Turn on thread page Beta

Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL) watch

• View Poll Results: Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL)
    Yes
    79.07%
    No
    18.87%
    Undecided
    2.06%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Have you never heard of Robert Mugabe?
    Of course I have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    Holy **** how has this reached 16 pages?
    These threads always reach double figures.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm racist and sexist as I'm a white male.

It's my fault your life is better.

Can we close the thread off now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    As far as I'm concerned, you can be racist to anyone!

Everyone has a race, if you can offend or discriminate, you can be racist to them.
    Ya white ******* (No racism) Coming from a coloured guy

ReputationRep:
    The White English dont hold that much power any more. You only need wander around the London's City or flick on the BBC News to see there are surprisingly few English in top positions. Very few w/e are entering in to professions like medicine, accountancy, science, engineering, finance or IT. This is where the real money and power lies; so many natives in the north can barely even read, write and cook their own food. The white power thing might have had credence 20,30,40 years ago but its all to clear to me that Jewish and Asian people really call the shots here now; Westminster is absolutely full of such people. I think the only people that buy in to this SJW white privilege *******s are student lesbian ******s doing sociology. Once you put down the Guardian you see the reality for what it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I have used the definition of racism you haven't
    So can people can just redefine words to suit their arguments?
    And who get's define what racism is ? White people. Because I'm sure the person who wrote the dictionary was white.

Blacks lack institutional power. We do not, for the most part, control
    • the banks,
    • the police,
    • the courts,
    • the schools,
    • the hospitals,
    • the newspapers,
    • the film industry,
    • the fashion industry,
    • the labour market,
    • the housing market
    Whites do. So white racism affects rates of black unemployment, income, life expectancy, education, segregation and incarceration. Blacks do not even begin to have that kind of power over whites. Blacks understand whites way betterthan whites understand blacks:Because we have to just to feed our families in a society that is mostly white.

Because racism is system and white people control all major systems in the UK (Finanacial, Labour, Entertainment)Because we read white books, watch white television, receive white educations, work at white companies.

We have to deal with whites.Meantime whites can avoid dealing with blacks or having to take them seriously. This makes it hard for blacks to stereotype and dehumanize whites to a serious degree.Blacks do not build their sense of self-worth on looking down on whites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincePauls5777)
    And who get's define what racism is ? White people. Because I'm sure the person who wrote the dictionary was white.

• the banks,
    • the police,
    • the courts,
    • the schools,
    • the hospitals,
    • the newspapers,
    • the film industry,
    • the fashion industry,
    • the labour market,
    • the housing market
    Whites do. So white racism affects rates of black unemployment, income, life expectancy, education, segregation and incarceration. Blacks do not even begin to have that kind of power over whites. Blacks understand whites way betterthan whites understand blacks:Because we have to just to feed our families in a society that is mostly white.

Because racism is system and white people control all major systems in the UK (Finanacial, Labour, Entertainment)Because we read white books, watch white television, receive white educations, work at white companies.

We have to deal with whites.Meantime whites can avoid dealing with blacks or having to take them seriously. This makes it hard for blacks to stereotype and dehumanize whites to a serious degree.Blacks do not build their sense of self-worth on looking down on whites.
    white people don't build their self worth on look down on black people that is a preposterous suggestion. Tbh I don't often think about black people also your other stuff about how whites control this that is kind of nonsense most people are free to live their lives. Our lives are not 'controlled' by anything. Realistically social class is much more of a disadvantage in life than race is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Actually, Europeans were enslaved by Middle Easterners and Africans centuries before that all started. Get your facts straight before trying to debate please.

