Turn on thread page Beta

Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL) watch

• View Poll Results: Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL)
    Yes
    79.07%
    No
    18.87%
    Undecided
    2.06%

(Original post by DiddyDec)
    Equality Act 2010. Go and read it.
    Read it. Does the wage gap still exist? Yes. Please show me figures which show otherwise.

(Original post by joecphillips)
    Undermine black lives matter by pointing out they want segregation?
    Yes you did because you insinuated that 'Black Lives Matter' want segregation when only a few people apart of that organisation do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    Individually - Yes

Institutionally - No.
    isn't that dependent on which institution you exist in? what about zimbabwe? :hi: or is that still "individually"? what is the real difference between "individual" and "institutional" racism when you're still an individual in whichever case?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeoMarxist)
    Yes you did because you insinuated that 'Black Lives Matter' want segregation when only a few people apart of that organisation do.
    Has part of black lives matter demanded this?

Has part of black lives matter demanded this?
    Yes, a small minority have said it would be a good idea. I think I already mentioned that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, a small minority have said it would be a good idea. I think I already mentioned that.
    So I undermine them by talking about what they have asked for

So I undermine them by talking about what they have asked for
    Yes, because like I said, you insinuated that the organisation 'Black Lives Matter' want segregated dorms. This is not what the majority want - you generalised. It's like me saying Republicans want Muslims banned from America - that is not the case. Only the Trump campaign is saying that. Just because a few students (who were apart of BLM) wanted segregated dorms doesn't mean the organisation wants/condones that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because like I said, you insinuated that the organisation 'Black Lives Matter' want segregated dorms. This is not what the majority want - you generalised. It's like me saying Republicans want Muslims banned from America - that is not the case. Only the Trump campaign is saying that. Just because a few students (who were apart of BLM) wanted segregated dorms doesn't mean the organisation wants/condones that.
    I have pointed out what people inside the movement has said just because you like to paint this movement as a good thing and this doesn't follow that image doesn't mean it is undermining them it is holding them up to legitimate scrutiny.

ReputationRep:
    The source of power differentiates the two.
    so institutional racism is only technically a type of "public-policy racism" (or "cultural racism" depending on which institution) but not representative of "racism" in general? why even differentiate the two concept in the first place then?

I have pointed out what people inside the movement has said just because you like to paint this movement as a good thing and this doesn't follow that image doesn't mean it is undermining them it is holding them up to legitimate scrutiny.
    You were clearly trying to undermine the group, especially when put in context with the rest of the comments you have made during the course of this thread. I'm asian so I don't have that strong of a bias as you may think. I for one think some members of BLM do make some crazy demands but I thought it was wrong of you to generalise because the majority just want equality.

Also, I have just tried to search for any articles connecting BLM to the issue of wanting separate dormitories - I have not found one source. Perhaps I have not looked hard enough in my haste. I would be grateful if you would link some articles as I would like to research this further.

ReputationRep:
    Institutional Racism - Endemic within a culture due to historical practices.

So when a black cop in Ferguson shoots an unarmed black man in Ferguson, Missouri, that is considered institutional racism because from an institutional point of view, the police are racist as displayed by their attitudes and practices.
    what then is the difference between the individuals cops being racist and the institution of the police department of ferguson being racist? nothing? so is it really just an arbitrary distinction when "racism" is the only concept that has a meaning of its own?

ReputationRep:
    You were clearly trying to undermine the group, especially when put in context with the rest of the comments you have made during the course of this thread. I'm asian so I don't have that strong of a bias as you may think. I for one think some members of BLM do make some crazy demands but I thought it was wrong of you to generalise because the majority just want equality.

Also, I have just tried to search for any articles connecting BLM to the issue of wanting separate dormitories - I have not found one source. Perhaps I have not looked hard enough in my haste. I would be grateful if you would link some articles as I would like to research this further.
    http://www.dailywire.com/news/783/uc...o-pardes-seleh

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...tudent-groups/ number 21.

Thank you for linking the articles for me. It seems to support what I have been saying - only a minority want that. I only ask that you be more explicit in your statements in the future. Someone reading what you had written may believe that it is a central idea in BLM. Think about the implications of the statements you make.

ReputationRep:
    Cops serve the institution.

There is a major difference between individuals and an institution and not as you have portrayed, individuals who serve an institution.
    what is the institution of the ferguson police department without the police, though? what is a police department minus the cops within it? a building? can a building be "racist"?

ReputationRep:
    When you put on a uniform of an institution that has historically been racist, you come to embody that institution and perpetrate racism through your participation.
    but an individual in a uniform is still an individual. we're talking about individuals in uniforms, so how is that creating a meaningful distinction between "individual racism" and "institutional racism"? institutional racism is always individual racism, but institutional racism is a specific kind of individual racism, it seems - so, again, there doesn't seem to be a meaningful distinction

ReputationRep:
    Okay. You win the argument.
    well really what I'm trying to imply is that it's wrong to distinguish between the two because it suggests that being racist to white people isn't racism when it is - people who deny that you can be racist to a white person always rely on that "institutional" feature

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm... White... people.. experiencing racism? Do not compute. Don't people already know white people are living like queens and kings in this country? (USA) Of course white people can't experience racism. That's an oxymoron, fools. (Sarcasm)

Pretty much anyone can experience racism, and its not right at all. I guess white people are pretty much considered at the top of the social pyramid and pretty much being racist toward some white people is "justified"? I don't know. Isn't racism based on stereotyping someone based on their race or just discriminating them based on their race or something like that? If so, sure.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Yes. However if your definition of racism means that you cannot be racist to the majority race in a country then no.

But that's deliberately mislead imo.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, watch: white people can't jump

Now that may not be very oppressive but it is however racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    As far as I'm concerned, you can be racist to anyone!

Everyone has a race, if you can offend or discriminate, you can be racist to them.
    Of course you can be racist to a white person and it happens everyday far more than the reverse because it isn't generally accepted that you can be racist to a white person.

I don't agree that if a person is offended by something someone says/does by someone of another race that it is racist.

Only discrimination is racist

Posted from TSR Mobile

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.