Turn on thread page Beta

Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL) watch

• View Poll Results: Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL)
    Yes
    79.07%
    No
    18.87%
    Undecided
    2.06%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Personally I think people with a victim complex like you are the problem if you tell someone over and over they can't do something chances are they won't do it, so maybe instead of saying oh they can't do this and that you should start encouraging them to actually get up and do it.
    Haha cute. Im the one with a victim complex ok..? Whilst claiming that white people can be victims of racism. Not saying they can't. I'm saying the system will not allow them to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy_a)
    Haha cute. Im the one with a victim complex ok..? Whilst claiming that white people can be victims of racism. Not saying they can't. I'm saying the system will not allow them to.
    That basically says I'm not saying they can't but they can't.

There is a difference between me saying white people can be victims of racism and you saying all POC are victims of racism so shouldn't bother trying as they wont succeed.

ReputationRep:
    Comparing the working class to POC is actually quite pathetic seeing the working class struggles can be overcome. Institutionalised racism? Not so easy.

What about them..?

If opportunities are being denied to POC are they wrong wrong for creating their own?

Ok but POC are discriminated against on a disproportionate scale but yet racism is experienced by white people by a system established by white people? Boo hoo

Racism will clearly never be vanished but if you want to talk about it like that then it will vanish when POC are given equal opportunity and are not victims of institutionalised racism 😊
    If POC are creating their own opportunities why is it wrong for others to create their own?

ReputationRep:
    If POC are creating their own opportunities why is it wrong for others to create their own?
    They wouldn't need to create opportunities of their own if they were given out fairly and not based on colour..

ReputationRep:
    They wouldn't need to create opportunities of their own if they were given out fairly and not based on colour..
    That same argument could be used in reverse.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely!

ReputationRep:
    That same argument could be used in reverse.
    LOL you clearly don't understand. Read into institutionalised racism and race relations.
    Have a good weekend 💋

ReputationRep:
    LOL you clearly don't understand. Read into institutionalised racism and race relations.
    Have a good weekend 💋
    I understand that race relations are getting worse now that people like you are complaining about how POC are not getting jobs rather than encouraging them to get qualifications so they can get the job

ReputationRep:
    I was subjected to racism as a white person. Insults such as white *****. This happened at work for an international company. Not a thing was done or said about it.

ReputationRep:
    Can't argue with ignorance.. Like I said you should read up more on institutionalised racism and race relations😊

Again, have a good weekend 💋💋
    Have race relations gotten better or worse over the past few years?

You are ignorant of this fact and are directly responsible for why they are getting worse

ReputationRep:
    Why is this even a question?

ReputationRep:
    Comparing the working class to POC is actually quite pathetic seeing the working class struggles can be overcome. Institutionalised racism? Not so easy.

This is only have decades of fighting for the ability to do so, just as PoC have over the years. It is only relatively recently that someone of low birth could amount to anything, and this bias still stays with us today. It is completely comparable to racism.

What about them..?
    When white minority groups are denied opportunities, are they not entitled to some kind of protection or acknowledgment?

If opportunities are being denied to POC are they wrong wrong for creating their own?
    Yes, because it is denying another person an opportunity based entirely on their race.

Ok but POC are discriminated against on a disproportionate scale but yet racism is experienced by white people by a system established by white people? Boo hoo
    Just because some, or even most white people benefit from other white people being in power, does not mean you can make light of times when they don't. I could just as easily and ignorantly tell you to cry me a river about the issues you are talking about.

Racism will clearly never be vanished but if you want to talk about it like that then it will vanish when POC are given equal opportunity and are not victims of institutionalised racism 😊
    And how would you envision such a world? Equal rights for all races? Racial proportions in companies that reflect the national average?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadly)
    Sorry but even till today you whites are actively oppressing and killing people of colour so in you own words, whites are "scum of the earth" if only they were killed off like they did to other civilisations, why don't you collect the facts and see what the western world are doing to the vulnerable before you come and quote me because frankly your argument is very weak to say the least
    No we're not. Why don't YOU go and look at the facts?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but so..?
    Looks like I am definetely privileged as a white person, I mean Asians being paid more than me for the same job isn't racist at all...

ReputationRep:
    I better get my white cis gender heterosexual male ass out of here before my privilege is shown too brightly.

This gold and diamond seat I'm sitting on hurts by arse anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So many unsupported claims passed off as "facts" on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    So many unsupported claims passed off as "facts" on this thread.
    Have I made any claim which you would like evidence of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincePauls5777)
    No a black person can not be systematically racist to a white person.

Although a black person in an authority position can discriminate against a white person, this kind of thing rarely happens because,

A) such persons are still statistically rare relative to whites in authority

B) In virtually all cases, there are authorities above those black people who are white, and who would not stand for such actions

C) Even in cases where a black person sits atop a power structure (as with President Obama), he is not truly free to do anything to oppress or marginalize white people (even were he so inclined), given his own need to attract white support in order to win election or pass any of his policy agenda.

There are no institutional structures in the U.K. in which black people exercise final and controlling authority: not in the school systems, labour market, justice system, housing markets, financial markets, or media.

As such, the ability of black folks to oppress white people simply does not exist.

Having said that, it is certainly true that in other countries, black people could have power sufficient to discriminate against whites. Although even racism to whites in places like Ghana, Nigeria or the Caribbean is somewhat limited by the reality of global economics and the desire for good relations with the West,
    Well done in not knowing what racism actually is.

ReputationRep:
    No a black person can not be systematically racist to a white person.
    That, of course, was not the question. The question was, can a black person be racist to a white person. You obsession with a single agenda has clouded your reading ability, I fear.

ReputationRep:
    Although a black person in an authority position can discriminate against a white person, this kind of thing rarely happens because,

As such, the ability of black folks to oppress white people simply does not exist.
    You went from "it rarely happens" to "it doesnt happen".

Racism and discriminations isn't some grand affair where the person in question declares to the world their intention to discriminate. But it is instead more subtle, choosing people of particular races over those of others in various circumstances. When a racist is interviewing a candidate for example, they don't provide feedback to those making the decision with a comment akin to "they're black, don't hire them", but will rather give negative comments about them without explaining why they think they have those traits, possibly not even fully understanding it themselves.

So anyone that is racist will have their racism come out in subtle ways throughout their lives, which is where the discrimination (in the modern world anyway) happens, which happens at the level of the individual, be it the head of the company or the person working your till.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2017
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.