Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL) watch

• View Poll Results: Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL)
    Yes
    79.17%
    No
    18.76%
    Undecided
    2.07%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincePauls5777)
    No a black person can not be systematically racist to a white person.

Although a black person in an authority position can discriminate against a white person, this kind of thing rarely happens because,

A) such persons are still statistically rare relative to whites in authority

B) In virtually all cases, there are authorities above those black people who are white, and who would not stand for such actions

C) Even in cases where a black person sits atop a power structure (as with President Obama), he is not truly free to do anything to oppress or marginalize white people (even were he so inclined), given his own need to attract white support in order to win election or pass any of his policy agenda.

There are no institutional structures in the U.K. in which black people exercise final and controlling authority: not in the school systems, labour market, justice system, housing markets, financial markets, or media.

As such, the ability of black folks to oppress white people simply does not exist.

Having said that, it is certainly true that in other countries, black people could have power sufficient to discriminate against whites. Although even racism to whites in places like Ghana, Nigeria or the Caribbean is somewhat limited by the reality of global economics and the desire for good relations with the West,
    Well done in not knowing what racism actually is.

ReputationRep:
    No a black person can not be systematically racist to a white person.
    That, of course, was not the question. The question was, can a black person be racist to a white person. You obsession with a single agenda has clouded your reading ability, I fear.

ReputationRep:
    Although a black person in an authority position can discriminate against a white person, this kind of thing rarely happens because,

As such, the ability of black folks to oppress white people simply does not exist.
    You went from "it rarely happens" to "it doesnt happen".

Racism and discriminations isn't some grand affair where the person in question declares to the world their intention to discriminate. But it is instead more subtle, choosing people of particular races over those of others in various circumstances. When a racist is interviewing a candidate for example, they don't provide feedback to those making the decision with a comment akin to "they're black, don't hire them", but will rather give negative comments about them without explaining why they think they have those traits, possibly not even fully understanding it themselves.

So anyone that is racist will have their racism come out in subtle ways throughout their lives, which is where the discrimination (in the modern world anyway) happens, which happens at the level of the individual, be it the head of the company or the person working your till.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    That, of course, was not the question. The question was, can a black person be racist to a white person. You obsession with a single agenda has clouded your reading ability, I fear.
    Racism is a system and unless you control systems then you can't really practice racism

If you want to argue that black people can be racist, then what you are really talking about is name calling. That's it and white people have a system to slap that black person down should they get called to many name.

Plus - What name can a black person call a white person to really get under this skin ? Honky ? Whitey ? ....Yeah right.

ReputationRep:
    Racism is a system and unless you control systems then you can't really practice racism

If you want to argue that black people can be racist, then what you are really talking about is name calling. That's it and white people have a system to slap that black person down should they get called to many name.

Plus - What name can a black person call a white person to really get under this skin ? Honky ? Whitey ? ....Yeah right.
    "the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."

Nothing to do with systems or anything else, learn the definition of words before you use them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    "the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."

Nothing to do with systems or anything else, learn the definition of words before you use them.
    You confusing ideology with actions.

When you say "the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races." Then that deals with motive and intentions, which are largely a matter of guesswork. Instead of words and actions, which are not.

People like you know this and derail conversations about their words and actions into those about their inner state, which you know no-one can ever win.

I make racism about what you do, not what you believe.

When a thief takes your money you run after him not to tell him he is a thief but to get your money back.

Racism is not like tonsils were you either have it or you do not. Racism is more like dental hygiene, something you have to work at every day.Why ? Because you are constantly being hit with racist messages every day and unless you keep fighting against it, it will make you more and more racist over time.

ReputationRep:
    All the ones who claim it can't happen on this thread are stupid.

ReputationRep:
    You confusing ideology with actions.

When you say "the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races." Then that deals with motive and intentions, which are largely a matter of guesswork. Instead of words and actions, which are not.

People like you know this and derail conversations about their words and actions into those about their inner state, which you know no-one can ever win.

I make racism about what you do, not what you believe.

When a thief takes your money you run after him not to tell him he is a thief but to get your money back.

Racism is not like tonsils were you either have it or you do not. Racism is more like dental hygiene, something you have to work at every day.Why ? Because you are constantly being hit with racist messages every day and unless you keep fighting against it, it will make you more and more racist over time.
    What I posted is the definition what you post is the definition you want so you can live in your little bubble of victimhood to blame others for things you are responsible for.

You don't make it into words and actions you make it into this group can never do anything wrong, you said name calling isn't racist and it doesn't matter if a black person says anything anyway because the victim is white

ReputationRep:
    What I posted is the definition what you post is the definition
    What you posted was an ideology

All I care about is the actions.

you want so you can live in your little bubble of victimhood to blame others for things you are responsible for.
    Shaming tactics don't work with me son.

Secondly on TSR white people love to talk about how they are victims of taxes, big government, immigrants, ISIS, reverse discrimination, “radical Islam,” you name it. White people love victim-hood, so long as they’re the ones who get to choose which victims count.

To tell my nephew and younger brother that they can be anything they want to be if they try hard enough is nice, but unless I warn them about the obstacles in their path. I'm ill-suiting them for the real world.

I'm doing them no favours. In fact, downplaying racism backfires. After all, if they are led to believe that there are no obstacles in their way, and that their hard work, intelligence and ability are all that will matter, they might slack up.

They might coast on the assumption that surely all will recognize their potential, and that they won’t have to go that extra mile to make a good impression. They may overestimate the extent to which whites will recognize their effort and hard work,

On the other hand, by discussing those obstacles honestly(and discussing individual and collective strategies of resistance to them) persons who are the targets of racism can steel themselves against the headwinds in their way.

