a myth - perhaps you should practice what you preach and do some of your own research.

Would you care to qualify that? You have literally zero proof!
    You said you were debating in an A level History class???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    Individually - Yes

Institutionally - No.
    Well, you could be racist towards whites institutionally. There's just not much historical precedent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeoMarxist)
    You can be prejudice but not racist. It's not black and white (so to speak) it depends on power structure and other stuff. White people will refuse to believe it but reverse racism does not exist.
    I am white and I completely agree reverse racism doesn't exist.

It is simply racism.

ReputationRep:
    The wage gap is obviously not a myth - perhaps you should practice what you preach and do some of your own research.
    Maybe you should there Is already equal pay for equal work

Any gap is down to personal choices

ReputationRep:
    Equality Act 2010. Go and read it.

(Original post by joecphillips)
    I am white and I completely agree reverse racism doesn't exist.

It is simply racism.
    I respect that you have a difference of opinion, but you also have to understand it's hard for POC to hear that all racism is the same from the very same people who control the world. It's also such a disillusioned and idealistic concept - I hope one day that racism is just racism with no strings attached, but this is simply not true in this day and age.

I also noticed your attempt to undermine 'Black Lives Matter'. I guess you'd say 'All Lives Matter' but that cannot be the case and I don't think I need to explain why. Please see the reality and don't just follow elitist views.

ReputationRep:
    I respect that you have a difference of opinion, but you also have to understand it's hard for POC to hear that all racism is the same from the very same people who control the world. It's also such a disillusioned and idealistic concept - I hope one day that racism is just racism with no strings attached, but this is simply not true in this day and age.

I also noticed your attempt to undermine 'Black Lives Matter'. I guess you'd say 'All Lives Matter' but that cannot be the case and I don't think I need to explain why. Please see the reality and don't just follow elitist views.
    Undermine black lives matter by pointing out they want segregation?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.