Turn on thread page Beta

Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL) watch

• View Poll Results: Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL)
    Yes
    79.07%
    No
    18.87%
    Undecided
    2.06%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    Well, actually there were more white slaves to muslims than blacks/asians. But the SJWs would hate for truths to be spoken.
    I agree with all of what you say a 100%, but could drop the SJW term It's annoying as hell and makes you look childish and cliched. It only subtracts from the value of what you're saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy_a)
    Cute. White people are always playing the victim
    How am I playing the victim pointing out you don't know the definition of racism

ReputationRep:
    Reading this thread you would think positive discrimination isn't what it says.

Discrimination

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Youre not seeing through the textbook definition of racism. You don't want to accept racism is really an institution. Are you really saying the same people who are discriminated against can turn around and treat white people the same way? No. Because POC have no privilege and power. Accept that white people indeed have this. White people are not an oppressed people. Back to my original point, its not to say that you can't be prejudice or plain rude to white people. But what oppression have white people really experienced? Tell me
    Yes I am saying that people who are treated badly can treat others badly. If I am assaulted on the street does that stop me from then going and assaulting someone else?

Privilege and power has nothing to do with racism, you have redefined the word so it works for you.

Who has more power me or Oprah?

Racism doesn't require oppression.

Stop redefining the word and use it properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Yes I am saying that people who are treated badly can treat others badly. If I am assaulted on the street does that stop me from then going and assaulting someone else?

Privilege and power has nothing to do with racism, you have redefined the word so it works for you.

Who has more power me or Oprah?

Racism doesn't require oppression.

Stop redefining the word and use it properly.
    Well. Racism ins't defined on an individual basis but has to be viewed in context which is why it is an institutional problem.. Oprah is black and has power sure but is still oppressed and probably always will be.. and "racism doesn't require oppression" really?.. really? are you sure. I have not defined the word racism so please... Look back at history, aren't the people who are victims or racism oppressed by those with power and privilege..?

ReputationRep:
    Why does this useless conversation persist?

ReputationRep:
    Well. Racism ins't defined on an individual basis but has to be viewed in context which is why it is an institutional problem.. Oprah is black and has power sure but is still oppressed and probably always will be.. and "racism doesn't require oppression" really?.. really? are you sure. I have not defined the word racism so please... Look back at history, aren't the people who are victims or racism oppressed by those with power and privilege..?
    Look at the actual definition of racism and use that.

Yes it doesn't require oppression saying it does is like saying murder requires a knife.

ReputationRep:
    Why should I use the definition of racism written by the white man for the white man? Of course its going to imply that everyone can experience racism. POC are systematically oppressed. This is what im getting at. White people can be discriminated against absolutely. But to equate the racial struggles of POC and white people is disgusting. White people will never experience the 'racism' those of colour do.
    Your argument is that a group who commit something they then can not be victims by that logic black people can not be victims of murder (they are 7 times more likely to murder than others)

The reason why you should use that definition is because that is what it is.

Why should I let you decide to just redefine words?

ReputationRep:
    Your argument is that a group who commit something they then can not be victims by that logic black people can not be victims of murder (they are 7 times more likely to murder than others)

The reason why you should use that definition is because that is what it is.

Why should I let you decide to just redefine words?
    Racism and murder are two different things no? Of course you will subscribe to the view of what racism is. Its in your favour. How can white people create a system of oppression againt POC then claim they are being racist towards them?

ReputationRep:
    Racism and murder are two different things no? Of course you will subscribe to the view of what racism is. Its in your favour. How can white people create a system of oppression againt POC then claim they are being racist towards them?
    Racism and oppression are 2 different things and exist separately

But you are saying that people can't commit and be victims of the same type of act.

ReputationRep:
    Racism and oppression are 2 different things and exist separately

But you are saying that people can't commit and be victims of the same type of act.
    Well. Until racism is no longer institutionalised and white people only are no longer in positions of both power and privilege over POC then we can consider that white people can be victims of racism. Oh but wait, that isn't happening anytime soon now is it.