ReputationRep:

If you want to argue that black people can be racist, then what you are really talking about is name calling.
    No. Racism is a human failing - prejudice based purely on skin colour, and the actions that follow from it. Your addition of a system to the definition brings it into politics, and racism is encountered outside that sphere far more often.

It isn't just name calling, anyway. The actions that arise from racism can include bullying and assault, and apply to people of all colours.

You really need to get rid of the chip on your shoulder and start doing something constructive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Of course you can be racist towards white people! The terms "white boy/girl" and "gringo" are common examples of this. They're actually as rude as the n-word is, however due to double standards no one blinks an eye whenever these words are said - simply because we're white.
    LOL? white boy/girl as an insult can be no way compared at all to the n-word, white people weren't kidnapped from their home lands in the millions,raped and forced to carry out unpaid labour whilst their opressors were have a good ol' time shouting white girls/boys at them.

ReputationRep:
    No. Racism is a human failing - prejudice based purely on skin colour, and the actions that follow from it. Your addition of a system to the definition brings it into politics, and racism is encountered outside that sphere far more often.
    Human failing ?

Nope. A racist person knows he is being racist.

But I suppose if you’re looking to understand why discussions between blacks and whites about racism are so difficult, is because whites and blacks are often not talking about the same thing.

To white folks, racism is seen mostly as individual, as with the uttering of a prejudicial remark.

For blacks, it is that too, but typically more: racism is the pattern and practice of policies and social institutions, which have the effect of perpetuating deeply embedded structural inequalities between people on the basis of race.

To blacks, racism is systemic. To whites, it is purely personal.

These differences in perception make sense, of course. After all, whites have not been the targets of systemic racism in this country, so it is much easier for u to view the matter in personal terms.

But for blk people, racism has long been experienced as an institutional phenomenon. It is the experience of systematized discrimination in housing, employment, schools or the justice system. It is the knowledge that one’s entire group is under suspicion, at risk of being treated negatively because of stereotypes held by persons with the power to act on the basis of those beliefs

It isn't just name calling, anyway. The actions that arise from racism can include bullying and assault, and apply to people of all colours.
    I have never been bullied by any white person. I have never been assaulted by a white person.

So according to your logic - Racism does not exist to me right ? Think. B4 you type. That's very clownish idea you have of racism.

ReputationRep:
    What you posted was an ideology

All I care about is the actions.

Shaming tactics don't work with me son.

Secondly on TSR white people love to talk about how they are victims of taxes, big government, immigrants, ISIS, reverse discrimination, “radical Islam,” you name it. White people love victim-hood, so long as they’re the ones who get to choose which victims count.

To tell my nephew and younger brother that they can be anything they want to be if they try hard enough is nice, but unless I warn them about the obstacles in their path. I'm ill-suiting them for the real world.

I'm doing them no favours. In fact, downplaying racism backfires. After all, if they are led to believe that there are no obstacles in their way, and that their hard work, intelligence and ability are all that will matter, they might slack up.

They might coast on the assumption that surely all will recognize their potential, and that they won’t have to go that extra mile to make a good impression. They may overestimate the extent to which whites will recognize their effort and hard work,

On the other hand, by discussing those obstacles honestly(and discussing individual and collective strategies of resistance to them) persons who are the targets of racism can steel themselves against the headwinds in their way.
    my definition is the dictionary definition not an ideology.
    You say you care about action but you have stated black people can not be racist so their actions shouldn't be held up to the same set of standards as everyone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahmdero)
    LOL? white boy/girl as an insult can be no way compared at all to the n-word, white people weren't kidnapped from their home lands in the millions,raped and forced to carry out unpaid labour whilst their opressors were have a good ol' time shouting white girls/boys at them.
    Actually, Europeans were enslaved by Middle Easterners and Africans centuries before that all started. Get your facts straight before trying to debate please.

Also, since white girl/boy and the n word are both derogatory terms used to address or refer to people with a particular skin color they are in fact equally racist. You need to look up what racism actually is.

ReputationRep:
    So so stupid.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Holy **** how has this reached 16 pages?

ReputationRep:
    my definition is the dictionary definition not an ideology.
    You say you care about action but you have stated black people can not be racist so their actions shouldn't be held up to the same set of standards as everyone else?
    The dictionary is the ideology of racism, which can't be proven.

And yes I'm saying that black people can't be systematically racists to whites.

Racism is when you can deny people jobs, housing, health care, decent educations, or their physical freedom via the justice system, thereby wrecking their lives, when you can poison peoples water supply, as whites did to the people in flint USA, when you can freeze country assets

And there are virtually no black folks who can any of that to whites. But there are white folks in positions to do those things, and who do them regularly.

But if you want to reduce racism to something as unquantifiable as what people think then feel free.

ReputationRep:
    And there are virtually no black folks who can any of that to whites.
    Have you never heard of Robert Mugabe?

ReputationRep:
    The dictionary is the ideology of racism, which can't be proven.

And yes I'm saying that black people can't be systematically racists to whites.

Racism is when you can deny people jobs, housing, health care, decent educations, or their physical freedom via the justice system, thereby wrecking their lives, when you can poison peoples water supply, as whites did to the people in flint USA, when you can freeze country assets

And there are virtually no black folks who can any of that to whites. But there are white folks in positions to do those things, and who do them regularly.

But if you want to reduce racism to something as unquantifiable as what people think then feel free.
    I have used the definition of racism you haven't
    So can people can just redefine words to suit their arguments?

ReputationRep:
    Stupid question.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.