Also, since white girl/boy and the n word are both derogatory terms used to address or refer to people with a particular skin color they are in fact equally racist. You need to look up what racism actually is.
    I am well aware of the Barbary slave trade but this was a minor catastrophe in comparison of the African slave trade, however the Barbary slave trade did not involve looting European artifacts and disintegrating cultures.
    Also the use of the N word was used and is used in order to imply inferiority, white boy/girl in no way implies inferiority so cannot be compared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    white people don't build their self worth on look down on black people that is a preposterous suggestion.
    I can remember they had a programme on C4 were they asked white folks and blk people what they like about being black, white

For blks the answers always have to do with the pride we feel, coming from families who have struggled against the odds, fought injustice, persevered, and maintained dignity in the face of great obstacles.

In other words, to be black has internal meaning.

But for whites, if they can come up with anything, it is typically something about how nice it is not to have to worry about being racially profiled by police, or how nice it is not to be presumed less competent by employers, or discriminated against when applying for a loan, or looking for a home.

In other words, for whites, their self-definition is wrapped up entirely in terms of what and who they aren’t.

What it means to be white is merely to not be “the other.”

(Original post by karl pilkington)
    Tbh I don't often think about black people
    Of course because white people have created a system where they don't have to think about black people. White people (the vast majority) have no contact with black people, and have all white friends, all white workforce.

ReputationRep:

• the banks,
    • the police,
    • the courts,
    • the schools,
    • the hospitals,
    • the newspapers,
    • the film industry,
    • the fashion industry,
    • the labour market,
    • the housing market

Not you, you have created a discriminatory definition so you can feel better about yourself.
    My self worth isn't built on looking down at blacks.
    You have to deal with the majority what a shock if you want to not have to deal with whites I hear somewhere like Zimbabwe would be nice.
    Racism has nothing to do with systems you just use that to make excuses for yourself.
    You are the one who brings race into everything, you are looking through the world with tinted glasses and confirmation bias.
    A black rights movement wants segregation.
    Incarceration might be because blacks commit a higher rate of crime (7 times more likely to commit murder)

ReputationRep:
    I believe racism exists, you don't, and I believe that racism is systematic. I think I'm in a better position to judge the validity of statement than you are as a white man.
    I believe racism exist and you are a racist.
    You have said because I am white I lack the ability to know what it is and because you are black you are better at it that is racist.

ReputationRep:
    You have said because I am white I lack the ability to know what it is and because you are black you are better at it that is racist.
    Let's just leave it there. When people start to make personal insults I tend to bow out the convo as that's the sign of some one.that has been defeated.

ReputationRep:
    Let's just leave it there. When people start to make personal insults I tend to bow out the convo as that's the sign of some one.that has been defeated.
    You have dismissed my argument because of my race then say I am insulting you, just accept you are actually racist.

You say you believe in racism but are blind to your actions.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but racism towards white people is generally less common than racism towards any other race; in this country at least.

Read Noughts and Crosses for further evidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry Paul, but he's right. You've made a judgement based entirely on his race. That's racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Sorry Paul, but he's right. You've made a judgement based entirely on his race. That's racist.
    This Paul agrees

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahmdero)
    I am well aware of the Barbary slave trade but this was a minor catastrophe in comparison of the African slave trade, however the Barbary slave trade did not involve looting European artifacts and disintegrating cultures.
    Also the use of the N word was used and is used in order to imply inferiority, white boy/girl in no way implies inferiority so cannot be compared.
    Actually, it does imply inferiority because it shows that the person saying it regards white people as lesser beings.

Yes my ancestors did some horrible things but then so did yours. Our ancestors' actions have no influence on ours so arguments such as slavery are irrelevant. I was simply showing that demonising us is ridiculous considering the fact that we've been oppressed by you in the past.

ReputationRep:
    I think some people want to have the monopoly on isms because it makes them feel like more of a victim and more special in a way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by revisionbasher21)
    Ya white ******* (No racism) Coming from a coloured guy
    I have taken your opinion and chosen to disregard it.

ReputationRep:
    You literally have not defeated anyone, you provided anecdotal evidence to support serious debate. As such, you cannot claim a 'victory' because you have NOT persuaded the majority.

You do know how a debate works?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.