ReputationRep:
    Well. Until racism is no longer institutionalised and white people only are no longer in positions of both power and privilege over POC then we can consider that white people can be victims of racism. Oh but wait, that isn't happening anytime soon now is it.
    I am guessing you mean MPs as being in positions of power?
    Who puts these people there themselves or the electorate? If people have problems with the decisions MPs make then they themselves are to blame.

So the minority should have more power than the majority?

People who use the word privileged in my experience tends to be people who are looking for someone to blame for their own failures, so I recommend you look internally, everyone has to earn their way I believe the only true privileged people are people born rich however I don't go complaining they have an advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadly)
    Wow so apparently Wikipedia is a reliable source now in comparison to my "stanlinist" source? interesting.
    Wikipedia is moderated, and for the most part has to be accurate

ReputationRep:
    LOL white people want to be oppressed so bad. In order to be racist you need to be in a position of power and privilege. None of which POC have. Therefore it is simply not possible to be racist to a white person. Discriminatory and prejuduce sure. But racist? Impossible. Racism is an institution run by - you guessed it the white elite.
    Please educate yourselves on race relations
    Fact of the day: Asians earn more than Whites.

ReputationRep:
    One word: apartheid.

ReputationRep:
    They are oppressing me

ReputationRep:
    I am guessing you mean MPs as being in positions of power?
    Who puts these people there themselves or the electorate? If people have problems with the decisions MPs make then they themselves are to blame.

So the minority should have more power than the majority?

People who use the word privileged in my experience tends to be people who are looking for someone to blame for their own failures, so I recommend you look internally, everyone has to earn their way I believe the only true privileged people are people born rich however I don't go complaining they have an advantage.
    No. Its not about the power MP's have. Racism goes way further than that...So it's the electorates fault that peers are mostly all old white men? So everyone should suffer the consequences of a government not everybody voted for? Anyway racism does exist in UK Politics today but im not even going to get into that.

The power and privilege I'm referring to is that which has existed since the beginning of time. It is a never ending cycle which is passed on from generation to generation in terms of nepotism and institutionalised racism. How are POC able to progress in a society which belives they are less than. Racism is a tool of oppression used by those in positions of power so are therefore privileged in that regard. The difference between white people and POC is opportunity. Opportunities which are perhaps given to white people by white people due to institutionalised racism which undoubtedly exists.. Surely this means white people are more priveleged in that sense? POC can't just change the colour of their skin as they please. I think youre confusing institutionalised racism with meritocracy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but so..?

ReputationRep:
    No. Its not about the power MP's have. Racism goes way further than that...So it's the electorates fault that peers are mostly all old white men? So everyone should suffer the consequences of a government not everybody voted for? Anyway racism does exist in UK Politics today but im not even going to get into that.

The power and privilege I'm referring to is that which has existed since the beginning of time. It is a never ending cycle which is passed on from generation to generation in terms of nepotism and institutionalised racism. How are POC able to progress in a society which belives they are less than. Racism is a tool of oppression used by those in positions of power so are therefore privileged in that regard. The difference between white people and POC is opportunity. Opportunities which are perhaps given to white people by white people due to institutionalised racism which undoubtedly exists.. Surely this means white people are more priveleged in that sense? POC can't just change the colour of their skin as they please. I think youre confusing institutionalised racism with meritocracy.
    So when Egyptians where in power were black people oppressed?
    There is no difference in opportunity if there was then that would be illegal as the big oppressive white people have passed laws to stop it.

Maybe the reason the electorate is mostly white is because the country is mostly white?
    What is the alternative a government run by the minority of people.
    You can't just say it exists then say I'm not going to go into it as a argument.
    POC are secretly pulling the strings behind the picture but I'm not even going to go into it you just have to accept that as fact

ReputationRep:

How are POC able to progress in a society which belives they are less than.
    Same way people from a work class background can progress despite also being seen as less.

The difference between white people and POC is opportunity.
    What about minority white groups?

Opportunities which are perhaps given to white people by white people due to institutionalised racism which undoubtedly exists.. Surely this means white people are more priveleged in that sense?
    What about opportunities given to S. Asians by S. Asians for the same reason?

POC can't just change the colour of their skin as they please.
    Nobody can, not just PoC.

Racism will only vanish when positions of power are exclusively held by non-whites?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.