Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL) Watch

• View Poll Results: Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL)
    Yes
    79.24%
    No
    18.69%
    Undecided
    2.08%

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Yes,anybody can experience racism

ReputationRep:
    The fact that people chose 'no' or 'undecided' to this question worries me. Do people actually believe that?

ReputationRep:
    LOL white people want to be oppressed so bad. In order to be racist you need to be in a position of power and privilege. None of which POC have. Therefore it is simply not possible to be racist to a white person. Discriminatory and prejuduce sure. But racist? Impossible. Racism is an institution run by - you guessed it the white elite.
    Please educate yourselves on race relations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    I'm sorry, I don't see how that isn't racism. See if I said you were brown or black, people would call me out for being racist
    Hmmm, maybe not in the UK. News reporters/ anchors describe people as 'white male' or 'black female' etc.
    But idk

ReputationRep:
    Bahahaha! This thread is HILARIOUS. :laugh::laugh::laugh::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm concerned, you can be racist to anyone!

Everyone has a race, if you can offend or discriminate, you can be racist to them.
    Of course you can.

ReputationRep:
    I was in a debate in an A level history class, and a student claimed that you could not be racist to a white person because white people have not experienced systemic opression.
    Well, tell that to the thousands of white Zimbabwean farmers that have been murdered, burned out of their homes, and forced off their land.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy_a)
    LOL white people want to be oppressed so bad. In order to be racist you need to be in a position of power and privilege. None of which POC have. Therefore it is simply not possible to be racist to a white person. Discriminatory and prejuduce sure. But racist? Impossible. Racism is an institution run by - you guessed it the white elite.
    Please educate yourselves on race relations
    Nice way to redefine a word so that it can be used for your point but just because you say that is the definition doesn't change the actual definition.

ReputationRep:
    Institutionally, no? So hiring blacks over whites, simply to fill a quota isn't racist?
    No its not racist. Just because the blacks were hired, doesn't mean the employer cannot secretly hold racist views towards them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Nice way to redefine a word so that it can be used for your point but just because you say that is the definition doesn't change the actual definition.
    So racism isn't an institution? Ok...

ReputationRep:
    I was in a debate in an A level history class, and a student claimed that you could not be racist to a white person because white people have not experienced systemic oppression.
    People who say these things are usually radical feminists or some other retarded ****. Can't take them seriously

ReputationRep:
    So racism isn't an institution? Ok...
    No racism is "the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."

ReputationRep:
    Can you provide me a non stanlinist source for your statment?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_slave_trade

At this juncture I would like to note that I meant to type 1.2 Million not 120 Million
    Wow so apparently Wikipedia is a reliable source now in comparison to my "stanlinist" source? interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Thank you! Finally someone with common sense!

What? No they don't. Stop demonizing white people you racist idiot. The actions of our ancestors have no influence on our own today, you're literally just pulling false accusations out of thin air and trying to make white people look like the scum of the earth. You won't find evidence of it anywhere simply because it doesn't happen. Put away your victim card and stop judging people based on the actions of some long-dead bigots.
    Sorry but even till today you whites are actively oppressing and killing people of colour so in you own words, whites are "sum of the earth" if only they were killed off like they did to other civilisations, why don't you collect the facts and see what the western world are doing to the vulnerable before you come and quote me because frankly your argument is very weak to say the least

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Thank you! Finally someone with common sense!

What? No they don't. Stop demonizing white people you racist idiot. The actions of our ancestors have no influence on our own today, you're literally just pulling false accusations out of thin air and trying to make white people look like the scum of the earth. You won't find evidence of it anywhere simply because it doesn't happen. Put away your victim card and stop judging people based on the actions of some long-dead bigots.
    Sorry but even till today you whites are actively oppressing and killing people of colour so in you own words, whites are "scum of the earth" if only they were killed off like they did to other civilisations, why don't you collect the facts and see what the western world are doing to the vulnerable before you come and quote me because frankly your argument is very weak to say the least

ReputationRep:
    Are you really trying to tell me racism isnt an institution..? Cute how you picked that definition of racism. Source please.
    Can you please give me the source of your definition
    http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...english/racism

ReputationRep:
    Nice nice. Oxford dictionaries. Complied by the white man
    http://racerelations.about.com/od/un...atIsRacism.htm
    Your article says

Can Minorities Be Racist?

Then answers that by saying "Yes, of course."

And your article is a hell of a lot more biased than the dictionary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Your article says

Can Minorities Be Racist?

Then answers that by saying "Yes, of course."

And your article is a hell of a lot more biased than the dictionary.
    Ok whatever but my point is.. Is that racism is an institution and if you dont believe that youre a bit naive

ReputationRep:
    Ok whatever but my point is.. Is that racism is an institution and if you dont believe that youre a bit naive
    Or you just know what racism is

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.